4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2016 4:54 AM by brightlybob RSS

74 nights this year

takw Gold
Currently Being Moderated

hi,

I normally hit Gold and my average annual stays range from 50 to 60s nights. There was one year where i had 49 nights only, and i called customer service, they gave me the extra night so i can stay on gold.

This year, i am finishing with 74 elite night stay and i know platinum is 75 nights.

If i call and they really gave me the extra night, and made me a platinum for 2016, does that mean i will not have any rollover to next year anymore?

If i stay as gold and do not call to beg for Platinum, so i should have 24 nights rollover to next year, so with 26 nights of stay next year in 2016, i should be able to hit Gold in 2017 again. The reason why i ask is i worry i may not have as many travel next year but i would like to stick with Gold.

is my math correct?

Thanks,

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: 74 nights this year
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Your math is correct (assuming you didn't have any rollover nights from 2014).  If your 74 nights includes any rollover from last year, you will have to subtract those from the 24 nights you expect to rollover.

The other thing to remember is that if you make Platinum, even if you fail to reach 75 nights next year, you will only drop one level (back to Gold) for 2017. Marriott calls it a "soft landing."

I'd hope for the Platinum status and forego the rollover nights. That said, starting with a fair number of rollover nights isn't a bad place to be. My guess is that if you were already Platinum and had 74 nights, you might be successful in keeping your status. Asking for one extra night so you can move up to the next tier, might be a bit more difficult.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for the great insight, bejacob.  If you have any additional questions, takw, feel free to reach out. 

I also notice you are new around here.  Welcome to the Insider Community!  I'm sure you've poked around and have found that this is a great place to talk about all things travel related.  From sharing recommendations and experiences to learning the ins and outs of the Rewards program, we cover it all.  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators here along with lindseyh and deannad.  If you ever have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to reach out to any of us, we're here to help.  I've also included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case. 

Getting Started Guide

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Once fell one night short of gold and that is a much worse situation as you end up at silver . Your points are well taken . If it was me and I had no roll overs in the 74 I would keep gold and get a great head start toward 2016

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Marriott may well comp you Plat status for 2016 as you're so close. If not, as jerryl has pointed out the 24 rollover nights should guarantee you keeping hold of Gold and give you a fighting chance for Plat by yearend.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...