27 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2016 11:48 AM by carat RSS

when ending the Rewards year ?

didjworld Gold 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

hello together

when ending the rewards year....end of december 15 or end of january 16 or mid ??

thanks for answer and all the best to every single human

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: when ending the Rewards year ?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Reward year ends December 31 for nights credited but I believe February 28 for status changes

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

didjworld Gold 2 Reviews

Thank you very much for this info

Happy new year as well Never too late for wishing

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

As for earning nights, the year ends on December 31, but it takes a couple weeks before Marriott resets the counter. Until that happens, you'll still see totals from last year. In 2015, it took until January 17 for the counter to be reset.

As for when elite status changes, that will take place in February. I don't recall exactly when (early or late in the month). This last part in only relevant to anyone who did not earn enough nights to retain their current status.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

AS bejacob says, except that I have been busted from Plat down to Gold, and that happened around 20th Feb, so about a week before end Feb for those who didn't quite make it in 2015

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

brightlybob, I so hope you're right.  I will be bumped down too, and am keeping my fingers crossed that it won't happen until after we check into the new JW Cabo San Lucas on Feb. 15th.  I have decided not to spend the 40k points to keep the status this year (and the bonus points that go along with it.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

pluto77,

I just looked at my wife's Gold Rewards card from last year and it shows good through 2/2015, so if that holds true in 2016 which I believe it does you'll be fine in SJD.

Platinum 28 Reviews

To add a little more support - my cards have always listed an expiry date of  02/2***

You should be OK checking in 15th Feb, though in terms of upgrades I saw no discernible difference between gold and plat, so to me Plats value is solely for its higher points.

The 40k Plat buyback option can represent good value, depending upon your stay pattern and hotel choices. Staying in FS properties gives you 500 checkin points and at CY both 400 points and a market item that is easily worth the other 100. In other words, for the purposes of buyback the new strengthened CY checkin amenity is now worth the same as FS. If you typically stay 40 nights at $200 per night (totalling 20,000 points), 20 of which are 1-nighters (totalling 10k arrival points) 20 as 2-nighters (totalling 5k arrival points) and your incidental spend is $2,000 over the 40 nights (totalling 5k extra points on those spends) then you'll get your outlay back, even though you haven't managed enough nights for Gold. 60 nights on the same ratio sees a profit of 20,000 points from the outlay.

As always, whilst the silver buyback is a straight "no" at 7,500 points, the Gold a straight "yes" for any member staying more than 10 nights at FS hotels per year, Plat buyback remains marginal for any member who falls short of Gold but makes sense to those who easily make Gold each year, but fail plat by just 10-20 nights.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Excellent analysis Bob!  In the future, a Marriott Rewards VISA can easily make up for the missing nights.  15 nights just for having and yusing the card and then another night for each $3,000 spent with the card.  I always pick up at least 30 nights credit with my Chase Marriott VISA.

Top Catch phctourist

For those who are serious about their Marriott Rewards, and anyone staying 40 or so nights at Marriotts is likely to be, the Chase card is a no brainier with its 5 extra points/$ at Marriotts, 1 EQN per $3,000 spent and annual 15 EQN it could be said that in reality if you have the Chase card there's no point in the Plat buyback. If of course, like me, and a sizeable minority on this forum, you don't live in USA and hence can't get the Chase card, then my original observations on Plat buyback remain valid...

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

And a real free night at level 5 each year

Another miss by me! My excuse is that I don't have access to the card.

I wish I did (Marriott, hint, hint))

Yes, good analysis, Bob.  Unfortunately, analysis of my 2016 planned travel renders the buyback a poor choice for me. Having said that, this is another one of those years where it's possible that plans could take a major turn, in which case, I could regret my decision, but as I cannot foretell the future, it will have to stand. Not a big deal in the big picture of life.  The truth is, even with the C/C, I struggle to make 50 nights each year.  I'm always hovering around 45-49.  Having family located strategically (like this year, Phoenix, thus negating the hotel expense for spring training), saves me a great deal of money on hotel expenses, but does little to support my hotel loyalty status (while at the same time greatly supports my frequent flyer status.)  Getting credit for point stays will improve this situation immensely, but unfortunately/fortunately, depending on how you look at it, we're using my Mom's points for Italy, and she'll probably want the other nights on her MR acct as well.  It will all balance out when Spain and Greece roll around (2017/2018.)  I'll be batting 4th for those. Hey, it's all good!

Pchtourist, the Marriott co-branded C/C is for sure a no brainier. 

jawjagary Platinum

It is sad in my opinion that Mariott has such an attitude about those of us at the breakpoint between silver and gold. I actually had 50 nights because I stayed in a property 12/30 and 12/31, but so far have not been able to get 2015 credit because I checked out on 1/1. I submitted the information online, but alas, Marriott in its infinite wisdom doesn't seem to care that they don't take care of this situation and therefore have a pissed off customer. I just read where a platinum got their status extended a year without having 75 nights, but apparently that corduality only applies to platinum status,  and I actually have the 50 nights and they wont credit me with gold. If you are on the edge of a status change, based on my experience so far, don't look for any favors from Marriott. I'll probably have enough nights for 2016 to go platinum due to work requirements, but based on this lack of taking care of something so trivial, I'll choose my leisure travel with another brand of its not a points free night. I have other brands that seem to want to make its 50 night customers very happy, but apparently Marriott isn't one of them. Sorry to be the downer in this thread,  but beware the end of the year disappointment like I had. I can literally say " Thanks for nothing Marriott"! I'll update if something changes, and please comment if you have some guidance in getting things like this resolved. Maybe I just don't know the system. Chats and emails don't work.

Message was edited by: jawjagary. There were many comments, and I'm gold for 2016. Thanks for all the comments and help in understanding the system. I am looking forward to staying at more properties this year since Marriott did make it right. I will never push this to the last day of the year again. It is way too confusing for me...lol. So this upset person, for a short period of time, is once again happy in the Marriott world. Thanks for the shoulder to cry on. It at least made me feel like somebody cared...

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

For whatever reason, chats and emails are less effective than phone calls. I've always found that calling the customer service line yields the best results. Don't give up yet. I'd call and explain the situation. It's possible that a short phone conversation will sort things out to your satisfaction. Maybe someday chats and emails will be the way to go, but at the moment, calling is the best option.

letlowjl Gold

The exact thing happened to me.  I stayed 4 nights & my last night was actually on Jan 1. They credited me with 3 nights for 2015. And I guess the other one will be for 2016 This left me with 49 for the year.  However I believe I will start the new year with 39 nights roll over plus the 1 night and will reach gold quickly in 2015.  And, by having the roll over nights I will probably reach platinum by mid year.

An odd thing did happen to me though.  Several weeks before the year I was showing 55 nights.  Around Christmas, it changed and dropped down to 46.  Don't know what happened and I guess I will probably call them someday.

letlowjl, Hopefully they will go ahead and grand you gold retention even though you are the one night short (I would call C/S to discuss the one night not posting to 2015 while also conveying that it's important to you to retain your gold status), but I would caution you regarding the rollover nights.  If you do end up with only 49 nights and you do fall back to silver (however unlikely in my mind), you will not start the year with any rollover nights.  When a customer drops down an elite level, nights do not rollover.

jawjagary Platinum

I am kind of thinking that the rollover effect will be better to qualify for a couple years of platinum too. Thanks carat. I think your advice is sound.

jawjagary,

I'm not sure I understand the exact nature of your issue (are you having trouble getting the nights to post at all, or have they posted, but the last night didn't count for 2016?)  If your nights are not posting at all, you can call C/S if they haven't posted within two weeks after checking out, and Marriott will credit the stay.  If the issue is just with the last night posting, but not counting for 2015, hmmm, I've never heard of that.  It seems to me that a "night" stayed should count on the date of the "night."  Maybe others can weigh in here regarding this devil within the details.

As far as you being on the "edge" of renewing gold status, and Marriott not crediting you with gold, how do you know that they won't?  I can tell you for a fact, that I have been on the "edge" of gold a number of times and Marriott has gone ahead and credited me with gold status, based on a composite of my stay history over the prior three years (how it was explained to me).  This is not just for platinum customers.  It takes time at the beginning of the year for MR to determine these things for millions of customers who are on the "edge", so I say, keep your chin up.  They may grant it to you yet.  Also, when calling C/S, and I absolutely agree with bejacob's advice - call - make sure you present yourself as a customer that Marriott (or anyone) would want to bend over backwards for, ie positive, polite, courteous, etc.

jawjagary Platinum

I have been away from traveling for several years, but my new job has changed that. Moving up to silver is higher than I was the year before, so there should be rollover nights. I think I'm just going to be happy and take the rollover. By the time everything is figured out, and the rollover occurs, I'll already be qualified for gold anyway. Then by July, I should have my platinum qualification too. That is, as long as my rollover does apply (and it should). THanks for all the feedback everyone.

Sounds like a solid strategy, jawjagary.

jawjagary Platinum

Just saw that I got gold with my 48 nights. Guess from now on I'll just wait and let everything sift itself out. Thanks for the support.

jawjagary Platinum

Pluto77, just saw on the website that I did indeed make gold. I forget that when the end of the year happens that there are probably millions of adjustments that some poor souls have to make within the system and it takes a while. I think that the thing that upset me was the chat person that agreed with me in the beginning of the chat and then didn't at the end. It was if I had spent points nights and $500+ that I really didn't need to. Things are good now. Thanks for the input.

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

Wait before you assume you won't be granted Gold status.  Last year I didn't get notice that they bumped me up until February.  Had 49 nights and forgot to cancel my New year's night, so paid for the 50th night, but didn't get credit.  Wisely, they renewed my gold status.  If you can be patient til February, you may learn that they bumped you up, too!

jawjagary Platinum

chantauquany, it's already happened. I do show gold status. Thanks for the support. I keep forgetting that they have thousands of activities that have to occur before everything is settled for the year, so from here on out, will just chill until Feb....lol.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi jawjagary.  Apologies for the frustration this has caused.  I'd like to take a deeper look into this on your behalf.  Would you mind sending me your Rewards number?  Thanks in advance.

didjworld Gold 2 Reviews

Thank you too all for your answer

Keep happy this new year for all

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...