11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2016 5:57 PM by misterchk RSS

Reservation canceling policy at hotels.

867051351 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone else who is a Marriott Rewards card member have issues with the 24 hour canceling policy at many of the hotels.  My situation is we are currently on a coast to coast trip from NC to CA.  As it is winter road conditions can be iffy and trying to make a certain number of miles in any one day is somewhat iffy also.  When we try to make reservations for the end of any given day in advance we are confronted with this 24 hr. cancellation policy which I fully understand, if the hotel is full because of local demand.  Fair is fair, but my issue is if that policy should apply to those of us who not only carry a Marriott card but almost exclusively use their hotels?  I'd be curious if any others have had this issue and whether or not Marriott has addressed it?    

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Marriott hotel cancellation policy
  • Re: Reservation canceling policy at hotels.
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You won't like my reply, but it shouldn't matter if you carry a Marriott Credit Card or not and why should it?  Just because it has Marriott on the card? 

Sorry, the cancellation policy is a policy that can be left to the hotels discretion how and if it is applied.  If you call the hotel directly and tell them a good reason such as weather related issues quite often they will waive the penalty. 

We had a similar issue with a reservation we had one reservation we had and due to flood warnings in the area of the hotel and the route we needed to take to get there I cancelled by calling the hotel.  At first the Front Desk Associate told me I'd be charged because I cancelled inside the 25 hour window and she didn't understand the weather was going to heck.  I again told her I wasn't putting ourselves in the path of possible floods and she agreed to contact her Manager and call me back.  To my surprise a call came within minutes telling me they would be happy to waive the penalty due to the circumstances.

Just give the hotels a call, but don't wait until the last minute do it as soon as you suspect issues in your travel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

Good advice from the gentleman from the "Lone" Star State - his experiences are much like those I have encountered.

My personal experience has found the Platinum Desk at Corporate will usually relieve a member (of that status) of any cancellation fees (at Marriott managed properties) 90% of the time.

For franchise properties I have had to change my style (very difficult) and use courtesy to ask for "forgiveness" from penalties.  I don't recall when a property has turned me down.

"Gentleman" he said, really?  I told you today would be fun on the golf course stirring things up, and I'm not even there yet!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

When you are ready for the "cure"  I am a recovering "golfaholic" - (played between a 7.8 - 14.5 for 30 years and quite "cold turkey"........)

(golfaholic meetings are similar to other support groups - the big difference is they all have open bars - if the need arises to call your sponsor if the desire is so strong you begin to think of going to the range, the sponsor immediately gets you to a bar until you get over it)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree with both the "gentleman from the Lone Star State" and misterchk. I have always found that the individual properties and, if they are not responsive, Marriott itself, will usually waive the penalty so long as you do notify the property as soon as you can and use courtesy.

I have yet and won't for awhile....5.2 to the current 6.0.  Lost a a dollar or three today but make quite a few angry with my banter brought in by yourself misterchk......my HERO!!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Can't say I agree with the new policy. For the past century the cancellation policy has always been by 6:00 pm the day of arrival. While the new 24 hour policy may be appropriate for vacationers, road warriors know just how unpredictable their schedule can be. This is nothing more than the new normal - the money grab.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Forgive the January 1st humor mikiegfla . Your comment just caught me as funny - you probably meant you are NOT HAPPY WITH THE NEW RULES -      I don't think anyone on "this side of the table" agrees with the change.

Marriott and the hotel owners are the only ones that agree that this was a terrific idea!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

While I too, am not happy with the recent cancellation policy adjustment, I can report that I have had many (perhaps 5-8) cancellations the day of travel, I have not experienced a single property charging me for the cancellation.  Are others actually experiencing the charge, or simply concerned they may in the future?

Platinum 28 Reviews

shoeman1000 I believe it is safe to say that our regular contributors here as well as the majority of Plats are suffering any cancellation fees.

The hotels will charge (hoping no one cries) but, in my personal experience, one call gets the charges reversed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...