5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2016 8:54 AM by gfcfmom2one RSS

Our disappointing experience at Gaylord Palms Florida

joepuglia Member
Currently Being Moderated

We go to Gaylord every year for the Christmas experience. The last 4 years we have stayed at Gaylord the same week every year because my wife is a school teacher and we go Thanksgiving break. It's the same every year.

Well we thought this year was no different. Your web site advertised the holiday special complete with show, ice and tree lighting. So we took advantage of the Florida resident special.

When we got to Gaylord and checked into our room we noticed that the lights we always look forward to seeing were not on. We always enjoyed sitting on the balcony and looking at the lights. At the time we just thought that maybe they will go on later.  We'll they never did.

We took a walk around the atrium to pass some time because we had dinner reservations at Vila de Flora later in the evening. As we did we noticed that no one was sitting around stage like people normally do to see the 6:30 show. We thought that maybe we were just early. But as time got close nothing was happening and no one was allowed to enter the seating area. I asked a worker what was going on he told me there was no show tonight. In fact, there was not going to be a show until Tuesday.

My wife got visibly upset when she heard that because that was the day we were checking out! I asked to speak to a manager to find out what was going on and why this year there is no show or lightning. After waiting a few minutes 2 guys came to me ask what the problem was. When I explained that we came to specifically see the show, lighting and experience ice and why the date was changed, I was told by one of the managers that the date this year was changed to start on Tuesday and not Sunday.

So then I told him that we were not aware of this and we were very disappointed. We would have not booked our stay if we new it was changed. Hoping that the manager would do something for us to make us feel better about the situation he did the complete opposite!! He told us that date was on the we site and if we didn't want to stay we could just check out and go home and we wouldn't be charged.

WHAT??? Check out and go home? You call this making us feel better? My wife started to cry and manager had no empathy for us at all. I asked and almost begged for him to do something to salvage this. I even made recommendations and nothing was done except giving us a bottle of cheap wine.

What a disappointment. Your main phone number waiting message says you call your employees stars. What a joke. He was not star.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT FROM GAYLORD THIS YEAR.

I hope this email gets read by someone who will make some changes with your management customer training.

Oh and by the way he also never apologized. How sad is that?

Joepiglia

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Our disappointing experience at Gaylord Palms Florida
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Sounds like a terribly frustrating experience, joepuglia.  I'd like to bring this to the appropriate teams attention.  Can you send me a private message with the dates of your stay as well as your Rewards number? 

I'd also like to welcome you to Insiders.  This is a great place to share your travel experiences and recommendations as well as learn about the many benefits of the Rewards program.  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators here along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any of us.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

GLad I've read this was going to stay here for 2 Nights at Xmas but will give it a miss now

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

That sucks. Though if the dates were on the website then it's ones responsibility to check.  As for how the situation was handled, what would it be a good fix for you? They can't move the tree lighting and show up just for you. Trying to get discount for something that was your mistake for not checking doesn't sound quite ok either, everyone that was there that day would be entitled to it as well. Checking out at noncharge seems ok, since I'm assuming you had spent quite a while there already. At least you got a bottle of wine.

Jsucool76 Gold

They're website shows it starts on november 24th, which is the tuesday before thanksgiving, so if you went away for thanksgiving it should have been happening

gfcfmom2one Member 2 Reviews

I'm sorry about your experience, and I hate to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one.  However, they need to do something about the management staff.   I have stayed here for 7 years for our annual mommy daughter holiday weekend.  What a disappointment each year has become.  Less decorations, horrible show this year and the staff is uncaring.  I spend the weekend of Dec. 11th there.  I didn't get any great deal, I always pay for an ungraded atrium view.  So we can see the lights, and possible the show from our balcony.  I than returned on the 21st, booked 2 rooms for 2 nights myself and my sister and her children.  They live in fort worth and do a weekend at the Texan every year.  So her kids were excited to see the Palms.  What a disaster that was.  Our rooms we at the end near the spa.  No view of lights.  And of course no one cared.  We checked in around 11:30 but our rooms weren't ready until 4.  Everyone in the long line was upset.  So the staff was very defensive.  It wasn't worth it to argue, cry or get upset and ruin everyone's stay.  But I'm still disappointed. 

I do not travel for business anymore.  I don't have a Platinum level status yet.  But the kicker was the generic email response form Marriott and the staff at the Gaylord that my experience was an isolated case.  I will not be back. 

However, the staff at the Cosmopolitan, the Casa Monica and the World Center have always made me feel like I was Platinum. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...