24 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2015 12:27 PM by ne_traveling_man RSS

Any idea why the Marriott Rewards Credit Card is hella- thick?

keplertracker Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just curious - does anyone know why the physical card is thicker than the average card?   Also, when I use it to swipe, the card works only when you swipe really fast.   An ordinary swipe results in a misread of the mag stripe.   Anyone also encounter this strange issue when using the MR CC?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Any idea why the Marriott Rewards Credit Card is hella- thick?
    snyper175 Gold 1 Reviews

I don't know why but is sure gets a lot of double takes and compliments.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

keplertracker, the card is really thick because it's made out of metal.  When you place the card between your fingers and hit it with your other hand, it gives off a metallic ring, similar to what would happen with a saw. 

As bejacob mentioned, this is probably to make the card seem more prestigious, especially combined with the black color.  The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card, from what I hear, is slightly heavier than the Marriott Rewards Visa and the similar Chase Sapphire Preferred. 

As a side note, the Amex Centurion card is black and made out of solid titanium, while the JP Morgan Palladium Card is made out of precious metals. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

SORRY EVERYONE -

Somebody has to comment on this subject,

(might as well be someone that is expected to create controversy)   (this is certainly going to get me into trouble and lose some friends)

The subject matter of this posting, in my opinion, is ridiculous!  It really stretches the envelope in creating place to earn credits!    IN MY OPINION.!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Okay, I'll bite. I've had any number of merchants comment on the weight of the card.

I think it is a reasonable question to ask. It's related to Marriott. It's related to Marriott Rewards. Many Insiders carry the card and frequently post about its usefulness. If someone is curious about  the unusual nature of the card, where better to ask than a forum filled with said card users?

And to be fair, we've had more ridiculous posts in the past. I offer my own post Insiders with Outrageous Shirts as one such example.

keplertracker posed a question out of curiosity. I, for one, have no problem with that, just as I have no problem with misterchk thinking the subject is ridiculous. To each his own.

Platinum 28 Reviews

(I hope you are all having as much fun today (watching football with one eye and being obnoxious on the site) as I am.

My dear bejacob did you go to my wife's class on how to treat misterchk - Like my wife, one day you agree with me and the next you don't. 

Anyway as to this ridiculous discussion and the ridiculous question ( remember - "my opinion") I will take it seriously for a second if you all will let me expand the question:

" IS THE SKY BLUE" - "IF IT IS, WHY"

"WHY IS THE WEATHER IN CALIFORNIA BETTER THAN NORTH DAKOTA"

"WHY ARE THERE ONLY TWO WAFFLE IRONS AT THE LOCAL RI WHEN THEY NEED TEN"

Another approach is to answer the question:

THE REASON THE CC IS METAL:  MOST OF US MIGHT HAVE EXPERIENCED SOME MARRIOTT PROPERTIES IN "SEEDY AREAS" - MARRIOTT REQUESTED CHASE TO ISSUE THE CARDS IN A METAL VERSION TO THEY CAN DOUBLE AS A WEAPON WHEN FOUND IN THESE "LESS THAN DESIRABLE" AREAS.  (if anyone reading this actually thinks this is true I have a bridge I can sell you in NY)

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree with kharada. If you look closely at the top edge you can see it's metal with a plastic veneer.

And I have to respond to this thread because I'm only 5 credits ahead of you. :-)

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Its metal core like Sapphire preferred. Gets some attention but after a while it gets annoying

jerryah Platinum

When it expires DON'T put it in a credit card shredder - it won't shred because it is metal.  Chase should send you an envelope so you can mail it to them to destroy.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

I like having the thick (metal) more durable Marriott credit card since it's my primary go to card for everything until I reach Lifetime Status.  As kharada46 mentioned the Ritz card is slightly thicker than the Marriott card.

Jsucool76 Gold

The marriott premier card (and the united club card, and chase sapphire preferred) are what as known as "metal core cards" as previously mentioned. It is a thin piece of metal sandwiched between two pieces of plastic. That is why it still "Feels" plasticy but is a tad bit heavier.

The JP Morgan Palladium and Ritz Carlton cards are a solid piece of metal, which is why they'll often be hot or cold to the touch, and if you drop them will make a noticeable "clang" noise.

The metal core cards can be cut with a nice pair of shears, though the solid metal cards are a bit tougher. To dispose of them, call chase and they will send you a special envelope to return your cards in. =]

Is having a metal card necessary? No. But as a millenial I was mildly intruiged with it when i first got my ritz card, now it has become a bit of an annoyance when I go to restaurants and stuff.

nmballoonist Platinum

I have also had a lot of comments on the weight of the card. I have encountered one downside. Just returned from Atlanta and when using the card at self pay parking at Atlantic Station meters and at a Ponce City Marketplace kiosk, you really have to force the card into the readers and tug it out since the slots seemed to be sized from normal thickness cards. Had to do two or three times to get a read of the card because it grabs during he process and you don't get a smooth swipe which causes a misread.

Jsucool76 Gold

I never had any trouble with my marriott or ritz card with any swipers, but some other people have reported issues. You can request a standard plastic ritz card from Chase, not sure about the marriott card (but I'm sure you can).

nmballoonist Platinum

I will keep my metal card since the issues are not so much to be a big issue.

homoviator Platinum

I've had problems swiping sometimes as well.  I'd like to have just this in my wallet, but since it isn't reliable, I carry another backup.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

If it doesn't swipe properly, the merchant can still enter the information manually. (At least in theory - some aren't that happy about it, but heck, my feeling is, do it or lose the sale!)

Jsucool76 Gold

The merchant fee for card not present transactions (where the number is keyed in, or not swiped) are usually higher than swipe fees which is why a lot of merchants don't like to do it. Then you have merchants that pretty much rely on those (online retailers, delivery restaurants and stuff like that)

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Jsucool76 is correct about the merchant fee. On the other hand, if a merchant gets a customer with the black Marriott Premier card, I know, from having merchants comment to me, that they love it because they feel as if those people have more disposable income. When merchants tell me that, while I don't say it, my thought is, "Well, I must be the exception that proves the rule!"

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

Yes, I often thought of why too and I have always gotten remarks on it.  It is nice to have someone ask a question that you always wanted an answer to.  Thanks for posting it.

maddashin Gold 1 Reviews

No problems with mine ever.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

At 5 points per $ and a free Cat5 night (there's some decent cat5s around still) I'm not bothered what's in the card, I just want the opportunity to have one, full metal jacket, or otherwise!

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

It's because if it is thick there will be less room in your wallet to carry other credit cards!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...