6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2015 9:42 AM by mmca723 RSS

Maintaining Platinum Elite without having to buy back

stratman560 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Insiders:

I am closing in on the end of my travels for 2015 and although I will at least keep gold I was curious what some of the insiders success rate has been for keeping platinum even though you never hit 75 nights.  Here's a little background on my situation.  I will stay about 52 nights this year and will be about 8 nights short of the 20 nights in three months offer I got to keep Platinum.  I understand the 20 nights is a pretty sweet deal, but I just didn't have quite enough travel to make the cut.  That being said, I have both the Marriott Reward Premier Visa Credit Card AS WELL as the Ritz Carlton Rewards Credit Card and plan on keeping them both for another year.  I say between them both I have close to $20k worth of spend, maybe more on them.  I don't know if holding both of these cards holds any weight with Marriott Rewards for the purpose of extending Platinum Privileges for another year, but do you insiders think it would be worth a call to explain that I will be short, but ask if it is possible for them to extend another year of Platinum?  I know I will always be AT LEAST gold because I have the RC Rewards card and will always put at least $10k a year on it to stay Gold, but there is no way ill ever put $75k to keep Platinum.  I sure do like the added points earning power being doubled at Platinum, plus the arrival points are a pretty nice shot in the arm as well.  Your thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Maintaining Platinum Elite without having to buy back
    phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

My guess is that you're too short to be given a pass.  Nevertheless you won't know unless you ask.  I'll come in at 69 or 70 and I will ask.  I am lifetime gold and I was cruising toward a Platinum renewal l until an unexpected illness forced me to cancel a 16 night trip to France.

If you ask, the worst thing that can happen is they'll say "no."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

would call the rewards line and plead

flyboylegacy650 Platinum

Just call the platinum number and explain to them that your Hilton diamond and asked them to tier match you.    Typically they will do it with no questions asked if they do ask questions and explain that you had to stay at Hilton properties this year due to geographic location but you would preferred to stay at the Marriott properties provided they will tier match you and maintain your platinum status.    This little trick has worked flawlessly for me in the past and I would expect it would work for you as well. Let me know how that works and keep us all posted because it's beneficial for all of us .

stratman560 Platinum

Chatted with a customer service rep from Marriott.com today and was told I have already been renewed Platinum until Jan 31, 2017.  Got a confirmation email sent to me today.  I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised.  I will continue to hold on to my MR CC and the Ritz CC as long as it keeps me at the top.  Thanks Marriott Rewards!!

mmca723 Platinum 4 Reviews

Thumbs up! I haven't travelled as much this year as well due to various factors. Will see what shakes out. Hopefully I can at least buy back Platinum status.

curiousone Platinum

It looks like I will end up at 73 nights this year. It will be interesting to see if they renew my Plat status. I would have made it to 75+ if they had started the Elite night credit for point stays earlier in the year.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...