19 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2016 10:22 AM by john_thai RSS

Recently retired and wanting to travel

travelprincess Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am recently retired and I want to go on vacation with tennis and Golf. Can you recommend to me your favorite Marriott golf resort? Also the time of year you recommend it for?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
hotel, resort
  • Re: Recently retired and wanting to travel
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi travelprincess,

First off a huge congratulations on your retirement.  Let me tell you that it retirement is NOT OVERRATED in the least as I retired three years ago this past November and have no idea how I ever had time to work!!!

Now I see you're in Houston, really.  Where do you play your golf in the area most as I'm in The Woodlands?

I will come back with a few more suggestions soon as I'm crunched for time right now, but here is a quick Marriott location with an excellent golf course with other courses close by on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama.  Any time of year would be wonderful, but the best rates for golf may be in the early summer or late summer.  Being retired you know we are on a fixed income.

Birmingham, AL Golf Hotel | Renaissance Birmingham Ross Bridge Golf Resort & Spa

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

We'll never agree on that one. I've retired twice. First time for a bit over a year and was happy to get back to work. Been retired the second time for just about a month and already getting antsy.

Best setup I ever had was being semi-retired. All the pensions, etc. plus working 2 months at a time followed by 2 months off.

Never will agree.  I do not want to report to anyone period other than to my wife, not even to myself.  Live very comfortably on my annuity and can't ask for more. 

No desire to do a think that resembles that four letter word that starts with a "W" and antsy does not become part of the equation either.  Which in itself is crazy because I was called "Hyper" at work among a few other choice selected things.

It help for me because I love to travel and my work requires travel. I get somebody else to pay for my tickets to Thailand.

Thanks for your reply. I am in the Sugar Land area. I am blessed to belong to a club here so get to play golf as much as I can stand. I have been to the resort in Alabama and you are so right it is a hidden gem. Do you have any other suggestions as I am a fair weather golfer and it's a bit to cold for winter golf.

Yep, I also am a member up here and can play more than I can stand also.  However; not a fan of these recent cold rainy days we've been having.

Let me see, winter golf I would head to Southwest Florida and enjoy the Naples/Ft. Myers area with numerous golf courses to enjoy.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Travelprincess - I highly recommend the Renaissance Vinoy Resort and Golf Club in St. Petersburg, Florida. The Vinoy is a classic hotel, originally opened in 1925 (on New Years Eve, 1925, in fact). It has been beautifully restored and has excellent tennis courts and a marvelous golf club and course. I go there about three times a year (in fact, I'm heading down there tomorrow).  I usually go during the winter months to get away from those cold NH winters, but St. Pete is nice year-round, if you don't mind the heat and humidity of the summer.  I hope that you enjoy your retirement. I'm looking forward to that myself in about two years.

I will most definitely book a stay. You may want to try the Renaissance in La Quinta CA. We just got back and for winter golf it's perfect. Two years will go fast! Then welcome to the club

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Perhaps you're a Marriott Destinations Reward Points member?  If so, I'd recommend the Hilton Head Island (SC) Harbour Club, where you can enjoy an hour of free tennis lessons each day!

Hilton Head - 2014 150.jpg

You don't have to go far for a wonderful dinner meal - CQ's just across the parking lot from the Harbour Club

Hilton Head - 2014 040.jpg

You're also privileged to discounted golf in Sea Pines, especially the nearby Heritage course

Hilton Head - 2014 010.jpg

Regarding time of the year - summer is quite busy; we enjoy going in January - March - heading there for a week, January 17. Hilton Head, if you're not familiar with this resort, is approximately 5 hours from Atlanta by car, and there's an airport at nearby Savannah/Hilton Head Airport. If you're not a Destinations Member, there is a Marriott Hotel & Resort on the beach as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Another nice place and not too far from IAH would be Puerto Vallarta Hotels | CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta.  The resort is very relaxing with three golf courses you can play.  Marina Vallarta Club de Golf | Puerto Vallarta Jalisco is right across the street from the resort and Vista Vallarta Club de Golf | Puerto Vallarta Jalisco located in the mountain above the city is about 20 minutes away. 

Vista Vallarta has two courses, Nicklaus and Weiskopf while the Marina course has 18 holes.  Best time of year to go to PVR, any time!!

I'll come up with more and if you don't mind driving around to other cities to play always check out the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail through Alabama.  Ross Bridges that I mentioned in my first post is on the trail and there are plenty of Marriott properties along the trail.

Platinum 28 Reviews

travelprincess

Must add a comment to IAHFLYR recommending the Marriott in PVR.

Last year we were in PVR for a "destination wedding at the Westin  (down the street from the Marriott).

As we were having a great time I suggested to my wife that we walk down and "play the Platinum Premier card and request a private tour of the property.

To our surprise it turned out to be an "hour of touring and cocktails with the GM).  Included in our tour was a mini suite that we were told would be the standard upgrade to a Plat member.

Simply put, it is a magnificent property!  Not only fantastic, but at great savings (for a West Coaster) in comparison to a Hawaiian vacation.

The cost of accommodations is less, the flight is less and shorter!.

Now, as our dictionaries are different (as to the definition of the word "retire" - I don't know about retiring there.  I recently had to retire (a car lease was ending and the requirements were to replace the tires.)   I accomplished  this by "retiring" at Hank's Tires in Woodland Hills, California - unfortunately Hank does not recognize or discount to Platinum Members.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

letlowjl Gold

I stayed once at the JW Marriott  at Desert Ridge (Scottsdale Az. Huge place with pools and golf everywhere.  I do not play golf but there were ample courses.  Great service and a nice restaurant too.  Beautiful place in the sun.

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

If you want good advice on golf travel and good deals including Marriott, look up 'yourgolftravel.co.uk'. I have never been disappointed. They operate worldwide.

shaunfromcolumbus,ohio Gold

I agree with several of the others, the Florida locations are great. The JW Marriott in Orlando is surrounded by a great golf course. I also am a big fan of the JW at Palm Desert, CA. The settings are fantastic.

Congratulations on retirement and happy golfing.

It's not a Marriott resort, but the JWM in Bangkok is a great place to stay and some of the best golf courses on the planet are in the areas around Bangkok. There was an LPGA tournament there just last week. Get past the boring US cities!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...