9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2015 11:34 AM by ericwynn RSS

Pros and Cons of staying in a new hotel

Jsucool76 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hey Insiders,

As some of you may know, (if all goes according to plan) I'll be staying at the new Delta Lake Buena Vista in december for my trip to disney. The hotel (again, if it opens on time) will have been open a mere 4 nights on the day I arrive. I've never stayed in a new hotel before, though I'm sure some of you have. What have your experiences been like? Fantastic, lacking? Untrained staff?

I'm hoping I can get them to waive the parking fee since i'll likely be one of their first guests. Sadly I wont be able to earn points for the stay, but I think it should be an interesting experience. Hotel has opened and closed numerous times over the years, but this is the first time under the Marriott flag, and it will be the only Delta hotel in the US for now. =]

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Pros and Cons of staying in a new hotel
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I think the Delta brand is destined to echo the Hilton Garden Inn, older properties that can't make the full service brand standards, maybe due to small rooms, no bathtubs, lack of gym, pool, seperate bar, or even down to aircon - FS Marriott mandates built-in hotel wide aircon - Delta standard may allow those wall vented ones like you see at CY and FFI. They will however be full service properties with the Marriott bed. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the place and the brand standards when after your stay!

Now to answer your question, I've only stayed in 2 new hotels, both were brand spanking new builds, both in Birmingham, UK. Both were IHG properties. The first was a HIX. Staff were amazingly good, place smelled new, bed lovely and comfy and due to a foul up with the builders the parking machine wasn't working so free parking too! The other stay was Staybridge Suites. Again a brand new smell throughout but this time the heating in the room didn't work, so it was added to the glitch list and I was then upgraded from my junior to a full suite. The rest was all very nice. Staff very attentive, but struggled with the IT. So a few time consuming glitches but a great stay. If your experience of the Delta is similar you'll no doubt  be happy!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

In October we stayed @ The Courtyard Gatlinburg.  It had been opened about a week.  The staff was energetic, engaged and seemed to proud of their new hotel.  The common areas were really nice, especially the outdoor fire pit, rocking chairs and entertainment corners.  I won't get into the dismal, drab & depressing decor in the guest rooms, since it is not on topic, but OH, MY!  I know many millennials & none that would enjoy that decor, uncomfortable & sparse furniture & inadequate lighting.  If that is what the appeal was meant to be, in my opinion, it was far off base. Sorry...back to the topic...

The only issue I noticed related to being newly opened was staffing.  The employee making drinks @ the bar, taking and delivering food orders to the restaurant & trying to run Starbucks was over her head.  She commented that plenty of employees had been hired & trained, but moved on when the hotel opened.  It seemed to put them in a difficult spot.  It did net us free, lukewarm Starbucks coffee for the duration of our stay - definitely not a perk

Still, I love new properties for their freshness & novelty.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I stayed at the brand spanking new SpringHill Suites in Buffalo a few weeks back.  Obviously, everything was shiny, clean and new.  The staff were amazing, I had used mobile check-in and my keys were ready and waiting for me.  They kept telling me to please let them know if they could offer any assistance.  I was certainly impressed and had no issues during my 2 nights stay.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Have enjoyed wonderful stays at new hotels.  From a well trained staff all the way to a spotless property each time has worked out quite well.

Will be getting to the new JW Marriott Cabo San Lucas soon and from what I've read they have done quite well in almost every area since opening so very excited to see the resort and Associates.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

More often than not, new hotels are a good experience.  Mattresses are always good and problems are less likely than in older facilities.  Most of the time, staff is well trained.  Last spring we stayed in the FFI in Rehoboth Beach DE, which was about four months old.  Everything was great.  Room, common areas and staff were all outstanding.

One recent exception was the Wilmington, NC CY, about a year ago.  Doors didn't close and the hotel, in general, was not yet ready for prime time.  On top of that , it was a CY, so they already had one strike against them.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I have always had good experiences with new properties that were new construction.  It sounds like this property will be a refurbished hotel.  I've only stayed at one new Marriott property that was a refurbished hotel and that was the Fair Oaks Marriott in Fairfax, VA.  Previously the hotel was a Holiday Inn before Marriott.  Everything was nice in the Marriott remodel but the hotel had not changed the thermostats in the room and they were really outdated and a bit of an eyesore with the new surroundings but functional.   The very next time I stayed at the property I noticed they updated the thermostats.  So there is a possibility you might encounter some things in your room that may have not been updated with a remodel.  More than likely the staff will be very accommodating with a new opening.

jt15550 Platinum

I'll be staying two weeks in Jan at the JW Minneapolis Mall of America.  It was supposed to open in Nov - the pictures online are still from CAD drawings.

The other benefit I can think of is that you may be enticed with points to write a review of the hotel, with it being new and all.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Just to add t my earlier post, my postponed honeymoon is in the hands of a brand new Autograph. I've redeemed 360k points for a travel package into Virgin miles and purchased first class returns to Maimi, once there we're staying 3 nights on a redemption at the Intercontinental (sorry Marriott, I'm straying a little) but after that we depart for the Florida Keys for 7 nights at the as-yet-unbuilt Autograph Playa Largo. its due to open in March and we're staying at the beginning of April.

ericwynn Platinum

My experience with the new hotels are that they are really working hard to make a first impression. I have done a number of them, and I have 4,000 nights.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...