27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2015 9:24 PM by clebert RSS

Rude Marriott Rewards Email - "Your Account: Your 2015 Travel Personality"

guykid Member
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else find the recent "Your Account: Your 2015 Travel Personality" email from Marriott rewards to be super snarky and relatively rude? I was rated to travel like Undiscovered Talent and told I did not stay a Marriott hotels enough during my travel. I think the marketing here really fell flat and I was put off greatly by the content of the email. The email defs makes me not want to stay at Marriott in the future and I think it was a big miss on the sign off and sending of the email. Who knows, maybe some folks were rated really high and told they did a great job. For all of us bottom feeders, we have to up our game in 2016 I guess to get a thank you email from the hotel chain that we stay at in our travel. Super marketing fail :/ reminds me of the AirBnB "You're welcome" tax marketing in CA. Big whiff.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rude Marriott Rewards Email - "Your Account: Your 2015 Travel Personality"
    7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I got a notification on my iPhone of it and since I was already on my laptop I checked my mail there and didn't see it. I then checked the webmail for the account and it wasn't there either. I looked at the phone again and the notifications was still there so I swiped to open it and it launched the app, but then the message wasn't there.

I came here to post about it and saw your message. Makes me wonder if they sent it out accidentally and then recalled it (though that would be the first time I've ever actually seen a recall work).

____Update____

It was killing me thinking that an e-mail just vanished, plus I was dying to find out what "Record Pro..." meant. After much searching in the webmail I found that it somehow went to a folder called "Deleted Items" (not "Trash" which is where most things go when I delete them. Only possibility that I can think of is that a notification popped up exactly as I was clicking something and the delete button just happened to be under my mouse.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Rude Marriott Rewards Email - "Your Account: Your 2015 Travel Personality"
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

I didn't even receive an email, which probably means my rock 'n roll "Travel Personality" is "Concert Security Detail at Altamont Speedway."

happitraveler Platinum 1 Reviews

Seems to me that some folks are just looking for a reason to be offended.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I got one and found it interesting that they summarized what I did in the year.  Banks do that with our credit cards too.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Gosh guykid I didn't find it rude at all; mine said I traveled like a Karaoke Star.  It said I traveled purely for fun (true) and my ability to have a good time wherever I went was contagious (I hope so).  Karaoke Star, huh?  Love Shack, baby Love Shack!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Shucks, why am I only a karaoke singer when we all know I'm a rock star!

Ok, seriously, I read the description.  I don't think it was rude.  It says you have potential.  It wondered if you were staying elsewhere.  It invited you to travel more with Marriott next year and "we'll take you far," which is true: stay more, earn more rewards. 

You are right that sometimes marketing campaigns do fall flat.  On the other hand, don't take it personal.  If you don't already feel thanked by Marriott for your business (flat marketing campaigns aside), then there's a problem.

And also, some years can be leaner for travel than others.  I hope someday I will achieve lifetime platinum status with Marriott.  Along the way, there may be a year here or there when I'm only at silver level.  That's life.

Anyway, thanks for posting, welcome and don't be a stranger.  This is a great site to learn and share about all the ins and outs of Marriott Rewards and other travel related stuff.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If you think that's rude, what about me?  I was ignored and didn't even get an e-mail.  Apparently Marriott thinks I have no personality.  (Or then again, perhaps I exceed all their categories and cannot be captured in this list!)

georgia67 Platinum

Pluto77 they must of go our emails mixed up... According to my email  I am a Rock Star.

Guykid, do not be offended.  I read the statement as one of genuine concern and respectful.  "Undiscovered Talent" is not a bad thing.  All stars are undiscovered until they are in the right place, at the right time, then they are revealed as the newly discovered talent, a "diamond" or "star" waiting to be discovered.  The statement closes with concern for your well being, and hope that you will stay with Marriott more in 2016.  I think everyone would agree that Marriott would not intentionally offend anyone.  The "Undiscovered Talent" statement is similar to the analogy of how one looks at a "Half Glass of Water"?  Is the glass half empty or half full .

I am sorry this marketing campaign offended you, Marrriott is great company, enjoy yourself and all the benefits Marriott offers.  In the long term you are the one that benefits. 

chocoli30 Gold 6 Reviews

I Loved it!!  i actually liked the reminfder of the traveling Ive done in the beginning of 2015

You Traveled Like a Rock Star
    You don't need the red carpet rolled out when you arrive (not that you'd say no to one). But you're used to a luxurious life at the top of the charts – and this year you indulged well.

Travelers like you are more likely to...
    Stay at a Ritz Carlton® or a JW Marriott®
    Upgrade their room
    Visit Europe more often
    You Climbed the Charts in 2015!
    YOU EARNED
    197,204 Points
    YOU EXPLORED
    7 Cities
    YOU ENJOYED
    7 Hotels
    YOU TRIED
    5 Brands
    Member Benefit: Redemption stays now earn credit toward Elite status.
    Rock Stars, DJs or Producers – how do you compare? See the full list of Marriott Rewards travelers here.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I agree with HappiTraveler that some just look for things to be upset and more.   Don't recall ever seeing guykid before and my guess is probably won't again on Insiders.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

I must say that early on, being on these boards and having less than gold status could be a bit off-putting. Reading the complaints about over-crowded concierge lounges, not receiving expected upgrades, lack of recognition at check-in, etc. made me wonder, "What the heck am I doing here?" But I hung with it, and as I got to "know" many of the Insiders who post regularly -- like you and a whole host of others whom I won't try to list for fear of overlooking someone -- I realized the folks I care to respond to don't care what color the badge by your name is.

Personally, I don't give a rat's patootie about my annual "achievements" in the eyes of the corporation. That's not the reason I enjoy this community. But as guykid stated, the bottom-feeder perspective is somewhat different than that of many on these boards. The esteemed erc once proclaimed me "Chairman of the Bottom-feeder Committee," a distinction I'm still proud to claim. (And the good news is that although the light may be filtered down here, the really frightening predators tend to stay toward the top of the water column.)

So I hope guykid sticks around and finds the value of contributing to this site that I've come to know.

The Bottom-feeder Committee will now come to order.

bottom feeder frenzy.jpg

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

MY one was pretty close image.png

Platinum 28 Reviews

I'm going to give everyone the benefit of doubt as to their intelligence.

I can't fathom anyone taking these emails seriously. 

There is absolutely, positively, NO WAY MR could go through (even with automation) 50  million members and decide what there stupid "title" for the year was.

Take mine, a "Karaoke etc  etc...." - they claimed I was traveling for pleasure when 90% of my stays were for business.

Once again, I must  (at the risk of creating even more enemies) make the statement:  Anyone taking these messages seriously has to reflect on why it irritates them when MR doesn't see them in he view that they see themselves.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Well, I am offended because I didn't even get this email!  No actually, I got it and they said I traveled like a Choir Director.  Just kidding.  I really did not get it, and the suspense is killing me!  Did anyone get Groupie for their 2015 Travel Personality?  If not, I cry fowl on behalf of groupies around the world.

Well, I am offended because I didn't even get this email!  No actually, I got it and they said I traveled like a Choir Director.  Just kidding.  I really did not get it, and the suspense is killing me!  Did anyone get Groupie for their 2015 Travel Personality?  If not, I cry fowl on behalf of groupies around the world.

Jsucool76 Gold

Bahahaha. I didn't read the email until you pointed it out here:

"You traveled like a rock star..."

Apparently I'm used to luxury. They must know I live in Boca. lol.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...