5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2009 5:01 PM by lesliepamel RSS

Marriott Resort Access For Timeshare Guests

superchief1 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am concerned that Marriott may be trying to drop access priveleges for resort facility usage to the guests at adjacent timeshares. It appears that the long-term agreement for Desert Villas I guests to use the Palm Desert resort facilities is not being renewed. I noticed that my Royal Palms fees went up substantially to build a new fitness facility, which could indicate we will lose our ability to use the nice spa/fitness facility at the Marriott World Center. In recent years, it Marriott has implemented several new policies that have significantly alienated its timeshare owners. I hope they realize that eliminating resort access will be the nail in the coffin for many long-term MVC owners like myself. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Resort Access For Timeshare Guests
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Superchief:

Have you verified this with Owner Services at MVCI?  I'd check with them and see if this is an oversight or a purposeful change of benefits.

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Superchief

You raise an excellent point.  While the timeshare business is separate from the lodging business, I think decisions should support and optimize the overall owner/guest experience.  

With that in mind at Royal Palms, the recreation license agreement with the Orlando World Center was renewed in 2004/2005 for 20 years. (It was published in a resort newsletter.)  The decision to build a new Fitness Center appears rooted in recent GSS feedback: Owners want a Fitness Center close by.

Recalling discussion with other owners during our July 2009 stay at DSV I & DSV II, I think the non-renewal means that DSV-I owners would enjoy access to the spa, health club and other amenities at the JW Desert Springs on par with rates/privileges as DSV-II and Jasmin owners.

We're around the corner from week 52 at Marriott's Custom House in Boston.  Owners/guests have access privileges to the indoor pool and health club at Marriott's Long Wharf Hotel nearby.  Be assured this topic will come up.  Stay tuned.

Best wishes for a Joyous and Happy Holiday Season!

superchief1 Platinum

TJC and Steppingstones,

Thanks for your responses and suggestions. I have sent an email to MVC requesting information regarding this situation, but have not received a reply. I am happy to learn that the facility use agreement was renewed fro 20 years in 2004, although I do not recall having received a newsletter with this information. I purchased Royal Palms when it first opened due to the use of the resort facilities and the 110,000 points. The points aren't worth much any more, but resort access provides reassurance that my investment will hold some of its value and I enjoy using the pool and spa.

I never received anything from Royal Palms regarding plans to build a new fitness center, and I would rather walk to the spa (which is good exercise) at the resort than pay a lot for an onsite facilitiy. I wish the association would poll members prior to spending our money.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Superchief

Consider directing your comments/questions to the association.  The e-mail may be found at My-VacationClub.com, Royal Palms resort page. Click the Owner tab. MVCI Owner login is required.

lesliepamel Platinum

Hey, I had not heard of that one. The J.W. Marriott Ihilani at KoOlina Hi practised this over at least the last 8years. (Well they did in 2001 and 2007.) However the hotel pool is small and gets crowded easily. Some T/S guests told me that the rule is not enforced early AM or late PM.

I can't say that I witnessed the same at Palm Desert this year when I visited DS1.

Sales at the Lakeshore reserve is January this year positively tried to sell time on the attraction of being able to use all the facilities of the on-site Grand Lakes JW and RC hotels

I am truly fed up with Marriott following the points fiasco for TS owners (complete devaluation of the vacation experience.) Marriott Vacation Club is pretty well and truly 'dead' for me already - it cannot provide the vacation experience they promised - So if they say that TS guests are not welcome at the resort hotels that'll be me finished. Sell out - take a financial loss- and be rid of a probably the most rotten timeshare/company ever.

Don't these guys track owner spending at the hotels?

They once said that a large percenatge of their TS prospects came from  owners. I never recommend anyone any longer. Will they be left with empty or unprofitable TS stock on their hands? If so it is completely their own mean fault.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...