1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 15, 2015 4:50 PM by Segments RSS

Gold and Diamond deflectors want to come aboard but no love

perryt Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Marriott Team,

I am a current Silver and past Platinum member.  I switched jobs and my colleagues stay at "another hotel brand" so I had to switch.  Boo!  After some time and coaxing, I have my five colleagues committed to switch from the other "big brand" to Marriott.  We are all Gold and Diamond and, among the six of us, do over 350 nights annually.  We all use the other co-branded credit card and collectively spend over $299K annually.

I called yesterday to inquire about some type of status match or stay challenge and was dismayed to be told that we couldn't come in with any status.  We were offered a stay challenge but not any meaningful, conditional, status.  Obviously, it's tough to give up Diamond status to start at the bottom with another rewards program.  Is there really nothing further that can be done? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold and Diamond deflectors want to come aboard but no love
    Segments Platinum 4 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

You might be happier staying with the other brand depending on how those nights divide up among the team. 

Hard to give you specifics since you are speaking for a group.  Not sure how your nights break out per person, but the group averages out to make Marriott Gold. (50 nights/year).  If team members are reaching Diamond status based on stays they will be disappointed with Marriott who only measures by nights.

Marriott has tended to protect the brand/ elite status by not offering status matches, only challenges.    Previous periods of offering conditional status were often abused so it is no longer available.

Not sure what you are looking for when you say "meaningful conditional status".  If you are staying with one hotel due to a long project, you may try asking their sales office if they will give you a special rate that includes things you desire such as lounge access while you are working the challenge. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...