5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2015 5:04 PM by ndn RSS

Marriott San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf

kimkdallas Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Stayed here while on business. Although I was working down in the financial district, the closer Marriott properties were booked due to a convention. This isn't a standard business hotel, but it's definitely business friendly. I'd probably come back here on a leisure trip.

Check-in / Service
Overall, checkin was smooth and efficient. I wasn't feeling well and the desk staff seemed genuinely concerned. They were friendly and helpful.

Rooms
Rooms were roomy and well equiped. Somewhat recently redone, but because of the style of hotel, they don't feel as new as the rooms in some of the other properties. Beds were comfy and rooms clean.

Concierge Lounge
The property doesn't have one. They provide vouchers for breakfast in their restaurant and a designated seating area, but don't do anything about the fact that no lounge means no access to bottled water, etc.

Breakfast in the Restaurant
The full buffet breakfast is offered to their Platinum guests. Eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast and a daily specialty item or two were offered. Was actually a nice change from the predictability of lounge breakfast. Service was excellent, including the daily offer of coffee to go!

Location / Taxis
Location is good to the tourist destinations. It's a little difficult to get a cab here early in the morning, and it wasn't always easy to find someone to get one for you.

I'd probably stay somewhere else on business, but would definitely consider this property for a fun weekend.

• Re: Marriott San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Kim,

This is a very well done report.  It really covers the way our experience recently was and more.

This is a place we really recommend for first timers on a long week-end.

We tend to fly into Oakland and then take the public transportation.  We always have a great time.

Thanks again!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Boeing1 Gold 2 Reviews

This is pretty accurate.  However we had a slightly different experience.  We had a 10 year old grand daughter along for her birthday trip (we do that with each grand child when 10 yrs old).  Upon arriving in our room we noticed a smoker had previously occupied  the room.  (we understand they will be fined $250.00).  We called down and requested to be moved or would pay for an upgrade.  Neither was stated as possible, although we arrived at check in time.  They did offer 2000 points and a bottle of champagne (which we returned to the front desk); all which I felt was ineffective. An ozone machine was put in our room while we were out for dinner.   It cleaned the air, but did not take residue off of curtains, etc. so the smell remained.  We were there for 3 days.  There was no follow up, no attempt to move us to a different room or hotel.  The room staff needs training to alert the front desk of a smoker room.  The front desk needs to be trained that this is unacceptable and lack of options on their part does not make the problem go away.  I would not recommend this hotel due to lack of staff capability.  There was also very little info on what to do and where to go.  Yes their site has links...but no advice.  The concierge desk was not staffed much of the time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

This is very sad to read as we've stayed at Fisherman's Wharf too many times to count and always have a wonderful time.  The room has always been perfectly clean and functional, Concierge Desk staffed even late into the evening and Front Desk associates polite and friendly. 

Simply walking around the area there are many spots to visit and eat within North Beach, Chinatown, Ghiradelli Square, Embarcadaro and Union Station to name a few.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I would have been more persistent. I know that sometimes front desk agents claim they can't move you but they can. You should not have to be exposed to the smell because an obnoxious lazy jerk stayed in the room before you. If the front desk won't do it, escalate to their supervisor and if need be the GM of the property. On a three night stay, the first night you may be stuck but for the next two they should have been able to move you. I am sorry to hear you had that experience.

ndn Platinum

Thanks for the review. I go to SF about 5 times a year for 5-10 days each time. I have stayed at EVERY full-service Marriot and Ritz property in SFO and SFO airport except for this hotel. I stay away from Fisherman's Wharf generally. I actually chose the Oakland full-service Marriott over this property once, and your review may sway me to try it out should nothing else be available. I have found that the Ritz-Carlton is my top choice, but I can only get to stay there when the rates permit. My company has a deep discount and high availability contract with the JW, so I tend to be at the JW about 50% of my stays. When the JW is not available, there is usually NOTHING available for me. Now perhaps I will try out the Fisherman's Wharf property. Are the amenities standard Marriott? Or are they catering more towards tourists?    

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...