14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2015 5:31 PM by iahflyr RSS

United Schedule Changes

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

For those of you who may want to book a flight on United Airlines and for those of you who currently have reservations please check and recheck your reservations for possible and probably schedule changes.  These changes may be as simply as a flight number or annoying as a change to the aircraft type that can cause changes in the seats you've already select or a complete foul up on your schedule.

I've had changes before that caused us to completely change from departing one NYC airport to another because they completely cancelled and removed the flight from their schedule.  We've also had them move the scheduled departure time an hour later or more which would cause us to have possibly missed a planned event, yet have not really put out a rant as I am about to do.

As Previously on seen on United dot com:

• Original reservation IAH-PVR departing at 8:45 AM and upgraded to First Class using reward miles
  • Random review of my flights in my account I come upon a flight change that I must acknowledge before I am able to proceed with the review. You are able to see what changed for the most part in RED which can and is in many cases a false sense of security.
  • Aircraft changed from originally booked B738 with 16 First Class seats to an A320 with only 12 First Class seats.

The last bullet item is where I screwed up as I should have gone to a new reservation and looked at what changed before accepting the changes.   Lesson learned and it will not happen again that I miss that step when finding a reservation has changed. 

My first thought was they cancelled the first flight of the day and now this 11:45 AM flight is the first and/or maybe the only flight of the day.  Since I upgraded using miles and the only person of the six traveling together that had upgraded I got bumped from the 8:45 AM flight to the next and last flight of the day leaving at 11:45 AM.  This flight gets me into PVR (presuming it is not cancelled) not with the rest of our golf team for a practice round that afternoon for a tournament that starts the following day, I don't land until 2:20 PM and will miss the days events.  Day one RUNIED and if I wanted to change back to the 8:45 AM flight I would have to pay a change fee of $200 since no seats in First Class available sit in EconPlus, ahhh but they will refund my 25,000 miles just not entertain waiving the change fee. Customer service yes indeed, NOT!!!!

These tickets were purchased in July 2015 for a trip next month.

Next UA event this past week:

• Original reservation IAH-LAX-MRY round trip ticket purchased in First Class as the ticket was less than $240 more than Economy.
  • Return leg MRY-LAX-IAH schedule to leave MRY at 10:15 AM with a 1+15 connect time in LAX.
  • Random review of my flights in my account I come upon a flight change that I must acknowledge before I am able to proceed with the review. You are able to see what changed for the most part in RED which can and is in many cases a false sense of security.
  • Departure time in MRY changed to 11:17 AM giving a 31 minute connection AND a change in Terminal at LAX.

Rather than accept the change I started looking around on their website and found at least one benefit of this change is the aircraft from LAX-IAH changed from a B738 to a B789, yes the new larger Dreamliner.  Downside the note between the two flights even annotates "Ricky Connection", REALLY, do the actually think that is anything less than risky.

Options are:

• Accept the changes and pray everything goes well.
  • To foul up the last day in MRY and fly to LAX that afternoon and then keep the 1 PM Dreamliner flight.
  • Leave MRY in rental cart that we will have to get since we were not going to rent a car and ive to SFO to fly from SFO later that day.
  • Leave MRY on a 6:05 AM flight to LAX and sit for 5+36 hours for our flight and possibly get on Stand-by on an earlier flight.
  • Leave MRY on new 11:17 AM flight and change the flight from LAX to 4:06 PM.
  • Keep looking for other options which are slim.

The idea of staying overnight in LAX and getting an In-N-Out burger by the airport is at this point the best option.

Anything from SFO is a huge jump in airfare and not appealing. 

Renting a car and driving to SFO, still have to deal with the change in airfare.

Early morning flight from MRY is just not what we want to do let alone sit at LAX in the United Club for hours checking in with different gates to see if we get on from Stand-by.

Changing to the 4:06 PM LAX-IAH flight puts us on a B739 and long layover in LAX, not preferred either.

Come on United, I understand schedule changes are necessary from time to time, but waive any and all change fees in order to accommodate a customer that you by the mere schedule change have completely inconvenienced. I am not actually upset about paying a higher airfare OTHER than the fact it is not what our original was and wanted to avoid SFO completely.  United reservation agents should be given the power to override these type of things similar to what Continental folks could do when circumstances put a traveler in this type of situation.

Moral of the story, check, recheck and continue to do that until your day of departure.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: United Schedule Changes
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I sometimes don't a enough attention when I get one of those emails

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Email, United DOESN'T email changes you have to stumble upon them as I do.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It's not just UA. DL did it to me on my trip to Hawaii which was booked through AS using miles. The change had my connecting flight in PDX leaving 10 minutes before I arrived. Luckily AS was willing to work with me and got me home a few hours later than scheduled (still on DL) after a 3 hour layover in PDX.

I've also got a schedule change for a trip to MCO in January (DL again). It's a nonstop, but the time got pushed back 2 hours and the flight number changed (though the aircraft is still a CRJ9). My only option is to stick with the change or try to switch to a 1-stop (thru ATL or RDU) which would nearly double my travel time. Right now I'm sticking with the nonstop even though it puts me in town later than I had intended. Maybe I'll luck out and they'll change time again, this time in my favor. Yeah, right.

It's frustrating to have schedule changes so frequently. We have to search hard to find the flights we want based on schedule/connections/price. Then the airlines just switch things around without any regard for how it affects everything else.

Oh, and no word from DL on the schedule change. Discovered it on my own when I was completing car rental arrangements. Go figure.

I'm sure it isn't just UA, but that is what I found using UA.....let us all keep posting these travel woes in order to keep others from waiting too long to find out of a change and then get hosed.

superchief1 Platinum

DL has also recently implemented a change in booking Economy Plus (now C+). Previously, I could book a seat in economy (paid or with miles), and would be able to pay a little more to confirm in C+. As a Silver, I could also upgrade to C+ if available 24 hr prior to flight. Gold and higher can confirm upgrades at earlier times. I typically would use my Amex annual $200 credit to pay for these upgrades.

Now Delta considers C+ to be a different booking class. Therefore, it has to be booked in C+ with the original ticket purchase (at a higher fare and mile requirement). If I book an award ticket in coach, it can no longer be upgraded even to C+. I also can no longer pay for the upgrade and receive credit using my Amex. This is a major downgrade to the Delta program and will definitely impact my future business with them.

Note: They also changed some of my recent reservations because of slight schedule changes. In each case, they deleted my emergency exit reserved seats and assigned me seats in the back. I was able to change my seats back, but I expect them to do it again prior to my travel date.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Recently had American send me one of those emails, and thank goodness I paid attention.  I usually book flights with a minimum of ~1.5 hour layover, since it gives us time to eat and/or not be worried by a slight delay (which happens all too often).  They'd reduced the time between flights to 40 minutes!

I called and requested they reschedule us to a more reasonable layover and not charge a change fee.  The agent was very patient and handled it well.

Remember that any changes they make on their end is for their purposes.  Customer's are merely baggage.

Sort of like booking an Enterprise rental car recently.  Had an emergency so called and booked one, telling them what time I'd be there.  When I got there (about 2 hours later) they not only didn't have a car, but had a line of people who weren't likely to get a car.

However, again, the agent treated me well.  Actually had one of his folks transport me to an airport location that had cars, and when I got there the reservation had been changed over to that location.

Good customer service is out there.  It's just unfortunate how much of an outlier it seems to be.  By the same token, I believe customers often set themselves up for poor customer service, based on how they deal with the agents.

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thanks for taking the time to share this with the community, @IAHFLYR. I've been fortunate to never have an issue with schedule changes, but this is a great reminder that I know I will keep in mind when traveling in the future.

fistuk Platinum

I had a very strange and annoying issue with them a few weeks ago:

I've booked my flights for this December 6 months ago, including paying an extra fee for economy plus seats and selecting the seats I want at that time. Naturally, when all done those seats are mine permanently, unless I change them.

As you indicated as well, just by randomly reviewing my UA account a few weeks ago, I was horrified to suddenly find out that I've lost my selected seats! Fortunately for me, the seats weren't selected yet by anyone else so I could reassign myself & my wife to them, but what if not???

UA customer service agent couldn't tell me what would have happened in that case, the only thing he did is apologize and explain that it might have happened due to a minor change in the flights.

Very very annoying!

Extremely annoying is right.  About the only thing you can do is print out your receipt showing the seats you selected, but if they are gone and not available when you review your reservation always call CS immediately and let them know you have your receipt showing your original seats. They will at times argue that they cannot see what seats you had and in most cases probably won't care, but they are able to look back at a reservation.  But still it's worth the effort particularly if you want to be seated in a certain area or row.

Platinum 28 Reviews

Good Morning IAH,

Been having a problem (twice last month) on seats disappearing due to changes in equipment - seems to be chronic with UA now - the problem is not finding out until arrival at airport.

Morning my friend, read this and then get back to your cleaning up from yesterday!

Avoid that problem by checking your reservation and seats often.  Those changes in equipment no matter how small has a tendency to mess things up and is something that needs to be brought to the attention of UA.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Last time I flew United and connected in IAH.  It took 5 planes to get me home over 2 hours late and the computer would not allow me to select Economy Plus seats without a charge 24 hours before my flights due to my Silver status.

I also had schedule changed with AA however, since one was over 3 hours, they offered to refund my money or give me any flights that I wanted without charge.  I elected to change airports.  I have another flight that had a schedule change and they turned it over to some other desk to see if they would a different flight to shorten the new 6 hour connect time.  Originally I had 4.

What, you fly though IAH and don't tell me ahead of time?

After talking with my travel buddy going along on the MRY trip, we have decided to accept the change and "Risky Connection" and take our chance even though I'm still holding out for some other change before I actually it that change icon.  We will only have carry-on gate checked at MRY and if we are able to talk the gate agent into putting the "Priority" tag on a gate check bag we might actually get it off on to the jet way first so we can dash to the other flight.  If we miss connect then we will deal with it in the UA Club and politely demand they bring back Continental!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...