10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2015 11:41 AM by carat RSS

Is 68 nights enough?

crockerjq Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I have been in the mid-to-high 60s for stays the last two years, and both years I have been granted Platinum Status by Marriott.

This year is much the same.  I am probably going to end up with 68 nights.

Does anyone have any insight into the formula Marriott uses for those who receive the "almost" upgrade?

I have expensive stays in Europe and reservations for more in 2016.

I've been a Platinum and Marriott member for many years.

Obviously, it would be nice to have Platinum Status next year, but I'm not sure it is worth spending $700 on nights I do not need.

Side Note: If the United Airlines Silver Status is offered again next year, it would make the $700 more appealing.  Is there anything confirming this?  We had to wait until mid-December last year for confirmation...

Anyway, ANY thoughts or references greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Is 68 nights enough?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It's difficult to say if Marriott will extend Platinum status to you next year as they have previously when you didn't reach the required 75 nights.  Being so very close if the difference between Gold and Platinum means something to you then you may want to ensure you get to Platinum and book the remaining nights just to remove any doubt. 

Hate to turn a question around with a question, but it is something you have to answer for yourself or take the gamble if you're a gambler!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

The other thing to consider is the status buy back. If Marriott decides 68 nights is not enough, you'll be dropped to Gold, but the option to buy your Platinum status back for points will likely follow early in the new year. It's been available the last few years and it's reasonable to assume it will be again in 2016. To buy back Platinum status will cost 40,000 rewards points. You could buy that many points for $500 from Marriott, so it would be cheaper than the $700 you mentioned. Of course, if you're sitting on a bunch of points already, it may be worth using them to stay Platinum (if you do end up being dropped down to Gold) and that wouldn't involve any out of pocket spending.

golfer1 Platinum 1 Reviews

I  Am a platinum member but only earned 72 night in 2015. I didn't realize that I Marriott might still give me platinum status or that I could use points to maintain my status for next year.  Should I be contacting someone at Marriott.

thanks for the info.

m

KatieC Member

Hi golfer1 - We would be happy to look into this for you. Please send me a private message with your Rewards # and the best way to reach you.

mohangonzales Gold

Hi KatieC,

I have the same question...I'll finish the year with 71 nights. Can you please help me determine if that'll be enough to move to platinum?

Thanks!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi mohangonzales.  I am also one of the moderators here and I'd like to reach out for clarity.  Would you mind sending me a private message with your Rewards number?  Thanks in advance.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight here.  crockerjq, if you have any additional questions regarding this, feel free to reach out. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've never heard of Marriott having a specific formula for "comping Plat" though having been a many year active member of FT and active here for a couple of years now, it is certainly the case that Marriott does seem to renew Plat to those that get close. Nonetheless they do actually bust down, do bust down though, a few years ago ended the year with about 40 nights and was duly busted from Plat to Gold.

From your point of view after several years of getting close you may find you're finally busted. As bejacob has remarked, you could consider buying back Plat for 40,000 points, which can be worthwhile for regular short-staying busted plats. 30 1-night and 10 2-night stays at $200/nt which totals only 40 nights will recover the 40,000 points in Plat bonus and welcome points.

And is always worth mentioning the free Marriott card which gives 10nights so even if you're not persuaded by Chase, that would give you enough nights annually to make it

curiousone Platinum

I am ending the year with 73 nights. If they had initiated the Elite Night credit for points stays earlier in the year I would have made the 75. I called MR Tuesday and asked if they could keep me at Plat for 2016. I was told to wait until late Jan to see if they actually dropped me to Gold. If they do then I should call MR and ask to be kept at Plat for 2016. Apparently a decision to be made by a "supervisor".

curiousone Platinum

I am ending the year with 73 nights. If they had initiated the Elite Night credit for points stays earlier in the year I would have made the 75. I called MR Tuesday and asked if they could keep me at Plat for 2016. I was told to wait until late Jan to see if they actually dropped me to Gold. If they do then I should call MR and ask to be kept at Plat for 2016. Apparently a decision to be made by a "supervisor".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...