7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2015 10:27 PM by taxman193 RSS

IS RECEIVING AN UPGRADE TO A SUITE ALWAYS THE BEST CHOICE?

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

ALTHOUGH THIS QUESTION IS DIRECTED AT THOSE TRAVELING ON BUSINESS I WELCOME ALL OPINIONS.

SCENARIO:  YOU ARE TRAVELING ALONE ON BUSINESS AND ARRIVE AT YOUR HOTEL FOR A ONE NIGHT STAY.

WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO MAXIMIZE A COMFORTABLE STAY?

Frequently (about 50% of stays) I am asked the following by reception staff when checking in: "I have a nice suite available but it's not on the Concierge Floor - would you like that room or prefer to be closer to the CL?."

My Opinion:  When arriving in a city after a flight, airport hassle etc., I look forward to a nice dinner, a clean room and those comfortable Marriott beds.  Upon awakening the first thing coming to my mind is where can I get a cup of coffee - (not that junk you can make in the room) - If the hotel's CL is on the floor my room is, this is FAR more important to me than a suite too large for one person staying one night.

My Answer: Thank you very much for the kind offer but I prefer the accommodation that is closer to the CL.

Am I in the minority choosing this option ?  Let me know.

Thanks

Misterchk

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: IS RECEIVING AN UPGRADE TO A SUITE ALWAYS THE BEST CHOICE?
    taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

For a one night stay, I absolutely agree with you. I would take the room closer to the CL. Now, if only I could get that kind of treatment when I check in ! My trips are usually a week at a time. I am Platinum for Life and I have 110 nights so far this year. I have never ... ever .. been offered a suite. I once asked if they had one available and I was given a simulted suite (really just a regular room with a connecting "host" room) but never a suite. So I would be happy if they just offered.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

taxman193

I will admit that since receiving the "Premier" designation I have been more successful in being upgraded than when I was only a lifetime Plat.

Still, you are doing something wrong when reserving if you have "never ever"  been offered a suite.

There is a section on the reservation form if you have a request - I place in that section "request plat upgrade to suite" and 30% of the time prior to becoming "premier" I was accommodated - since becoming Premier that percentage has risen to 50%  (both those estimates are at FS properties).

Try it!  I sure you will no longer be able to say - "never ever"...............

Happy Holidays

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

good suggestion on asking for upgrades in advance. I for one would prefer to be in Concierge floor usually being alone a suite doesn't do a lot for me. Agree with you on premier as the two years I was , suites almost always happened . Now with lifetime platinum I rarely get it

taxman193 Platinum 11 Reviews

Not sure where you enter this request? I thought they removed the comment box in requests when making your reservation online? If you make your reservations using the Marriott web site where do you enter this request? I have been traveling for 26 years so not sure how I missed this.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Suites are more common in my experience around the EU, but nothing like 30%. Mind you I've only requested a suite once, maybe if I did as suggested I could improve my rate. Like you however, I'm not bothered about a suite on a business stay, and seldom really on leisures either. I only really wanted a suite upgrade once, and when I requested the London JW it was awarded!  I also really needed a suite only once, and as I needed it, (Niagara Falls) I booked it. Mind you I did book the cheapest low-floor (obscured view) family suite and requested a high floor, and that was granted.

LIke you, I too have turned down a suite upgrade on a one night biz stay in favour of a better located room.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I remember once coming into NYC ( not at a Marriott) and arrived like 1AM so only room available was the presidential suite. great room for 5 hours . Top floor with great view but any room with a bed would have been fine

nmballoonist Platinum

I agree that I would rather have a nice location for the one night.  Even if its multiple nights and its just me traveling by myself, I would still rather have a room near the CL that has a nice view, rather than a parking lot or another building.

I have a great story about upgrades at the JW in Summerlin (Las Vegas).  I stay there on a semi regular basis and the regular king rooms are large and very nice.  I arrive there on a late Monday afternoon as a Gold Elite, am welcomed at the desk and told my room has been upgraded.  Nice.  I go to the room and its a one bedroom suite.  But its only me for one night and I am getting up early to drive 200 miles to my destination for the week.  I drive back late Thursday afternoon t to stay the night before flying out the next morning.  I check in and again told I have been upgraded.  I assume that its another one bedroom suite.  No, its a two bedroom suite, both kings, 2.5 baths, and probably about 2000 sq feet.  Wow, too bad its just me and I have an 8 AM flight.  I have always told my wife how nice the JW is, so when we go to LV to catch a couple of shows and have some really nice meals, after staying on the strip a couple of nights we move to the JW.  The room is big, very nice amenities, but missing half the furniture.  I tell the desk that I am not hosting a dance competition so there was no need to move the furniture out.  Turns out they were refreshing the rooms and they were in the process of switching furniture.  We stayed in the room as it had the bare minimum, but the GM made it right.  However my wife got a few good jabs in over that.  Next time I will request an upgrade (or at least all the furniture) when I book in the future.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...