This discussion is locked
18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2016 1:34 PM by annamom RSS

Gold Status Challenge/Rollover Question

keonjee Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Note from your Community Managers:  For all inquires and requests regarding Status Challenges, please refer to the following thread:

Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

Hi everyone,

I had a question regarding the Marriott Gold Status challenge and how roll over works. I became a Silver member back in November when I signed up for the gold status challenge (6 stays within 3 months),  I've called Marriott several times about this, but I am getting different answers every time. After hitting silver, I've had about 20 more nights and I estimate the year end total to be about 30 nights (but 5 stays).

My question was: if I meet the 6 stays by the end of the year in 2015, would all my nights above 10 (to renew Silver for next year) not roll over since I would be a gold member going into 2016. The answer was yes, which I understood.

Then I asked, if I meet the 6 stays in January, would all my nights in excess of 10 nights rollover since I would go into 2016 as Silver THEN I would become gold. This is where things got interesting. Out of the 4 times I've called, 2 representatives said all nights would rollover from 2015 allowing me to begin the year with gold status AND the 20 nights. Other 2 said that the moment I meet the status challenge, all nights below 50 would wipe out.

Did anything like this happen to you guys? I'd appreciate any input!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Gold Status Challenge/Rollover Question
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

If you reach Gold this year by completing the challenge, you will get no rollover nights (you'd need to have more than 50). Your Gold status will continue until Feb 2017.

If, instead, you wait until January to make the 6th stay, you'll have your 20 rollover nights (since you end 2015 as Silver) and get your Gold status upon completion of the challenge.

Unless your travels force to make the 6th stay in the next few weeks, I'd wait. Given that you signed up in November, you still have time to complete the challenge after the year end.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

keonjee Silver

So I actually just got off the phone with the 5th Marriott representative, who sounded very confident that no matter when I hit the status through the challenge, all my nights excess of 10 should carry over to 2016. She mentioned that the challenge is a promotion and independent of my rollover nights. Do you think she could be wrong?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

The Rep is wrong and bejacob is right!

This is is a simple T&C issue. Any nights in excess of your elite level on the morning of 01/01 rollover to 2016. So if you're a Silver at 25 nights, 15 rollover to 2016. If you're a Gold with 25 nights at 01/01 none rollover as your level is gold and you're short of the 50 night requirement. Those are the rules. No exceptions!

Your problem is that Marriott actually reconciles its year end statuses in February, so if you follow bejacob advice and dont make that final 6th stay till January, you'll find when Marriott actually checks in February (after you've made your 6 stays and got to gold) they'll be registering a member who made, say, 25 nights in 2015 and who is Gold to Feb 2017 and will guess you had a Gold challenge in 2015, succeeded but didnt mange to get to 50 at yearend, hence no rollovers, so you'll then have a struggle to get your rollovers.

How do I know? It happened to me as a Gold transition to Plat via a challenge at the beginning of one year. I lost 5 rollover nights and just couldn't be bothered to chase them up...

keonjee Silver

Thanks so much, This clarified it a ton. It's unfortunate on my behalf that they reconcile in February and that no matter what I do, I won't have any rollover nights. On a side note, do you happen to know if the 15 nights from the Marriott credit card rollover?

Right now, I have 15 paid stays and 15 nights from the credit card. If I didn't do the status challenge, would I have 20 nights that roll over or just the 15 from my paid stays? Thanks in advance

It doesn't matter how you earned the nights (credit card or stays). They all count the same toward rollover.

Please post an update once the new year begins and let us know when you completed the challenge and achieved Gold status. Also tell us how many (if any) rollover nights you do get. I'm still of the opinion you will carry over any nights in excess of the 10 needed to remain Silver if you wait to complete the challenge in January. If it turns out I'm wrong, I'd like to know so I don't pass along bad information in the future. 

keonjee Silver

I unfortunately believe @brightlybob is correct The reps have been mentioning that they reconcile in February to make sure that people don't take advantage of the system. Otherwise, everyone would try to do the challenge at the end of the year like me so that all their nights above silver would transfer over (allowing me to hit gold fast for the year after) while enjoying gold from the challenge beginning early January,

However, the rep on the phone seemed confident that only paid nights roll over to the next year. She took me to accounts overview->nights detail  and mentioned that anything under "Bonus Nights" do not roll over.

@carat - Do you have any insight on rollover for Marriott Reward Credit card nights?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi keonjee!  The short answer, the elite night credits earned from the credit card are eligible for rollover.  The long: 

Marriott Rewards Elite Rollover Nights is a benefit that allows Elite members to carry forward additional nights to the next year.  After a member has earned enough qualifying nights to earn or renew an Elite status in 2015, all additional nights earned will be applied to 2016.  For example, Silver Elite members that earned 15 nights in 2015 will have five nights applied to their Elite night count for 2016.  This means they will only need to earn an additional five nights during 2016 to renew for the following year.

Please note that Elite Nights rolled over from previous years are not included in the Elite night total used to calculate Elite Rollover Nights.  For example, if a member accrued 30 Elite nights in 2015.  Of these, 5 were Elite Nights rolled over from 2014, so these nights will not be included when the number of Elite Rollover Nights for 2015 are calculated.  That calculation deducted the 5 nights from the 2015 total of 30 Elite nights.  This would result in a total of 25 earned Elite nights, so 15 Elite Rollover Nights would be applied to the 2016 Elite night total.

This applies to all Elite nights, regardless if they were earned from the Marriott Rewards credit card, hotel stays or promotions.

I'd also like to welcome you to the Insiders community.  As you can see from this post, this is a great forum to talk about all things Marriott.  This is also a great forum to share your travel experiences and recommendations. If you ever have any questions, feel free to reach out to me or my fellow moderators, lindseyh and deannad

keonjee Silver

Thank you for the clarification! I am a bit disappointed at the representative on the phone who led me to believe only the paid nights roll over. I've been considering canceling my challenge because I believe having ~25 nights roll over to next year would be more valuable for me to hit Platinum for 2017. Unfortunately, the rep had told me anything I earn from credit card wouldn't roll over. Now I will have to think about whether it'd be best to go through with this challenge at the risk of losing all my rollover nights. I appreciate all your help!

Interesting. So unless you really want the rollover nights (i.e. not completing the challenge) then it doesn't matter whether you finish the challenge in December or January.

With no incentive to complete the challenge early, it appears you're down to two options. Complete the challenge in January and risk losing the rollover nights. or abandon the challenge and keep the rollover nights. The decision seems to come down to your likelihood of reaching Platinum next year. If that is unlikely, I'd grab the Gold status as early in the year as possible (one stay to complete the challenge). Otherwise you'll have to wait until you accumulate the additional 25 nights. The way I travel, that could take 4-6 months. For me, having the Gold status would be more beneficial. Your situation may be different. Definitely a decision to ponder.

The part about nights from the "Bonus Nights" section didn't make sense. Glad that carat cleared that up. The confusion resulting from some nights not being eligible to rollover would have been mind-boggling.

Great Insider insight here!  Thanks a ton bejacob and brightlybobkeonjee, let us know if you have any additional questions. 

jax90 Gold

I have a question regarding this as well. If you move from silver to gold this year (I would probably be getting my 50 night stays in dec-jan), will I only be gold till February 2016 when the new year starts? Or will I be gold for all of 2016?

Thanks.

keonjee Silver

If you get the 50 nights stay before January 1st, you will certainly be gold for all of 2016. However, say you come short at 49 nights, 39 nights will rollover to 2016 and you'll begin 2016 as a silver member. NOTE: This is assuming that none of the 39 nights are rolled over previously from 2014. Rollover nights do not roll over twice.

If all of your nights are from this year, it might be a strategic move for you to purposely come short of 50, have 39 nights roll over and hit gold relatively quickly in 2016. That way, you have gold all the way to 2017 and also have a better chance at platinum.

My scenario was a bit weird because I was doing a status challenge.

Hi jax90keonjee hit the nail on the head.  If you'd like me to take a deeper look, I would be more than happy to, just send a private message my way with your Rewards number.

I'd also like to welcome you to the Insiders Community!  This is a great forum to talk about all things travel.  From sharing recommendations and experiences to getting the most out of the Rewards program, we cover it all.  I am one of the moderators here along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of us, we're here to help.   I've included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

7uno7 Silver

Hi Carat,

Gold Status Challenge:

I would like to be in this promotion too.

Thanks for your interest, 7uno7.  Can you send me a private message with your Rewards number?  I'll work with our team to get you enrolled. 

Welcome to the Insiders Community!  This is a great forum to discuss all things travel related.  From sharing your recommendations and experiences to finding out how to get the most out of the Rewards program, we cover it all.  I'm carat and I moderate the community along with, deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of us, we're here to help.   I've also included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

mahalo99 Silver

Hi Carat.

I would love your help signing up for the Platinum Challenge but for some reason I am unable to send direct messages (I get a red error bar when I press send).

Any suggestions on how I can give you my Marriott #?

Thank you!

Welcome mahalo99!  You may have already seen, this is a great place to discuss all things travel related as well as see how the Rewards program can benefit you.  I've gone ahead and added a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look. 

Getting Started Guide

I've also sent you a private message, you'll be able to send me your Rewards number, and I'll be able to see which challenge you are eligible for.

annamom Silver

Hi Carat,

I am new to this web site, but I am marriott silver for a number of years, is it possible to sign me up for a Gold Challenge? I have several trips coming up.

thanks

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...