14 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2015 7:54 AM by fschumpert RSS

Italian/Swiss Honeymoon

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Thank you to all of the Insiders who gave me such amazing advice for our honeymoon! jerrycoin fschumpert IAHFLYR – Your posts were especially helpful in our planning! I thought I would follow up and let you know how it all turned out! We had such an amazing and memorable honeymoon.

14.jpg

The day after our wedding, we flew to Florence, Italy and spent one night there before embarking on an incredible bike tour through Tuscany. The bike tour began in San Gimignano, and went through Colle di Val D’elsa, Monteriggioni, and ended in Siena. The sites were, as you would imagine, truly spectacular. Each day, by the time we biked to the next town, we had definitely built up an appetite for plenty of wine and pasta.

7.jpg8.jpg

9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

After the bike tour through Tuscany, we went to Lake Como and stayed in Varenna. What a magical and relaxing place! While we were there, my now husband (still strange to say!) and I got to take a cooking class with an Italian chef who ran a restaurant out of his home. I don’t know if any of you are familiar with Rick Steves, but we love him, and one of his books gave us the recommendation: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/il-caminetto-cooking-class-lake-como. If you are ever in Lake Como area, I cannot recommend this experience highly enough.

5.jpg6.jpg

Finally, we took the train up to Switzerland and stayed in Murren, which is close to Gimmelwald. It was in between the summer and winter vacation seasons in Switzerland when we were there (October) so I think we were literally two of maybe 20 people in the entire town. It was quiet and beautiful, and all of the cows and sheep around wore bells – how cute is that!? I have never been to a place like Switzerland! We would love to go back when the towns are covered in snow. I’m sure it would be a true winter wonderland. Thank you again for all of your help! Can’t wait to start planning our next trip!

3.jpg4.jpg1.jpg

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to comment

or join Marriott Rewards

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Milano, Italy
Florence, Italy
Lake Como, Italy
Interlaken, SWITZERLAND
  • Re: Italian/Swiss Honeymoon
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I LOVE these pictures! You two are adorable, and Lake Como looks so amazing!

Did you happen to see George Clooney while you were there?

What did you cook when you went to the chef's home?

Did you have any Swiss chocolate?

What was your favorite dish you ate on the entire trip? (I know, probably impossible to choose just one, but at least one that sticks out in your mind!)

Finally, what made you want to do a biking tour of Italy? Did you find yourselves exhausted at the end of each day, or are you both pretty active normally so it wasn't that big of a change?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks, deannad! In response to your questions, no we did not see Georgie on the trip to Lake Como, sadly.

At the chef's home, we cooked Prosciutto-wrapped veal, homemade pasta that we all go to roll into tortellini, risotto, and had tons of local cheese and meats and wine, of course. I was so full for days! We had to cancel our dinner reservation that night... It was definitely my favorite meal of the trip.

I had some swiss chocolate (just from the grocery store) and it was delicious!

The bike tour was one of the first things we decided for the honeymoon... we knew we wanted to include an "active" activity on the trip so that we got some good endorphins going and would make up for all of the pasta and wine we ate. We belong to a cycling club in honolulu and my husband builds bikes, so it was an interest for us. We were not dead at the end of each day, but definitely hungry! I would recommend it to anyone!!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

melissaerb,

Congratulations on your Wedding and wonderful trip!

You really did "It right"!  The photo's and narrative are really fantastic.

Thank-you for "The Thank-you", it means a lot to me!

I do have one photo to share with you!HPIM0234.JPG

Never thought I would ever share this photo with anyone, but you have "Inspired it"!

Welcome back, and again, "Congratulations"!

Haha look at that guy! So cute!!

melissaerb,

When you are in the area, this is so much better to look at:

IMG_2875.JPG

AZDesertRat Platinum

jerrycoin

Jerry forgot to mention the cow's name:  Stumpy.

AZDesertRat,

Yes, he was named after the Walter Brennan character in Rio Bravo!

A great John Wayne, Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson film!

The Swiss love Westerns!

AZDesertRat Platinum

Congratulations on your wedding and such a wonderful honeymoon trip.  Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos. 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Congratulations on your wedding!  Looks like one fantastic honeymoon!!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Congrats melissaerb to you and hubby!

I completely echo almost everything Mr. Coin wrote except for the picture to share:

"Congratulations on your Wedding and wonderful trip!

You really did "It right"!  The photo's and narrative are really fantastic.

Thank-you for "The Thank-you", it means a lot to me!"

I'm sure though I can find a picture to share with you!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

You guys are precious!  Wonderful photos and honeymoon.  Congratulations!

It's such a great story, I'd love to read some of your answers to deannad's great questions.  More please!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Great stuff!  Congrats!

Thanks for sharing!!!!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Congrats on the nuptials melissaerb!  And thanks for sharing!  Looks like an outstanding honeymoon for sure... and you're making want to head back to Italy soon

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

Spectacular! Was that you on the hang glider in Switzerland?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...