16 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2016 11:26 AM by Hoosteve RSS

How to Calculate Rollover Nights

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Every year about this time, the question of rollover nights comes up.

How many rollover nights will I get?

What happened to my rollover nights from last year?

Why didn't I get any rollover nights?

The formula is pretty simple.

Start with the number of nights earned for the current year

Subtract any rollover nights carried over from the previous year

Subtract the number of nights to maintain your current status (10, 50, or 75)

The result is the number of rollover nights to begin the new year.

Here are a few visual examples that may help.

I end 2015 with 94 nights as shown below.

nights.PNG

Number of nights 94

Rollover from last year 0

Number to maintain Platinum 75

94 - 0 - 75 = 19

I'll start 2016 with 19 rollover nights and will need to earn 56 nights in 2016 to stay Platinum in 2017.

Suppose I ended 2015 with the same 94 nights but had 10 rollover nights from 2014.

nights_roll10.png

Number of nights 94

Rollover from last year 10

94 - 10 - 75 = 9

I would begin 2016 with 9 rollover nights and will need to earn 66 nights in 2016 to stay Platinum in 2017.

What if I rolled over 20 nights from 2014 and still end with the same 94 nights?

nights_roll20.png

Number of nights 94

Rollover from last year 20

94 - 20 - 75 = -1

Anything zero or below means no rollover nights and I have to earn 75 nights in 2016 to retain Platinum for 2017.

Previous year rollover nights always seem to trip people up. Just remember to subtract those first since they don't rollover again.

One other thing to remember. If you drop down a level because you didn't have enough nights to retain your current level, there are no rollover nights at all.

It's pretty simple once you understand. The tricky part is reaching that basic understanding.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How to Calculate Rollover Nights
    rlswider Platinum 7 Reviews

Thanks this is a great review , I agree many people forget that you cant roll over twice.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jt15550 Platinum

Well this completely throws off my lifetime night calculations.  I'm going into 2016 with 60 rollover nights - although I had learned that they don't rollover twice, I was really hoping that after the first 15 nights to retain platinum, every additional night would have counted twice towards my lifetime total upon 2017 rollover.

After redoing all my estimates, looks like I'm still going to hit 750 lifetime nights with 2017 rollover factored in, just a little later in the year.  On the plus side, point awards count for nights, which winds up helping a bit.

Thanks for the write-up.

cdaytona9 Gold

Interesting.  Thanks.

What if I have lifetime silver status?

Just earned gold for 51 nights this year.

Would that mean 24 nights needed next year to maintain gold?

Nights Detail

• Nights stayed 26
      • Paid:26
      • Redeemed:0
    • Bonus nights 25
      • Promotional:0
      • Rewards Credit Card:0
      • Rewarding Events:0
      • 2014 rollover:25
    • 2015 total 51

-Thanks.

Nope. Lifetime status just means you'll never drop below that level. Based on your numbers, you will have no rollover nights for 2016.

Total nights - 2014 rollover nights - 50 needed to stay Gold = rollover nights. (Colors added match with numbers below).

51 - 25 - 50 = -24. Anything less than zero becomes zero rollover.

What your 25 nights that rolled over from 2014 did is allowed you to retain Gold for another year. Without those nights, 26 nights would have meant Silver for you next year.

Other things you might consider to earn more nights in 2016. Sign up for the Marriott Rewards credit card. You'll earn 15 nights each year, plus an additional night for every $3000 you spend. Also add your birthday to your Marriott profile. You get a bonus night earned on your birthday.

cdaytona9 Gold

Thanks... I guess I will see in a week when the update all the numbers.

It may start me at Silver and 25 days like it did last January...  But I would not bet on it...

So, now that nights have reset for the new year, how did the rollover nights work out?

I expected 19 rollover nights based on my 94 nights earned in 2015.

2015 rollover.PNG

How about that? Exactly as predicted.

And what about lifetime nights? Remember that rollover nights also add to lifetime nights.

nights_lifetime.PNG     2016 lifetime.PNG

Sure enough. Lifetime nights are up by 23 nights (not just the 4 nights earned so far this year).

Of course, rollover nights expire after one year, so to get any rollover nights for 2017, I'd need to reach 99 or more nights in 2016. That's not likely to happen. On the plus side, I only have to earn 52 more nights to retain Platinum. With 15 coming from my Marriott Rewards credit card (plus more depending on how much I spend) and 1 night credit on my birthday, the number of nights I need to actually stay at a Marriott to keep my Platinum status will be less than 36.

While rollover nights may not be all that important, they do help maintain (or gain) status and do provide a modest bump to lifetime nights. Some don't like them. For travelers like me who typically stay 30-40 nights a year, they are extremely welcome.

jl3549 Platinum

My nights have reset. I was a little below platinum level, but my status is still showing as platinum....have those been reset yet and perhaps Marriott rewarded me by being close and are allowing me to keep platinum status?  Or is the actual status change still pending until later in the year?

THanks

2015 status lasts until the beginning of February. If your status didn't renew for 2016, you'll see that change in a couple more weeks.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

You probably were renewed as Platinum.  Call the Elite line to confirm and I'll bet they'll tell you that your status has been renewed .

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

My platinum status renewed for another year.  I received the 2016 elite benefits package in the mail a few weeks ago.  Not sure if they're all mailed at the same time, though. Call customer service and they can tell you over the phone.

dyeliad Platinum 1 Reviews

Have the Rollover nights been calculated yet or do we have to wait until February to see? I *think* I ended 2015 with exactly 75 nights but it took 3 weeks for them to post my last stay on Dec. 30, so I'm unclear on if everything will work out without having to call.

You should be able to see your rollover nights now. That doesn't mean a call won't be needed.

Hoosteve Silver

The rollover example at the top is freakin' awesome.  I have 1 final clarifying point. bejacob

In your last scenario:  Do you start 2016 as Gold or Platinum?

I understand that at some point in 2015 you crossed 75 and thus achieved Platinum.  I think in past years (prior to rollover) you would automatically get Platinum for 2016 - and start 2016 at 0 and better get earning.

I was a good member awhile ago but "out of the game" for a bit.  I have the cc etc and am Silver - resuming travel in Sept.  I am thinking best for me to NOT hit 50 in 2016 and rollover a lot to have good head start for 2017.  I think I'd rather be silver thru Q1 2017 (predicted time to reach Gold w/ good rollover, cc. etc....and a better chance for Platinum in 2017) as opposed to getting gold late December 2016 and starting 2017 at 0. (I do have some rollover from 2015)...i.e sacrifice about 3-4 months of no gold.

I lied.  I have a second clarifying point.  Something else you say in another post is new (good) news to me.

Are you saying we get "double" credit where rollover nights count towards Lifetime status.  I assume we get credit when earned during year - and then ones carried over also get added to lifetime nights?  (my prob is on the point earning side - working on that - but nice to know about the calc of nights).  If I understand this correctly, a minor incentive to carry over like I say above.

In all the examples in my original post, the new year began as Platinum. The best way to think of it is that you are not earning your status for the current year, you're earning it for next year, but you get to take advantage of it as soon as you qualify.

Your strategy of possibly holding back on reaching Gold can be useful. Yes, you will miss a few months at Gold, but if you reach 50 nights fairly early in the year, that doesn't really matter. In fact, you almost gain an extra year at Gold (if you start 2017 at Silver and reach Gold by, say April, you'll retain Gold until Feb 2019, as opposed to Feb 2018 if you crossed the mark before Dec 31). A lot depends on your travel plans, but you seem to have a good plan in place on how to maximize things.

As you note, rollover nights effectively count "double" when figuring lifetime nights. You get credit for all nights when earned and then when the new year begins, your rollover night are credited to you lifetime points as noted in the post above (effectively making them count twice).

Hoosteve Silver

Thanks for all the info/confirmation.  With the help of you and many others, I think I have achieved "black belt" of understanding.  ha ha

The $3,000/1 night credit conversation (the credit card) was also very helpful.  I also made a clarifying contribution there, I hope.