Booked a room at a NYC hotel at good rate via CyberMonday deal...
Day before checkin (because my Marriott CC expired in November) yesterday, management sends an email stating that they will cancel my room unless I update my card. I get the email later that evening (6 hours later - just flew in), but apparently they did not wait for me to update the info before canceling.
Yesterday: Room already canceled by management. Current rate is double what the CyberMonday deal was.
Today: No word from management - not sure if they are even close to having to offer a Plat Guarantee for moving me, to warrant the last minute cancellation by management.