35 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2016 9:31 PM by GoldenBoy RSS

Tell us about your handle (your Insiders name) - What's your story?

greekbecky Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

GreekBecky:  I'm Greek (1/2 Greek and 1/2 Austrian actually) and my name is Becky.

I wish it was a more exciting, but I'm sure there are other members have better stories to tell...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Albuquerque Marriott Pyramid North
  • Re: Tell us about your handle (your Insiders name) - What's your story?
    guidedog613 Platinum 6 Reviews

A post last summer asked the same question with some interesting responses

What's Behind Your Insider User Name?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Mine is pretty simple - sent my kids and my money to Penn State.  Go STATE!

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I'm from New Hampshire and, as I'm lifetime Platinum, I obviously travel!

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

My favourite Album (CD for younger readers) by Santana - Moonflower.

nmballoonist Platinum

Nothing real original.  I live in New Mexico and am a balloon owner and pilot, hence NMBalloonist and my profile picture.

greekbecky Platinum

WOW!!!  Now that is a interesting reason.  I always wanted to go to the festival and take pics.  You probably already have, but I bet folks would love to see some pics.  Now I'm going to be going down the google rat hole on balloon piloting, etc.

nmballoonist Platinum

Ok, I will post a few pictures from various times.  Three of the four have a really nice looking red and white balloon in them. I always tell people they need to see it in person because pictures don't do it justice.  If you go to the Balloon Fiesta web site, there is a lot of info on the event.  There is also a link at the site, The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Photo Galleries , where you can see photos by some of Fiesta's official photographers.

If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Launch

IMG_6963.jpg

Incoming

IMG_6909.jpg

Incoming Wave.JPG

Over target area

PDTooField.JPG

nmballoonist Platinum

We also have gas balloons and fireworks

Gas Balloons.jpg

And Darth

Darth.jpg

I shamelessly plug Balloon Fiesta every chance I get.

Location Brand Hotel
        Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Albuquerque Marriott Pyramid North
    keglerbill Platinum 1 Reviews

Kegler is the German word for bowler. I'm a bowler. Name is Bill.

Hence, keglerbill.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I apologise for the repeated postings here, I tried to change a lopsided photo and it all went as wrong as only IT can make it wrong.

So after messing around maybe 10 times over 3 hours I finally decided only a complete repost would work, so sorry about this non-entry!

My missus sent me to Loud-Shirts-Anonymous, it's a bit like Alcoholics Anonymous for the tasteless.

Me: Hi Everyone, I'm Bob

image.jpeg

Everyone: Hi Bob

Me: And I wear blindingly bright shirts

image.jpeg

Everyone: Hi BrightlyBob

And that's how it happened, honest...

image.jpeg

greekbecky Platinum

Those are great!!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob

Please note that young children view this site and I for one would appreciate if you would only post photos where you are fully dressed.

On behalf of the community I thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Now hold on a sec there misterchk this is a reputable site where we discuss travel, airfares, hotel lounges, points and miles. What kind of slummy parent allows their children to view websites like this? Those parents need to protect their kids from these environs, I would suggest the K9 browser!

I feel photos of my naked knees are, though decidedly risqué, acceptable viewing for adults of a certain age...

Platinum 28 Reviews

I agree with you - this site was accepteble for viewing of all ages until those shorts and shirt appeared.

Also, it is never warm enough in Manchester to dress like that, may I assume you were "on holiday"?

Those living in Southern England say "it's grim up north", but in reality it's just a bit cold... And grey... And wet... Very wet... And dark... And really cold.

But that enables us to appreciate warm weather, and for me warm weather means any day where it's not snowing. And warm weather day is Hawaiian shirt and shorts day. The top picture was taken in early March at the entrance of the VDNKh in Moscow, a Sovietized theme park built in the 1950's to celebrate, um, Sovietization. The lack of snow on the ground meant shorts and Hawaiian shirt were in order. Alas it snowed the following day and for the rest of our visit so my wife forbade me wearing them further! Let me tell you, Moscow is darn cold dressed only in Y fronts!

nmballoonist Platinum

Platinum 28 Reviews

To remain in Witness Protection my agreement with the government precludes me from revealing my name.

AZDesertRat Platinum

Very simple.     I live in the desert and I'm an attorney.

carolinagirl13 Silver 2 Reviews

Pretty boring story here.  I am a loud and proud resident of South Carolina.  During pre-marital counseling, my husband and I had an assignment to come up with a list of places we thought we could live without much argument from either side.

This was a little more difficult than it sounds. I married a guy I like to call "Southern Boy" who gets all stiff and reptilian if the temperature dips below 55.

And although I claim the South as my home now?  I was born and raised in Colorado.  Where there snow and skiing and winter!

Our list of peaceable living places turned out to be 4 states long with South Carolina at the very BOTTOM of my list. And then it was only on the list as sort of a "Great Compromise" type thing because Southern Boy's big brother lived there.

So Southern Boy - also known as Tech Support at our house - called me one day.  I was on vacation.  Without him.  In Colorado.  In the mountains.  Where it is cold.  And he said words that made me cry: I interviewed for a new position.  I got the job if I want it.  It's in South Carolina.       

He was excited.

I was devastated.

My next move was to call my dad and blubber, "I don't want to move to South Carolina!  I LIKE Tennessee!"  I'm sure he was very proud of his daughter in her mid-40's who was freaking out about spiders and snakes and hurricanes.  Oh my!

Really strange thing happened though.

The feeling of 'home" that I lost during my parents nasty, awful divorce when I was 10, I finally found again...in Irmo, South Carolina.

Of all places!  South Carolina is always the last place you think of to look!  But that is where I found that feeling of home that my soul had been searching for all this time.

And my favorite number has always been 13.

So...CarolinaGirl13

Oddly, the house we bought in Irmo has an address of 313.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

greekbecky Platinum

Simply Stunning...please tell the lady in the first picture that she has a tail, lol.

nmballoonist Platinum

The back story regarding the tail.  When the Balloon Fiesta started many years ago, the organizers wanted the Launch Directors to stand out in the crowd, so they were given black and white striped referee jerseys and coats.  Because of the black and white stripes, they became affectionately know as the zebras.  Now there is kind of informal competition to see who best personifies a zebra.  So she is just finding her "inner zebra".  Google "Balloon Fiesta Zebras" to find much more info.  We could not safely launch 500 balloons (1000 in the year 2000) without the hard work of all of these volunteers.

greekbecky Platinum

I think that is a very heart-felt, lovely story.  We all have to make decisions that seem risky at the time, but it all works out in the end.  I'll be in SC next month and will raise a drink to you while I'm there!

GoldenBoy Platinum

I'm Marriott Lifetime Gold Elite, and am a couple of years away from attaining Lifetime Platinum (can I change my name to Plattyboy? LOL)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...