9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2015 2:13 PM by zogbq RSS

Timing of 15 credit bonus with Marriott Rewards Credit Card

zogbq Member
Currently Being Moderated

I just joined as a Marriott rewards member a couple months ago. I am considering signing up for the Marriott Rewards credit card and am trying to figure out how the 15 yearly bonus credits are applied. I am only aware of one non-business Marriott credit card, so if there are additional choices please let me know. It seems that the credits are applied like traditional nights, so eg, if I was to sign up for the credit card in January 2016, the 15 nights would be applied to me for 2016, but since all credits are applied to the following year, doesn't this mean I could still use those 15 credits toward elite status in 2017, plus an additional 15 credits that would be applied in January 2017, making 30 credits at that time?

When speaking to Marriott rewards on the phone today, I was told that these credits are applied like regular hotel nights, but wanted to clarify if this is correct. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Timing of 15 credit bonus with Marriott Rewards Credit Card
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It's a good idea to sign up in January for the credit card as the 15 nights will be credited to you then and again each year on your anniversary. The earlier in the year the better (mine show up in Feb). The nights you earn each year do reset to zero after Dec 31, though some may qualify as rollover nights and carry forward.

What won't happen is that you start 2017 with 30 nights as you suggest. You'll start at zero (plus any rollover nights) and then earn 15 for the credit card on the anniversary date.

With the credit card, you'll always be at least Silver and have a decent head start on reaching Gold each year.

Hope that helps.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Also, remember, that if you have the credit card, you get 1 night's credit for each $3,000 that you charge to the card.  In addition, you get 1 night's credit for your birthday, if you are platinum.

So start with 37 rollover nights at the start of the year and get the MR signature VISA and you already have 52 nights.  Charge $3,000 each month and you are up to 64 plus one on your birthday for 65.  You would then, have to stay only ten nights to qualify for Platinum in 2017.

zogbq Member

So the 15 bonus credits are not applied like traditional nights? Eg, if I signed up in January 2016, I would get 15 credits. Assume I do not stay in a Marriott in 2016. The 5 credits beyond Silver do not carry over into 2017?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

No, they are applied like traditional nights, so if you made no stays in 2016, you would carry 5 nights over to 2017. Then in 2017, you'll get 15 nights for the credit card again. That's when things get tricky. At the end of 2017 (if you still make no stays) the 5 nights rolled over the first year expire, so while you would end the year with 20 nights, only 5 will rollover. Here is the formula (20 nights - 5 expired rollover nights - 10 needed to stay Silver = 5 rollover nights).

Essential what the credit card does is guarantee you will be Silver every year (and if you never reach Gold) give you at least 5 rollover nights every year. Of course, if your going to be Silver and carry the Marriott card, you'll want to stay at least a few nights otherwise why bother with the card. Also as phctourist points out you'll get another night for every $3000 you spend on the card.

Register your birthday with Marriott Rewards and you'll get credit for an additional night on your birthday (regardless of what you elite level is). So with the 15 nights, the nights for every $3k spent on the card, the birthday night, you could easily get 20 nights without too much difficulty. Spend 30 nights in hotels over the year and you'll reach Gold.

Rollover nights still confuse a lot of folks, though there are several people on this site that can help explain the topic. Keep on asking questions. The community is a great resource to get answers.

zogbq Member

Yes, of course, I was not planning on staying 0 nights, I was only simplifying the example for clarity in understanding rollover nights, which is now clear. What I was trying to determine was the de facto # of nights/yr over the long-term that comes with the credit card, which is 20 (15 for the first year) at the silver level.

Thanks for the birthday tip, did not know about that.

Are you sure that the expiration of the credit card credits is by calendar year and are the new issuances based on account anniversary date? So the above example would only hold for a new credit card around the beginning of the year, rather than, say, in July.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great Insider insight here, way to go crew!

Welcome to the Insiders Community, zogbq!  As you may have already seen this is a great place to talk about all things travel related.  From sharing travel experiences and recommendations to finding out more about the Rewards program, we cover it all.  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators here along with lindseyh and deannad.  If you ever have any questions, please feel to reach out to any of us, we're here to help.   I've also gone ahead and included a link to our Getting Started Guide. 

Getting Started Guide

In regards to your post, feel free to reach out if you have any additional questions. Looking forward to hearing more from you. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...