6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2015 11:08 AM by carat RSS

Newbie looking for end of year status advice

furrever Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I currently have 40 nights all earned in 2015 (i.e. no rollover nights), with 6 more nights booked in December for a total of 46. I will likely stay between 50 and 60 nights in 2016. I can't predict what my travel habits will be in 2017. Should I book 4 more nights this year to reach Gold? Or take the 36 rollover nights into 2016 to get to platinum sooner in 2016? If I open a Marriott Rewards CC to get the 15 bonus nights, should I do that this year or next?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Newbie looking for end of year status advice
    phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If you can, I'd get those four extra nights somehow.  If you stay in FS Marriotts and Renaissance Hotels, there will be free breakfasts, lounge access, free water and extra points over  the Silver Status that you now have.  Upgrades are nice but if I had to choose one or the other, the CL is the best benefit that one gets with Gold or Platinum.   The rollover points would get you to Gold faster, next year, and would also get you Platinum status faster, as you say.  Remember, Platinum status is not as big an advantage over Gold as Gold is over Silver.

If you get  a Marriott Rewards Visa, you'll be at or close to Platinum by the end of next year. regardless.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I Disagree, I'd just do the nights planned And rollover the 37. Apply for the Marriott credit card over the Christmas holidays and when the nights credit in early January you'll be Gold and at 52 nights pretty close to Plat, which when you get will then last to Feb 2018.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight here!  I also see that you are new around here, furrever.  Welcome to the Insiders Community!  This is a great place to discuss all things travel.  From getting the most out of the Rewards Program to sharing your recommendations and experiences, we cover it all.  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators here along with deannad and lindseyh.  If you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of us, we're here to help.    I've included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look. 

Getting Started Guide

Again, welcome.  Looking forward to hearing more from you!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...