52 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2016 1:57 AM by iahflyr RSS

United Airlines Have You Lost Your Mind

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Serious issues here.  Looks like United is attempting to make the MileagePlus Program better which is totally against anything other airlines in the U.S. are trying and might prove that a new CEO named Oscar is actually making progress even on medical leave.  And if you search around a bit many times the First Class tickets are not much more expensive than Economy when you consider any additional fees like baggage fees (if not Premier), food, Premier Access lines and drinks. 

I like it now fix your operational issues too.

Reach Premier status even faster next year.

We're always working to enhance the MileagePlus® program to give you the best possible experience, on the ground and in the air. Today we have great news to share with you: For all flights taken on or after January 1, 2016, you'll earn Premier® qualifying miles (PQM) for First or Business tickets* at up to double the current rate. That means you can reach MileagePlus Premier status even faster.

What it means for you

On United® flights, you'll earn substantially more PQM on full-fare and discounted First or Business tickets, up to 300%. You'll also earn more PQM on select Star Alliance™ member airlines.

The higher PQM rates go into effect for flights on or after January 1, 2016, regardless of when you purchased your ticket.

Enjoy the enhancements

When you fly in our premium cabins, you'll enjoy a newly enhanced experience:

■ 

Our reimagined United First® seats, which will be installed on our Airbus fleet and
Boeing 737-700 and 757-300 aircraft, provide an elevated level of comfort and convenience.

■ 

New chef-designed onboard dining menus offer globally inspired dishes with bold flavors.

In addition, starting next summer, whenever you fly with us you'll be able to enjoy a cup of coffee from illy®, a world-renowned coffee with an authentic Italian heritage. Their dark roasted coffee delivers a beautiful taste and provides an elevated inflight experience.

Thank you for being part of the world's most rewarding loyalty program.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: United Airlines Have You Lost Your Mind
    Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

When I read the email from UA if didn't believe it.  I made the decision to wait a few hours and read it again.

Since receiving Gold from them (when I become Premiere) I have been flying with them 99% of the time and expect to qualify on my own (without MR help) to retain Gold. 

That said, due ot the new program I would have met the gold requirements a month or two go.

On many of the routes I fly "business first" specials are quite affordable and I have taken advantage of booking that cabin.

I quite excited going into 2016 to rack up the requirements more rapidly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I haven't looked at the details, but it sure looks good. But there is also a rumor that they are going to raise be spend requirement which might make it harder for the non-premium flyer to get status.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

IAHFLYR, in part I think it's UA's tradition of playing monkey see monkey do.  As noted by Lucky over at One Mile at a Time, the restructuring of the earning side occurred on the heels of AA's devaluation announcement appears to be largely the same:  http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/12/16/united-elite-mileage-earnings-rates-increasing/

It certainly is good news, though, to see a reversal in trend with at least one airline.  I do hope they copy DL with operational excellence... Then they'll have a truly wonderful airline.  But right now, as you know, they're so horrible, I think they should go back to a traditional program to compensate... though I doubt that'll make much of a difference!

Platinum 28 Reviews

The next thing will bring the treatment of passengers come full circle. They will bring back full meals in coach!!!

Well misterchk, I believe they are bringing back complimentary snack service in domestic coach!  Well, on certain routes. 

Hawaiian is still the only domestic airline offering free meals in coach, though, they're so tiny, I'm often starving by the time we land.  But I suppose it's better than nothing. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

Hawaiian's economy on flights between the islands and the mainland is quite possible the best economy service of any American carrier on domestic routes.

Agree on the inter-island flights, disagree on the mainland flights misterchk.  I find the service to the mainland to be just as bad as other carriers, except you get food.  The seat-back IFE is a joke, as coach customers must pay to watch anything.  There's no in-seat power either, save for the USB jack on the IFE, which only charges small mobile devices and not tablets.  So in some ways it's better than the competition, in other ways, nope. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

kharada46

My statement about Hawaiian's coach service, I must admit, was very subjective.

I believe that it was the "environment" that HA creates that motivated the statement about their service.

It is a nostalgic feeling. From the moment you board the staff (attendants) seem to go out of their way to make you feel that you really are going on a vacation AND the vacation starts with them.

Today, board on AA, UA etc etc, every time you encounter a flight attendant you get the feeling you are inconveniencing them.

Also, I plead guilty as I didn't think of including the facilities (aircraft) in my assessment. 

It is my understanding that HA is revamping their newer aircraft and replacing older ones with newly equipped aircraft that will accommodate the technology that passenger's demand.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I agree, HA FAs are very friendly. The spirit of Aloha is definitely evident at HA, at least in my experience.

lol, yes, it's interesting how various factors can skew your perception huh misterchk

But as is the case with all carriers, your experience will vary based on the crew and even the equipment.  In my experience, Hawaiian uses more senior crews on long-haul routes and often, but not always, they seem to be just going through the motion and can even be rude.  The inter-island routes, on the other hand, are handled by the newbies fresh out of training.  They usually seem to be very excited and proud of what they do, so service tends to be quite good. 

Of course long-haul service is way better on the A330s than the ancient B763ERs.  And in my experience, Hawaii ground crews tend to really suck, but those on the mainland are usually pretty good. 

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

No need to eat on the plane, just wait until you land to enjoy the awesome food of the Islands!

Platinum 28 Reviews

I learned a lesson many years ago:  Irrespective of class or service or expected meal service,

NEVER BOARD A PLANE HUNGRY!!! 

Absolutely never never get on hungry is so right.  You never know what kind of delay you may get and be unable to get off the plane for any reason.  Surprisingly the food on UA First Class has actually gotten much better in recent months. 

This was lunch 10 days ago on the way to PVR and it was very tasty.

20151206_123010.jpg

I've heard they've been stepping it up to try to come to par with DL, and to a lesser extent, AA IAHFLYR

This is true ks77, but I get hungry fast, so I need food lol!!

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

My life kind of revolves around food. It's at a point now that I need to stop haha

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Interesting news indeed.  American has been running a promo all year for folks that fly, ticketed, in the front of the bus.  I've actually managed to cash in on several promotions on a few trips to the UK this fall as well.  They have 2-3x the EQPs and the promos have mountains of bonus miles.  For example I have managed to fly 17k miles in November and put 78k miles into my account through bonus, promos and actual flight miles.

As for flying hungry, I agree, its never ever a good idea.  I always have a bottle of water and a bag of something with me when I board a plane.  I found on recent HNL runs that even with a decent lunch, I was hungry enough to power down the bag of peanut butter crackers I bought at DFW prior to boarding.  Love those 8.5hr flights LOL

Here's what AA had for dinner on the flight over in November business class for reference . 20151107_211513.jpg

zukracer, are they still serving the HFS menu by Sam Choy on routes to Hawaii??

Not sure if its that one but it's definitely something specific to Hawaii with its own different menu.  The menu has brown, yellow and gold background colors and the food was definitely Hawaiian flavors, including fruit bits mixed with the nuts to start.

Found the menu... sometimes stuffing things into my travel bag pays off 20160105_164738.jpg

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Kings Hawaiian rolls! BOOYAH!

ks77, Kings Hawaiian rolls split in half, slathered in butter and stuffed with sliced Hawaiian apple bananas is HEAVEN!! 

Thanks for sharing zukracer!  Certainly looks to be the HFS service still.  That's an awful lot of teriyaki items though... where's the variety AA?! lol 

Platinum 28 Reviews

Speaking of airline food:

Who out there remembers all those trucks (catering) servicing aircraft that displayed the name MARRIOTT!

They exited that business just in time.  Shortly after most airlines stopped serving hot meals in economy.

Wasn't it Host Marriott at the time of the catering trucks?

Platinum 28 Reviews

YES IT WAS sir.  For am old guy you have a good membory.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Marriott invented airline catering.  At some point they spun the operation into a new entity, which they called Host Marriott.  Eventually, the operation had nothing to do with Marriott.

Marriott's original name was Marriott Hot Shoppes, as I recall.

You are spot on my friend.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Ah, the good old days when airline food (especially first class on international flights) was something I looked forward to.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

with real cloth table cloths

Funny thing, last four UA First Class flights in the last month all had wonderful food options just no cloth table cloths.  I can live without the cloth linens under my tray, just give me good food with minimal sodium and a flavorful meal.  They've done that most recently.

I Have commented a number of times about the airlines and over last 15 years have allowed consolidation to a point that we have allowed an oligopoly to develop. You may have noticed that they all have raised prices beginning the new year even though planes are full and their biggest cost fuel has been cut in half . Not saving hotel consolidation will have the same result but it is worth watching . Regarding airlines dont know if growth in no frills airlines will impact this match toward higher fares , fewer seats and poor service

Platinum 28 Reviews

jerryl

Your comment illustrates the debate of  regulation vs free enterprise. 

It's safe to say that most Americans believe in, or are in favor. of free enterprise.  The "social Darwinism" of companies  that survive are the "fittest" .

During the Carter administration he appointed Alfred Kahn to head the Civil Aeronautics Board (responsible for the regulation of routes and airfares).  He mandated Mr. Kahn to "do away with this government agency" and Mr. Kahn succeeded.

Since then we have seen the demise of numerous airline failures, new companies coming and going.  The result was not unlike the breakup of AT&T in the late 70's and 80's.

This topic can be debated into infinity and quite honestly I don't think anyone knows the answer.

The easy way out is agreeing that we need some form of regulation when it applies to public utilities - with the understanding that utilities include much more than water and light!  Transportation in my opinion, is a public utility and it wouldn't be a bad idea if a little of it crept back into the airline industry.

I am certainly into free enterprise. I do think some anti trust responsibility needs to be with the US government and overseas governments . All the airlines ( except SW ) have filed for bankruptcy at least once or twice over last thirty years. The basis of free enterprise is competition  . The government does have a role to insure that it is there at least when it can negatively impact customers in vital industries

Platinum 28 Reviews

Your opinion is what I was attempting to say.  We are on the same page.  There basically must be  safeguards to protect those areas of commerce that are a necessity.

In some cases the transpiration industry is a  "public utility".  A good example of this is PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines) that prior to operating inter-state and before being acquired by USAir, it was an intra-state carrier. 

During that period it was regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission.

As said this can be debated into dooms day - but it is a debate that crosses political aisles on most points.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I just priced out a flight to ATL for September (8 months from now).  $937 on DL, which practically owns ATL.  No refunds, no extra legroom, no free checked bags, and a really torturous passenger unfriendly itinerary. Are you kidding me?  I can fly to Europe for practically the same price. With free checked bags!  What is DL thinking? 

Platinum 28 Reviews

for the weekend (one that was mentioned as a possibility)  September 16/18   LAX/ATL with connection i IAH  

$246  - $400r   ound trip (economy)   or  starting at $644 for first class

Is your price quote UA?  I saw that.  UA will fly me from FAT to IAH via SFO for a similar price as well.  I have much more interest in the IAH area anyway; family in College Station, plus Minute Maid Park is now on my mlb bucket list. Turner Field is not, though I'm sure it's a nice stadium, at least from what I've read.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pluto77

Yes Ma'am  - UA was the connections through IAH and Delta was the Non-Stops

Departing from FAT is obviously going to include more connections and more cash!

The first choice for any of us on the West Coast would be IAH as it is closer and in most cases cheaper airfares.

pluto77,

YEAH, that's what I'm talking about.  Visit the "Juice Box" and watch a fun Astros game with all their young kids.  And don't forge about me too!!!

As far as the UA customer service, gotta tell ya that both ways to SJD and back the service was OUTSTANDING.  The CO B738 Flight Attendants and on time flights were great, even the UA A320 and UA crew coming home was fabulous as was the Pasta and Salad both ways.  We even left SJD late due to the late arrival of the inbound flight and landed at IAH 10 minutes early, they did something like a 40 minute turn around at SJD.  They are getting much better.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pluto77

Where are you flying from?  That price seems ridiculous.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pluto77    Delta, non-stop on those dates is 460 - you might have miscalculated.

Delta shows round trip fares on their site where UA shows one ways "based on a round trip"

Ir's not a misquote. That's the price From FAT.

Platinum 28 Reviews

with apologies - your profile lists hometown as "Lakewood" I assumed you were departing from LAX

Born and raised in Lakewood/Long Beach. Finished off my youth in the OC.  I've spent the last half of my life in the Central Valley. It's kind of like Hotel California here, though I am determined to finish my pennance and then "make like a tree and leave."

I am not opposed to driving/flying out of LA.  I do it on cross country domestic flights occasionally, when it makes sense (savings is sensible even after the offset costs of gas, long term park and time).  Well, time isn't really a factor when one considers the time involved to get on and off an airplane and then transferred.  Driving to Sacramento and catching a non-stop to Boise takes the exact same amount of time as flying to Boise from FAT via PDX or SEA, considering the connection time.  So of it's cheaper, and the timetable makes sense, well why not?  They say that driverless cars are on the horizon...

So the issue for me, I think is FAT.  It costs a lot to fly from FAT to anywhere, with the sublime exception of flying to either SAN or SEA on AS (my hero airline) or anywhere that UA flies from SFO (my anti-hero airline), whom in spite of their terrible customer service, which is rumored to be on the mend, seems to be willing to fly me anywhere I wish to go from SFO, with the price of flying out of FAT being the same as the price of flying out of SFO (effectively rendering the round trip legs between FAT and SFO almost free, and riddle me that, Batman!)  But to anywhere else out of FAT costs a pretty penny.  RT to LAX on any carrier - $311.  RT to SAN from FAT on AS - sometimes as low as $118.  Another riddle for The Batman.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Well, if there is a possibility of connecting in LAX let me know - for $10 I will promise to take a different flight.  That way you won't have to hear me talk for the 3 hr+ flight.

I have noise cancelling headphones. No worries.   Actually, I have no doubt that any one on one conversation with you or any Insider friends would be delightful. The truth is, the larger the gathering, though tremendous fun for sure, the less any real visiting happens, at least in my experience.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...