46 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2016 8:57 AM by KatieC RSS

The most Rewarding time of the year...

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member
Currently Being Moderated

The New Year is quickly approaching – Can you believe it?! With the New Year comes resolutions, and travel resolutions are the best resolutions on Insiders.

Mine is to travel outside the United States at least once. Over the past couple of years, I’ve dedicated my travel time to exploring all the diverse regions and cultures that the U.S. has to offer. It’s been amazing, but it’s been a while since I’ve been anywhere international, and this year I’m going to explore someplace new. I haven’t decided where I’ll be heading to yet. Mexico, Iceland, Ecuador/Peru/Chile, and South Africa are at the top of my list. Right now I’m leaning more towards Mexico or South America, because another resolution on my list is to brush up on my Spanish!

What are yours? Do you want to:

• Explore a new city?
  • Explore your home town/city/state more?
  • Take a solo trip?
  • Practice a new language?
  • Invest in new luggage or gear?
  • Volunteer or work abroad?

Or maybe there is something that you know you don’t want to do in 2016?  Whatever your travel resolutions, I’d love to hear them!

Here are few threads from year’s past that focus on Insider’s travel resolutions. Some great conversations and ideas in these!

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/67910#67910

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/100667#100667

Can’t wait to hear from all of you. Thanks in advance for sharing!

Not an Insider yet?

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to post

or join Marriott Reward

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Share Your Travel Resolutions
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Mine is to find a way to get back to Maui in 2016 and to have a trip planned down under by the end of 2016 for 2017. 

Maui will be s tough task as we already have trips on the board and tickets bought for Mexico a couple of times as well as the Oregon Coast.  And the wife says she needs to work some in the new year whatever that means.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Also plan a trip down under for feb 2017

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

Can't wait to see pictures of your trip, jerryl!

Maui is beautiful, but the Oregon Coast is magical.

Agree melissaerb as you know we LOVE the Oregon Coast very very much and it gives us a chance to visit Portland on the way home for a night at the City Center Marriott which we love very much.

Platinum 28 Reviews

My Travel Resolution For 2016 is to adhere to the philosophy:

"IT DOESN'T COST ANY MORE TO GO FIRST CLASS - YOU JUST DON'T GET TO STAY AS LONG"

Continue to go to nice places. So far planned Las Vegas twice and Hawaiian cruise thru may

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

misterchk, I am going to borrow your travel philosophy!

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert

Upon credit approval you will have access to my philosophy.

Each time you advise someone of it the royalty due me is $0.25.  If you choose to practice the philosophy the royalty due is $1.00 per vacation - (these prices include our "Friends and Family Discount"

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

lindseyh,

What a terrific question you've posed.  It forces one to sit down and think about both near and long term travel goals.  Thanks for putting it out here!

A trip to Coors Field next year will complete my goal of sojourning to every MLB ball park in the NL West Division.  I am also hoping this year to knock off one other MLB ball park on my MLB stadium bucket list.  I think it most likely will be National's Park in DC.  These two ball parks (aside from my home ball park in SF) will likely be all that I can fit in this year.  Actually, I think there's a decent chance that I may visit Anaheim Stadium, though I have attended games and concerts there in the distant past.

I am hoping to attend Spring Training in Phoenix for the first time ever (and maybe the last) in March.

In 2014, I did a half marathon, but didn't finish, due to a foot injury that I sustained during training.  I am hoping that 2016 will be the year that I achieve my goal of completing a half marathon.  I am looking towards Virginia.

This is my second year qualifying as MVP with AS.  I plan on continuing the streak indefinitely.

This is silly I know, but I would like to earn the JW brand badge.  One more stay will do it.  (It's as good of an excuse as any to stay more often at JW's, the real goal. )  One RC stay would be nice too.

I am reticent to share this travel resolution out of some embarrassment, and also, I don't think I can accomplish it in it's entirety in 2016, perhaps not even in 2017, but I have a desire to fly on every Alaska Airlines theme plane in their main (non-regional) fleet. This will take some doing, as I will need to be able to track specific aircraft flight schedules, so that I will know which flights to book.  I may need some cooperation with the airline to make this happen.  It could get a little bit expensive too.

I really just want to get through my last year in my chosen profession, having given my best and passed on the right tools to my young successors.

Spring training is a great experience. Of course I live in Phoenix and on average go to 3-4 games and make sure to see different teams. Fields are great and players relaxed and usually sign a lot of autographs for the kids

Platinum 28 Reviews

jerryl

Your mention of Spring Training started a thought process that reviewed what I have experienced and not experienced in my love of baseball over the last 65 years (Yup! saw my first game when I was five).

Over that period I estimate attending close to 2000 games, in ten different cities. Beginning with the two Los Angeles minor league teams (Angels and Stars) prior to 1958 when the Dodgers arrived and since.  I even had the honor of seeing Jackie Robinson play in Ebbets Field on Summer trips  (1954-55-56) visiting relatives in my birthplace (Brooklyn). Unfortunately I was too young to understand the significance of his presence on the "diamond"

What I haven't experienced is Spring Training!  Navigating the 18 miles from my doorstep to BUR (in normal traffic) takes as long as it does to fly to PHX -.

So, thanks, Jerry, the first plan for 2016 is to attend a Spring Training game or two,,,,,,,,,,,,,

(hard to believe that I start the countdown to the date pitchers and catchers report - seems the season ended yesterday).

I-5 along the Burbank corridor is ghastly.

wait to go to about week three as the first two weeks there are a lot of numbers 99 if you get my drift

Platinum 28 Reviews

pluto77

Realizing my love of the game has never been experienced during Spring Training, I as well hope to visit AZ soon.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

My resolution is to stop being so darn cheap and go for quality over quantity.  This applies to destinations, hotels, airlines, and food!  I also resolve to go someplace new each year.  2016 will be Aruba.  2017 will be Australia.  2018 will be Hong Kong.  2019 will be 25-year wedding anniversary return to the UK where we did our honeymoon, so I guess that doesn't count as a new destination.  Spouse is a compulsive planner in case you can't tell.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

A good start for our travel resolutions in 2016 will be to just remember that our pets will be just fine while we are gone!!  We always have great arrangements for them, but sometimes I am reluctant to go on longer trips. This year I am determined to make our Alaska trip happen....and go from there  

It is really hard having to leave pets behind. You can't help but feel bad! Alaska is on my destinations list as well. I was there once on a cruise, so only got a small taste of what each town and area has to offer. I'd love to do a road trip there and really do some exploring.

I always worry about my pets as well.  Whenever we leave the house, they have no idea if we will be gone 15 minutes or 15 days.  Except if there is luggage involved, their anxiety is definitely a lot higher.

pluto77,

You are so right, our little babies don't actually realize how long we are missing unless our little girl finds a roll-a-board or two leaving the bedroom for the back door.  We now try to hide our packing from her and I try to sneak it out the door so she doesn't see them.  But like most kitties she knows they are already being packed even in other rooms with the doors shut.  We always have a the best pet sitter yet still miss our little baby.

Jsucool76 Gold

My travel resolutions are pretty simple. Travel more. Between marriott and hilton, I clocked in like 55 nights total. Subtract the 15 from the credit card, and that leaves me at a paltry 40.

I'm in the process of making plans to visit portland oregon either this upcoming march, or this upcoming summer (june-ish) all because of an insiders member that had to go and post about how great it was. cough cough kharada46 That'll be a new city for me, so i guess that falls into the "resolutions" of exploring a new city. It'll also be my first trip out that far west. My current most westerly point being new orleans, which is hardly west.

I'd like to do more travel abroad. My trip to germany (and my day trip to london) was my first time leaving the US since I was in 11th grade (6 or 7  years ago, im bad at math), so thats definitely on my list of things to do.

Most importantly, I'd like to get some more points and credit cards to help pay for all this stuff. I've got 100k amex membership rewards points sitting in my account, waiting to be transferred to virgin and used for an australia trip. Unfortunately, no one I know wants to spend money to get themselves to australia, so I may have to go that one alone. Oh well.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I take no responsibility Jsucool76!!  Unless you fall in love with Portland...

I encourage you to travel even farther west!  You know, Hawaii is considered a great introduction to Asia... And you want to travel abroad...  

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't make New Year's resolutions, but I do have a few ongoing travel goals that I intend to further.

That said, my primary goal (dating back to late 2011 when I really got serious about it) is to visit more counties as part of my long-term quest to visit every county seat in the U.S.

Another Marriott related goal (not resolution ) is to stay at a Marriott branded property in every state (so far at 30 + D.C.). Interestingly this one also seems to date from late 2011.

With the creation of the brand badges in 2014, I added the goal of earning as many of those as I can. VC, and G look to be a lock for 2016. JW and RC are halfway there and I can imagine earning one or both next year. That just leaves AC and Edition (unless Marriott decides to add the recently acquired brands).

carolinagirl13 Silver 2 Reviews

Yes, Bejacob, all 50 states is an admirable goal but you haven't done Marriott until you've done Marriott during the Irmo, South Carolina Okra Strut!

Mark your calendar now!  September 23-24th.  I will volunteer to be your personal guide for this extravaganza should you choose to pay us a visit. 

Of course, everyone else is welcome too!   It may not be much but we are proud of what we do here in Irmo!

Happy New Year and safe travels to all.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I will have another aggressive travel year in 2016. Some of My travel plans for 2016 are already in place as follows;

Leave 5 January 2016 to Australia visiting Perth, Tasmania, Melbourne (Attending the Australian Tennis Open over a six day period), Alice Springs/Ayers Rock, and ending up in Sydeny. Return Home 5 February. Will have the pleasure of flying Etihad Airlines in adjoining apartments JFK - Abu Dhabi and returning Sydney - Abu Dhabi. Will be staying at the Melbourne Marriott and Sydney Harbourside Marriott during this trip.Videos to come.

In March 2016 will be going to Houston to the Houston Livestock and Rodeo event (I am a season ticket holder for over 20+ years)

In May 2016 will be going to Japan flying Etihad First Class.

In September, I have booked a trip to Uganda with Abercrombie and Kent (Safari to see the Gorilla's) flying Emirates First Class to Dubai then on to Entebbe.

Might have to be an Insider gathering some afternoon while you are in town jasper100.  The rodeo is a huge huge event with some awesome talent both in the rodeo and the performers on stage each night.

"Will have the pleasure of flying Etihad Airlines in adjoining apartments."

"Oh, my!"  (I may need to request your autographs.)  Seriously, you - as always - have many special and remarkable trips planned.  Congratulations, travel safe and enjoy.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Thanks pluto77. I am looking forward to these 2016 trips and particularly flying in the Etihad Apartments!

You've got some great traveling ahead of you, jasper100! That all sounds amazing!

KatieC Member

Etihad First Class is AMAZING!! Enjoy...

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

My 2016 travel resolutions are pretty simple this year:

I'd like to get out to the West Coast, thinking either California or Oregon, or both!

I would also like to go to a ski mountain close to home, whether to ski or not, for a nice winter weekend getaway with my boyfriend and family.

I would love to make it out of the country this year, but not sure if I can make that happen, I might have to wait and make bigger plans for 2017/2018!

deannad - There is no way you are getting out of coming to Oregon this year.   Will this be your first time out to the west coast?

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I've only been to Northern Cali once to visit wine country, but besides that I haven't been so I am definitely looking forward to making it to Portland and experiencing all the yummy food I've heard about!

My non-travel resolution is always the same... drink more water. I try not to aim too high.

Travel wise... I definitely want to be out of the country for my 30th birthday (yikes!) in November. Maybe Iceland, Spain or Peru...Any votes on which? Flights to Iceland are super cheap right now and it looks beautiful, but food is always my main priority when traveling.

Where have you had the best food when traveling? Maybe I'll add it to my list of potential 30th birthday trip destinations!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

I love this thread!  My travel goal for 2016 is simple, well, kind of. More adventure and more exploring! I’m heading out to Colorado in July, so I feel as though this goal is in reach.  One thing that has topped my list for a few years now is going fishing some place fun.  This isn’t something I’d typically do, and didn’t enjoy it much when I was younger, but I’d like to give it another go. 

Another travel resolution I’d like to keep is an overseas trip with my best friend, and best travel buddy.  We have been saying for a few years we’re going to do it, but never have gotten it together.  However, we’ve been working at it a bit more recently and hope to at least have something planned this year.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I will be hitting my lifetime goal of visiting the motherland in 2016 -- Poland!  I just booked it, and am looking forward to the July trip and all the wonderful food that goes along with it.  And of course there will be assorted trips to Canada for hockey, as well as various NE states for hockey...  And we're in the middle of visiting prep schools so I have many more Marriott adventures to come!

I will be hitting my lifetime goal of visiting the motherland in 2016 -- Poland!  I just booked it, and am looking forward to the July trip and all the wonderful food that goes along with it.  And of course there will be assorted trips to Canada for hockey, as well as various New England states for hockey...  And we're in the middle of visiting prep schools so I have many more Marriott adventures to come!

I will be hitting my lifetime goal of visiting the motherland in 2016 -- Poland!  I just booked it, and am looking forward to the July trip and all the wonderful food that goes along with it.  And of course there will be assorted trips to Canada for hockey, as well as various New England states for hockey...  And we're in the middle of visiting prep schools so I have many more Marriott adventures to come!

Platinum 28 Reviews

For the last ten years, every New Year's Eve I make a resolution not to host a NYE party at our home the next December 31st..  This resolution is usually published and or vocalized at approximately 4AM after the  party cleanup and being totally exhausted.

Every year (in the last ten) I end up hosting a party and repeating the failed resolution at the end.

HERE IS MY SOLUTION - My 2016 travel resolution is to travel  to a location far enough away which will preclude hosting a NYE Party!!!!

We've learned our lesson and it is a simple cure for you who cannot help yourselves by hosting parties.  DO NOT INVITE ANYONE OVER and if anyone shows do not answer the door.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAH, you're a genius! I'm ebarrassed that I didn't think of that.  A simple mistake of hitting the send button on the e-vites has caused all this work over the last ten years.

This year I'm going to go one step further - UNPLUG the computer in case I accidentally click the wrong button.

Thanks

• Re: Winter Wonderland or Get Me Outta Here?
    KatieC Member

My travel resolution is to really enjoy each trip, whether it is for business or pleasure. There is something to be learned and experienced in every destination. That is easy to forget when travel stress gets the best of me. This year I will be zen in my adventures.

Happy travels, Insiders!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...