11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2016 10:41 AM by carat RSS

Wackiest Gifts Received

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver
Currently Being Moderated

It’s that time of year again.  The worry of getting the right present and the wonderment of what you’ll receive is setting in.  And then you open it.  Now you don’t know whether to be excited or worried.  You’ve just received the wackiest gift of all, and the giver is staring at you.

The weirdest gift I ever received was from my grandparents. Normally my grandparents would give money. Much to my disappointment, they decided to change it up one year and raid an office supply closet.  I received a pack of highlighters, a four pack to be exact.  They could have been festive and sprung for the multi-colored pack, but they didn’t.  Just four, bright-yellow highlighters.  Luckily I didn’t receive a tape dispenser, like my younger cousin.  Being the gracious grandchild I, of course, told them I couldn’t wait to use them and it was the perfect gift for a high school student. I’m pretty sure those highlighters are still in the back of my old desk, unused.

I have found that the best part about receiving an unusual gift is that it’s also a great memory.  I will never forget that gift or the holiday party.  I’m not sure if my grandfather was yanking our chains that year, but I like to think he was.  Just a young-at-heart kid playing jokes on the ones he loved.

I’m sure you all have some great stories to share on this topic.  If you haven’t received a weird gift, maybe you’ve given one. If you haven’t received a weird gift, I want to hear if you’ve given one and what inspired you to do that!

Queue laughter!

Not an Insider Yet?

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to comment

or join Marriott Rewards

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Wackiest Gifts Received
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hah! What a great idea for a thread!

My dad LOVES to go to the Christmas Tree Shop every year and insists on spending at least $30 on junk for each of us, but those are some of my favorite gifts. I've gotten everything from expired cashews (not sure if he realized they were expired), to a plastic parrot in a cage that whistled, to a bootleg sound machine that definitely wouldn't help anyone fall asleep. I love picturing him going through the aisles and laughing out loud at how ridiculous some of these gifts are

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

I think the wackiest gift i have received would be a mug of *****. You sip out of the.. yeah.. That mug never saw the light of day but its still in the very back of the cabinet.

This is hilarious!  I would love to give something like this to my brother!! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

My mom made us play games on Christmas this year, and she gave out prizes.  I won a long neck lighter.  Useful actually, as I need one.  I also got a wine bottle holder shaped like a giraffe...

Cuz I need one of those too. 

Hehe!! How fun, pluto77! What kind of games did you play? 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

The usual stuff: name that Christmas carol, guess how many ornaments on the tree...

Then she passes out assignments in the kitchen.  We each make a dish. It's a real family affair. Pretty clever, as since we're all flying in from here and there, it's not like we can each bring a dish potluck style.  At 78, she's got it dialed in.

greekbecky Platinum

My Austrian aunt gifted me with her famous bottle of Austrian arnica tincture (a mysterious bottle with yellow booze and threads of herbs floating in it) that burns like a you-know-what when you put it on a cut.

She used to chase me with a wooden spoon threatening me that the spoon would hurt more than the arnica if I didn't let her put it on my scraped knee.  Ahhh, the memories...

So interesting, greekbecky!  Did it help heal the scrape? My grandmother used to do something similar, when we would get cut she would clean it with rubbing alcohol, so I can feel your pain... literally!

greekbecky Platinum

Yikes, that just put a shiver up my spine...well, they meant well right?  I suppose those cures worked, because we're still kicking...;)

Exactly!!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

well Cara as they say its the thought that counts

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...