13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2016 11:04 PM by worldtraveller29 RSS

How does marriott rewards status work/renew?

texaseng Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I started in hotels at the end of july and got platinum status sometime in October. How long will I be designated as Platinum Elite? Does that designation end with the New Year? I have about 112 night this year.

Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How does marriott rewards status work/renew?
    zogbq Member

I just had a long conversation with Marriott Rewards this AM on this exact question. This is what I was told. Anyone, please correct me if it anything does not sound right, as it almost sounds too good to be true. Also, the person I spoke to did not initially know all the answers to my questions and had to go to a supervisor for clarification.

All nights count for both the current and the next year's credits. So eg, if one earned 20 credits in 2015, they would keep silver elite status throughout 2016 without staying a single night in 2016. Also someone who earned 5 credits in 2015 can start at that 5 in 2016 in order to try to make silver elite for 2016 (it does not reset). But if no nights were earned in 2016, the silver elite would end in 2017. If someone earned 20 credits in 2015 and another 10 in 2016, in 2017 they would start out with 10 credits.

So according to what I was told, your platinum elite should be good throughout 2016.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

zogbq   You are correct except it's a bit better still.  You do not lose (or change) your staus until January 31 of the next year.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

That doesn't quite sound right, zogbq. You might have the general idea. Here's how I understand it.

After Dec 31, all nights earned reset to zero. Whatever status you reached by the end of the year will stay with you for the following year and into February of the next.  So if you earned Silver in 2015, you get to keep it until Feb 2017. Okay, so far so good.

Now, although the nights reset to 0, you may be eligible for rollover nights. Rollover nights are any nights above what is needed to qualify for a specific level. Using Silver again, anything above 10 nights earned in 2015 (assuming you didn't reach 50 nights and earn Gold) will become rollover nights. With the example you selected of 20 nights, you begin 2015 with 10 rollover nights toward your status meaning you already qualified to renew your Silver status for another without even staying a night and you're on the way to reaching Gold by accumulating 40 more nights.

Here's my nights count from this year.

Rollover.PNG

If I had any rollover nights from last year, they would have appeared here. With the 84 nights I have now, I will get 9 rollover nights in 2016 even if I don't make anymore stays this year (I actually do have a few more upcoming). Where rollover nights get tricky is that they only roll over once. There are other threads on that topic, so I won't go into it here.

So looking at what texaseng has now, Platinum status will continue for all of 2016 and into early 2017. If all 112 nights were earned this year (no 2014 rollover) which sounds to be the case, you'll begin 2016 with 37 rollover nights, well on the way to renewing Platinum status.

So the short answer is that nights DO reset to zero, but some nights may be eligible to rollover giving you a head start in 2016.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

You de man, bejacob! (There should be a link to your post in the "Getting started guide.")

zogbq Member

So the person I spoke to today had no idea what she was talking about. How do rollover nights work if one has not achieved elite status, eg let's say I have 5 nights in 2015?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

That's a good question and I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure. Here is a link to the FAQ on rollover nights.

Elite Rollover Nights FAQs Page

I don't see anything in the FAQ that covers what happens below the Silver level. My best guess would be that with 5 nights at year end, you would get no rollover nights. One could argue that to renew at your current level requires no nights so therefore you should get 5 rollover nights. I'm afraid I don't know if that is the case or not.

My recommendation is not to worry about rollover nights for this year and apply for the Marriott Rewards credit card in January. That will put you at Silver right away.

texaseng Platinum

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to know.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

You will retain Platinum until the end of January 2017 based upon your nights in 2015.  At that time, you will be given your status based upon the number nights credit for 2016.  If you fail to accrue enough nights credit, regardless of the number of nights in 2016,  you will not be downgraded below Gold, since you cannot be downgraded more than one level from the year before.

Thus, if you accumulate very few (or no) nights, in the future, you will remain Platinum through January 2017 and then be Gold through January 2018.

justincfreem Platinum

I like the fact you can get credit for the roll over and effectively have a really strong year of stays and credit card spend help you effectively get platinum for 2 additional years.   Pretty cool feature.    I really made my travel heavy decision to switch to Marriot earlier in 2015 and will have completed around 125 stays, plus another 25 between spend and the 15 credits without the 2016 elite credits from the credit card,  so I will basically have 75 nights roll over into 2016 which in turn qualifies me to maintain my platinum status through 2017 if I am not mistaken.    Now if they would just amp up the platinum status with the merger with Starwood I would be set. 

worldtraveller29 Platinum

Hey

I also would like to know how it works to renew Platinum status after february 2017.

I got Platinum status trough a status match with a head office in Germany from Marriott Rewards till end of February 2017. I will have maximum 20 nights credit 2016 with Marriott. Does anybody know if they downgrade me two levels to Silver or they will downgrade only one level to Gold?

Another possibility I was thinking to do the Marriott Status buy back if they will do again early 2017.

nationwide Platinum

Worldtraveller29, you should only go down one level to Gold.  Your description makes it sound as if you received platinum status through some special dispensation/program.  If there are some special rules surrounding that program, and renewing status, I am not aware of them.  Everything I have read would suggest you will only be downgraded to Gold,      And, you may get the opportunity to buy platinum back in the Spring of 2017.

If history serves, buy-back would cost you 40,000 points or so for platinum... you may want to stockpile a few points if keeping platinum in 2017 is worth it for you.

Message was edited by: nationwide

worldtraveller29 Platinum

Thank you Nationwide for the kind answer.

Yes I do hope so the same. I think it should be then at March the Gold status for me. I'm not sure yet if I will do the Elite buy back status but maybe worth to give it a try. 40000 Points seems quite ok to be another year a Elite Level Member.

I really do like how treat Marriott the High tier members. My stays this year around the world was quite good and many suite upgrades.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...