13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2010 12:24 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Marriott's Custom House

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

A must try when in Boston, Marriott's Custom House is a Marriott Vacation Club located on McKinley Square and State St. This historic landmark and iconic clock tower is home to 84 luxury suites featuring a spacious king master bedroom and separate living room with a queen-size sofabed.

The open dining area is comfortably furnished with a table, chairs for 4 and a fully-loaded kitchenette with wetbar, refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, blender and tableware.

Complimentary amenities include free internet, cable TV, guest laundry, fitness center, weight room and access to Marriott's Long Wharf Hotel indoor pool and health club.

Throughout this holiday week including New Year's Eve, Custom House features live holiday themed entertainment every evening. Mornings, continental breakfast with fresh fruit, pastries and prepared items is available for a small fee.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/tjcforesthills/02STE.jpg

One of the unique features of this property is the open-air Observation Deck on the 26th floor where one can experience panoramic views of Boston and Boston Harbor.  Marriott's Custom House is truly one-of-a-kind and an ideal place to relax, revive and re-energize for 2010.

• Re: Marriott's Custom House
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This is one great looking place!

Been staying downtown and but am going to try The Custom House.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

Happy Holidays, TJC

Did you use a timeshare exchange to stay here? Was it hard to get the exchange? We would like to try to exchange to Custom House for a fall trip in the near future. Thanks for your excellent review.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Superchief

This go around, II exchange.  We have stayed here previously in the fall on owner rates which give about a 25% discount.  Platinum Elite can book for you, I've heard that Owner Services can do it too.  We've also seen private offers to rent on CraigsList as 80% of the owners are from the Boston area.

The concierges Ellen and Karen are outstanding as is the Front Desk manager and all of the associates we met. The Custom House is truly one-of-a-kind.  The building is a historic landmark and an iconic clock tower.  On New Year's Eve, the GM is hosting a complimentary reception with live entertainment and free champagne.  At midnight, we'll step out onto the open-air Observation Deck on the 26th floor to watch fireworks over Boston Harbor launched from Long Wharf where Marriott's Long Wharf hotel is located.

http://api.photoshop.com/home_20cea8ce1a5f48038c4067368f3a864b/adobe-px-thumbnails/e59e657a98bc48218b5740ab54cdc4fe/fullsize.jpg

Above: Marriott Custom House and Marriott Long Wharf Hotel (red brick building) as seen from the Harvard Club on the 38th floor at 1 Federal Street

Below: Marriott Custom House and Quincy Market Tree as seen from North Quincy Market.

http://api.photoshop.com/home_20cea8ce1a5f48038c4067368f3a864b/adobe-px-assets/aabac453f1474195b6b01d8ba4c0244b

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Jerry

For business or leisure, the Custom House is unique.  The ground floor is not only the lobby but a museum.  The first floor has a rotunda with a dome.  On this floor there is a bar and a lounge, known as the Counting Room dating to its origins as a place where tariffs on goods arriving by sea were paid.  Today, this double height space is where guests may enjoy reading the morning paper along with complimentary Starbuck's coffee and/or a la carte continental breakfast for a very small fee per item while watching a huge flat panel TV broadcasting the news. In the evening, this room hosts an evening reception on Fridays only, scheduled activities and live entertainment during the week.

http://api.photoshop.com/home_20cea8ce1a5f48038c4067368f3a864b/adobe-px-assets/2bd7eb44f551466abc96b12d9706e928

Above:  Buffet server with a la carte breakfast items including pastries, bagels and breads.

Below: The T stop at the Custom House entrance provides a very cost-effective solution for business travelers on a tight budget.  You can fly into Logan or travel on Amtrak Acela to South Station and take the T to the Custom House for $2.00

http://api.photoshop.com/home_20cea8ce1a5f48038c4067368f3a864b/adobe-px-assets/d152c4a7496a4914aef86c82fe5ba930

http://api.photoshop.com/home_20cea8ce1a5f48038c4067368f3a864b/adobe-px-assets/2de6d224522b4b299522c5ddb5c77041

Above:  The Blue Line at the Aquarium stop serves Marriott's Long Wharf Hotel and Marriott's Custom House. Fast, convenient, clean and safe.

-- Edited by TJCNewYork at 12/30/2009 6:57 AM EST Added Blue Line photo.

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

Ahh! Now I understand why I can never get a MVCI exchange in Custom House and why there are rarely any MR points opportunities. Shame because my wife and I fancy a week in Boston - easy flight from the UK - and staying in Custom House would make it worthwhile. Maybe it will never happen if the locals have just bought it all up!

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

Good luck finding an exchange Superchief1. Never had any luck.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Moonflower:

As an alternative to an II exchange, consider renting nights at the MVCI owner rate and combining with MR points.

As a Category 7, Custom House requires 35K per night + 5K for the 1 bedroom upgrade.

superchief1 Platinum

I am hoping we are able to exchange into the offseason, in Mid-September through October 2011. We are using our MVC Mountainside to trade. TJC, did you have difficulty making your exchange? I have read that requesting at least 13 months in advance maximizes your exchange chance.

elitepro Member

Thanks TJC NewYork for this interesting post. I will visit this Category 7 property. How  does the Custom House requirement of 35K per night + 5K for the 1 bedroom upgrade work? Is it an elite benefit?

retired Platinum

TJCNewYork

I agree the Custom House is a great place to stay. My wife and I stayed for a week on a timeshare trade out about five years ago and really enjoyed it. The location is great, we flew into Logan and didn't have to rent a car. We where able to rent a car for a day (just ask at the desk when you check in), that way you don't have to pay for parking as you pick the car up about two blocks away from the Custom House. We where able to walk or take the T (subway) where ever we wanted to go. They had the Boston Marathon the week of our stay. Lots of Sneekers! Fannel Hall (shopping & resturants) is about half a block away. This is a must to a trade out, but it might be hard to get into during the fall (leave truning color), so try the spring. 

Retired

tjcnewyork Platinum

Superchief

The II exchange went extremely smoothly.  Unlike other MVCI resorts with F, Sat and Sunday check-in, the Custom House week is only available F to F.  So, when you exchange, keep in mind that the week begins on Friday.  Let me know if you have other questions.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings ElitePro

"How  does the Custom House requirement of 35K per night + 5K for the 1 bedroom upgrade work?"

The Custom House is a tower with 84 luxury suites.  Each suite is 1 bedroom 1 bath with a separate living/dining room with a fully-loaded kitchenette.  Awards are redeemed according to the Marriott Vacation Club Rewards schedule. Complimentary upgrade to a 1 bedroom at MVCI properties for Elite status does NOT apply.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Retired,

The Custom House location is unrivaled.  As shown in the photos below, the entrance to Boston's metro, the 'T' is across the street from the CH McKinley Square entrance.  In agreement with your comments, we enjoyed the convenience of taking the 'T' to Copley Square and Boston Common.  Logan is a few stops away, as is the South Street Station were the Amtrak Acela departs for Providence, New Haven, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC.   In the other direction is North Station where one can get the commuter trains to Cape Ann, Gloucester, Newburyport, Portsmouth, NH and Portland, ME.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/tjcforesthills/04FH.jpg

Above:  State St looking west towards 3 McKinley Square.  The T on the building marks the entrance to the subway.  The Custom House sign is to the left of the lampost with the yellow sign.

Below: View southwest towards McKinley Square.  The base of the Custom House is surrounded by classical columns.  The main CH entrance is marked by the portico in front of the columns.  The T marks the bus stop as well as another entrance to the subway.

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy336/MemorableWeekends/008FH.jpg 

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy336/MemorableWeekends/HPIM1957.jpg

Above:  The Custom House is on the Blue Line at the Aquarium stop.  The station is modern, clean, brightly lit and handicapped accessible.  At the other end of the station is Marriott's Long Wharf Hotel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...