15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2015 8:55 PM by clebert RSS

Your First Business Trip

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member
Currently Being Moderated

Since joining this forum I’ve come to realize that a lot of Insiders gained their status from traveling frequently for work. This has piqued my interest, so for every business traveler out there, I’m curious to learn:

• Where did your first business trip with a stay at Marriott take you?
  • How many cities or countries have you visited during your years of business travel?
  • Are you still traveling for business? If you retired or changed fields to something that no longer requires frequent or extended travel, do you miss it?
  • What are things that you’ve learned or tips that you can share with fellow business travelers?

I have found some other threads surrounding business travel from the forum that also sparked some good conversation:

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/124587#124587

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/59033#59033

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/160603#160603

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, stories, and tips!

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to comment

or join Marriott Rewards

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Your First Business Trip
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

First Marriott stay in conjunction with business would be Oklahoma City in some year before electricity.

Cities visited for business, wow.  Many of these places were repeat visits numerous times and those with Marriott properties are in bold:

• Dallas
    • Ft. Worth (yes two very different towns)
    • Austin
    • San Antonio
    • Atlanta
    • Washington DC
    • Memphis
    • Denver
    • Portland, OR
    • Seattle
    • San Jose, CA
    • Atlantic City
    • Charlotte
    • Falls Church, VA
    • Phoenix
    • Los Angeles
    • College Station, TX
    • Beaumont, TX
    • Philadelphia

I give up! LOL

I no longer travel for work as I'm retired and LOVE IT!!!!  I only miss the energy of being an Air Traffic Controller as well as working in the Airspace and Procedures Office.  The office side of it allowed me many many opportunities such as flying airline simulators while working on routes into and out of Houston, NASA, TX Air National Guard and a host of other entities as I was very blessed and fortunate to have met some amazing aviation folks.

Biggest tip I would have to say would be to remain loyal to one or two hotel and airline reward programs.  The lifetime levels reached with Marriott and Continental Airlines (now United ) would never have been achieved without business travel.  Oh, and always remember to be gracious and polite to your fellow travelers as well as those who serve you in the industry.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Amazing insight, as usual!!

Love your advice of being polite towards other travelers and those in the service industry. People oftentimes get so stressed when they travel and overlook the efforts of those who are just trying to help and make their days more comfortable and enjoyable.

Thanks for the post

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

well I have no idea when my first trip was or where but I do know I have traveled a lot in fact with add on's I currently have earned 5.2m points on AA( used for a lot of trips)and 3.2m here at Marriott. So yes I did retire a number of years ago so now am on a number of company boards . I do about 30 nights per year on business so it is nice to be lifetime platinum . I also have  saying don't worry about things you can't control. Last week due to mechanical problems my flight back form Boston was 6 hours late so landed in phoenix around 145AM . best was going to the bar in Boston and having a couple of Cab's. No need to yell at the attendants telling us every hour our flight was another hour late

A couple of cabs is never a bad thing!

The first time I traveled alone to visit a friend and my flight was delayed, I was at Laguardia airport and found my way to a bar where I had some wine, a bowl of soup, and called a few of my friends to catch up. I made the best of a situation when others were freaking out.

there is actually a nice wine bar at Laguardia

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

My first business trip with Marriott was to Overland Park, KS in1991.  I joined Marriott Rewards at that time.  I had stayed at Marriott hotels before, but did not travel enough to consider frequent traveler programs to be of much value.  As I progressed through the 90s, I travelled more and more for leisure and started to pile on the nights.  After retirement I reached Gold and then Platinum.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

My first business trip at a Marriott property was either the Minneapolis Marriott or the Sable Oaks in Portland, Maine, and those date back to the 1980's.

My first (memorable) business trip that wasn't at a Marriott property was earlier, and that trip was to Fort Benning, Georgia (where, among other things, they cut off my hair, woke me up early in the morning, fed me all the food I could eat, put a steel pot on my head, and then threw me out of an airplane)....

Still traveling for business (quite frequently), and I'm not very good at keeping track (and I've always been impressed/unnerved by the folks who do keep track).

• Having said that, just scrolling through this list - Places I've Been, Photos I've Posted (updated, July 2016), it appears that I've taken business trips to more than two dozen destinations with my camera just over the last few years.  [I didn't count the galleries shot during leisure travel.] 
      • And, frankly, what's the point of business travel, if there's not enough time to justify taking the camera??? ... but it happens....  Indeed
        • my last two international trips (to Tanzania and to Austria) both failed to produce the opportunity for a single photo worth sharing - that's pathetic!!!
        • my last two domestic trips - both approximately 24 hours or less - were taken without my camera.  (Bummer.)
    • Also, a recent discussion at the office led me to calculate that I've worked in more than 30 countries during the last 17 years (and, of course, that doesn't include domestic travel).

As noted above, there are lots of fun threads out there, including these:

ssindc,

Did you at least get to have your checked luggage including photo equipment thrown out of the plane with you?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Ah, IAHFLYR, back then it was film cameras, and primarily black and white. Good riddance....

But, more importantly, no one had heard of checked baggage fees back then...  and, if I'm correct, even today, most airlines still don't charge for duffle bags (or, for that matter, most luggage) for military in uniform....

They dang well better not charge military for a thing.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I had been traveling for business for a few years before I started going to a week-long conference at the Marriott World Center in Orlando.  I'd stayed at Marriott-branded properties before but had never signed up for MR.  A colleague attending the World Center conference with me strongly encouraged me to sign up for MR because I was doing a 5-night stay which would get me off to a great start.  So I did, and the rest is history!  Prior to that, I'd been staying wherever was convenient or priced right without giving any thought to rewards programs.

My very first business trip was to a conference at the Sirata on St. Pete Beach about 15 years ago. 

Expanding to airlines:

My first airline trip was to LAX to see my older sister who lived there.  I flew as an unaccompanied minor on UA.  UA took great care of me so I will always have a soft spot for UA, despite its current troubles.

My first airline rewards program was Northwest Airlines.  I signed up as a college student when booking a trip to London.  Those miles were transferred to Delta when the companies merged, and I've got more lifetime miles on Delta than any other airline.

well my first airline trip was for an interview in NYC from Hartford. I bet all of 45 minutes in the air.

Jsucool76 Gold

While I have nothing constructive to add to this topic, as I never get to travel for business, I'll just say I'm a bit jealous. I'd love to be in a field that required frequent travel.

I think I answered only 1 of the questions asked along with 1 question that wasn't asked.  So here are answers to the rest:

How many cities/countries visited for business:

Miami, FL

Naples, FL

Tampa, FL

Orlando, FL

Ft. Myers, FL

St. Pete Beach, FL

New York, NY

Boston, MA

Honolulu, HI

Washington, DC

New Orleans, LA

Cincinnati, OH

Morehead, KY

Minneapolis, MN

Duluth, MN

St. Paul, MN

Eau Claire, WI

Chicago, IL

Des Moines, IA

Okoboji, IA

South Sioux City, NE

Omaha, NE

Sioux Falls, SD

Rapid City, SD

Denver, CO

Seattle, WA

San Francisco, CA

Monterey, CA

Westlake Village, CA

Las Vegas, NV

San Juan, PR

St. Kitts and Nevis (meeting on Nevis)

I still travel a lot - probably twice a month.

Tips:

Get PreCheck

Get Global Entry

Try to get status with an airline if you can

Don't check luggage if it can be avoided

Airline club access is worth the price if you travel a lot

Use the SkyCaps when checking luggage whenever possible

When renting cars, use kiosks whenever possible to avoid sales reps trying to sell you add-ons

Get a credit card with no foreign transaction fees and a microchip

Don't expect all cabs to take credit cards - some only take cash

Bring your own blanket and a small pillow on the plane

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...