We sadly cancelled our trip to Paris and London, literally hours before we were supposed to leave on Monday night, when the US State Dept. Issued its warning for international travelers. We didn't want to blow all of our Marriott points and Frequesnt flier miles with our young children traveling with us, with the warnings issued. We will return to Paris when it will be more carefree. I am sure it is fine, but we would have felt a bit on edge, and we wanted a stressfree(or as relatively stress free as you can get when traveling with children) Vacation, so now here we are with our points and me needing a break!
I am looking at Hawaii...when will we be able to book Starwood hotels? I am sorry if this has been answered, but I have been out of the loop!
Thanks so much for any info you can throw my way!
Happy, safe travels,
SOrry for the typos...this iPad has a mind of its own! uggg!
Hawaii is a great choice, lakeshore! At the moment, there is no word when the two companies will be joined together. There are plenty of Insider's who've made the journey and there are a bunch of great threads. I've been lucky enough to travel to both Oahu and Maui, and enjoyed both islands very much! bejacob just recently wrote a few great blog posts that you may find extremely helpful.
Do keep us updated with what you end up choosing.
I don't think companies can operate as one until at least the purchase is approved thru anti trust. Before that they must continue to be fully separate companies. After that it will be up to Marriott what they want to do. Also at this point there is no prohibition form another buyer offering more
lakeshore Sorry you also had to cancel your trip. We were booked into the Paris Rive Gauche and then on to Normandy and Pro and we also cancelled, although it was more due to an illness (probably gallbladder but we don't know yet) than the ISIS violence. At least you will make your trip elsewhere. I will probably be out of the travelling loop for a few months.
Phctourist, I am so sorry for your change in plans, too. I hope all you are feeling better soon. I know you would have had a great time at the Rive Gauche. We still think of Valerie and her staff so fondly. We had a lovely time there on more than one occasion, as you know. This time, we had less time in Paris, so we were so excited to stay in the heart of it all at the Vendome, and then at Grosvenor Square in London, but since we had our young children coming with us, we just decided to wait until all is calm. It's just different with kids, at least for us. We wouldn't want anything to happen. Plus, we used to live in Paris, so we know we will be back. It is our second home. My heart aches for what has happened.
It looks like we won't be traveling now until spring break, but I was just wondering about the Starwood situation. I would love to stay at the Moana Surfrider for personal/sentimental reasons. We have been to Oahu many times, and also Maui and Kauai, but I found a good price on flights, and a couple of the kids have never been to Oahu, so I thought I'd see if we could book the new hotels anytime soon. Thanks to Carat for bejabob's info..it looks very familiar! And makes me want to get on a plane right now! Lol!
We were Kauai Thanksgiving last year...we all had an amazing time. And, although my turkey is pretty darn good, I would trade it in a heartbeat for Thanksgiving dinner at Duke's overlooking the bay/ocean in Lihue!!! Maybe next year?!!
lakeshore My wife was also concerned about safety on the trip but we were going to go anyway. But then my physical problem started acting up and we decided I need to figure out what my problem is before travelling. Three Dr. visits and three lab visits later it looks like gallbladder, but one more test is necessary to confirm that. Meanwhile, I am eating the exact opposite diet of the one I would have had in France. It is boring, but my symptoms have almost gone away.
Next big trip, I hope, will be LA, Half Moon Bay and San Francisco, next spring!
lakeshore A merger this size will take longer than the liberal estimate of the two companies (hoping to close the deal middle of 2016).
I would estimate the first chance you would have to trade points for a Starwood property would be well after January 2017.
Many of you that were members of either American or US Airways might have forgotten that the ability to book US Air reservations on the AA site was well over a year after the merger was proposed (this merger has not yet been concluded, it is still a "proposed" merger that has been agreed to by both company's. The lowest of their priorities will be reserving rooms with points at the "other" properties.
The Marriott - Starwood "marriage" is in many ways more difficult than the airline merger. It is also as big or bigger than the AA merger (in dollar value).
My original post suggesting that it would be well after 2017 is probably an optimistic guess.