24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2015 2:39 PM by homoviator RSS

Besides Marriott Rewards, Which Travel Loyalty Programs Do You Use?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Most of us are members of multiple travel loyalty programs. Other than Marriott Rewards, which ones do you like and use?

I'm a member of two FF programs

Alaska (which I often use to earn miles on AA and DL) - no status (don't fly enough currently)

United - Silver status (courtesy MR Platinum reciprocal program)

I also have one car rental program

Hertz - Five Star status (thanks to my United silver)

As most of my travel is leisure, I earn my points on my own dime, meaning earning status isn't easy. That also means I don't travel enough to make use of more than one hotel program.

I know there are folks out there with many loyalty programs across the travel spectrum.

Which ones do you have?

• Re: Besides Marriott Rewards, Which Travel Loyalty Programs Do You Use?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

AIrlines primarily american and southwest, car I have ( from prior work ) top status with bother Hertz and Avis and hotels really only Marroitt

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

MR platinum - most used

Hyatt platinum

SPG

HH

Loews

iPrefer

Fairmont Presidents Club

Wyndham Trip Rewards

Alamo - most used

Hertz Gold Plus

Budget Fastbreak

Enterprise

Delta SkyMiles Silver - most used

United MileagePlus Silver - often used

American AAdvantage - often used

El Al

Air New Zealand

Qantas

Frontier

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

curiousone Platinum

MR Plat (Status for last 3 years due to MVCI purchase. It looks like I will renew in 2016 due to credit card purchases.)

SPG Gold (Status from Starwood timeshare purchase. It will be interesting to what happens with the merger.)

Hilton Gold (Status from Hilton Reserve Visa card) Use Hilton when a Marriott is not available.

With the merger of Marriott and Starwood it looks like it will just be Marriott and Hilton next year.

No airline status, but I do have a Companion pass for my wife on SWA. (Thank you Marriott Travel Package)

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Hotels: Aside from Marriott (Life Platinum) , Hyatt- Platinum, Starwood - Gold, Hilton-Gold, Best Western - Silver

Airlines: American Air Exec Platinum (despite Marriott program with UA silver is a joke and I don't fly Underwater Airlines)

Rental Car: Hertz - Presidents Circle

I think that rounds it out

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Marriott

Alaska Airlines

American Airlines

Air France and Qantas (both of which have never amounted to anything, but I still keep active).

Amtrak

Lufthansa and Delta have gone by the wayside, as my travel patterns have evolved, though both offer decent enough products.  I have not had good luck with car rentals, period, so no loyalty programs with them.  For non-Marriotts, I use booking.com.  No loyalty, just great properties and prices.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

United silver member for air Travel and hertz gold plus for car hire and just  enrolled in Hilton honours as Marriott dont  serve some of the areas in scotland I travel .

justincfreem Platinum

Marriot is the go to hotel,  with a back up of IHG for those very very rare times of not being able to find a Marriott property.

United is my primary air provider due to the partnership with Marriot and the silver status I was granted.  I have a back up on Delta, but no real status so United is the way I go.

National for rental cars -  exec status is just too good to pass up and to easy.

I earn all of the perks via my business travel and it sure is nice to use them for personal time off. 

wottravel Member

Hilton (Diamond Member)

IHG (Gold Level)

Fairmont Presidents Club

SPG (Basic level)

Marriott Rewards (Basic level due to lack of properties in the UK, where I need to stay)

British Airways (Bronze level)

Virgin Atlantic (Red level)

KLM/Air France (Ivory)

Avis (Basic level)

Enterprise (Basic level)

jt15550 Platinum

I have United for international travel (w CC), Southwest for domestic travel (w CC), and SIXT take care of 98% of my travel needs.  Also in Lufthansa and Aeroplan, more accidentally than anything else.  I really need to pick either Hertz or AVIS for a secondary rental car company, but it hasn't been an issue for me so far.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Hmmm, a bit of pre-Christmas homework, eh bejacob

Up until 2013 we in the UK had a choice between 2 programs that offered pretty good coverage and In-Stay benefits, Hilton and Marriott. Both had about 70 hotels nationwide and 40 nights loyalty (both card and stays) attained worthwhile points, room upgrades, lounge access and free breakfast.

I did originally try Hilton but alas in the UK the group has a sad history with 2 seperate franchises using the name, HILTON HOTELS and HILTON NATIONAL. The hotels one was pretty upmarket, mainly in London. The Nationals were tired, shabby, overpriced and run down. Points, breakfasts, whatever, I just didn't want to spend 40 nights a year in them. So I looked at Marriott, and never looked back. Here in the UK we have only 2 Courtyards, all the rest are full service hotels.

Of course in 2013 Blackstone trashed the HHonors scheme, so now there's really only one group offering the mix of points and in-stay bennies, and that's Marriott!

However, with 70 hotels nationwide, Marriott isn't everywhere, but there is another group with a pretty worthwhile points-only scheme and that's IHG. It has almost as many hotels in the Greater London area than Marriott has nationwide, so it's always close to where I need to be. Hence its my secondary hotel scheme, and it does me well, its points provided free stays for a total of about 30 room-nights at 4 of my Family-Road-trip-of-a-lifetime-with-teenagers stops!

AS far as airlines go, here in Northern England we don't see much of British Airways, which incidentally should be renamed more honestly as London-And-Don't-Give-a-****-about-Northern-Oiks-Airways. Virgin offers a few flights from Manchester but I'm pleased to say Ryanair, Jet2 and Easyjet loves us up here and flies us all around Europe for a pittance. Ive flown to Paris for £2, Dublin £5, Brussels £10, Amsterdam £20, Prague £20, Copenhagen £30, Barcelona £30, Budapest £30, Wroclaw £40, Venice £40, Athens £40, Vilnius £40, Monaco £50 and Moscow for £70... All return fares including taxes!! At these prices there aren't any miles schemes, but at their prices I don't care! I love my bargain airfares and have been lucky to have really flexible working arrangememts to allow me to take advantage of them.

Even so, as all regular readers here know, I'm a self confessed pointslut, so I am a member of Virgin Atlantics scheme. It's not a great scheme per-se but when coupled with its spend £10,000 and get 2 free return upgrade certs AMEX which also earns double miles on spending it makes real sense. We barely fly with them, but by transferring £255 of Tesco Clubcard points and 120,000 Marriott travel package points we have enough miles with our spending on the AMEX for a 2 first class returns to Miami and 2 premium returns to Vegas! Total value about £10,000! And yes, Jsucool76 it was you who made me look more carefully at my cards after seeing you post about so many tips and tricks, so I owe you a big thanks for motivating me there. Yes folks, millenials are good for something, besides desk-dodging and expensive coffee-quaffing!

So, to summarise.... Yes, IHG Hotels and Vigin Atlantic!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

HOTELS

Marriott Lifetime Platinum and primary choice for hotels

Hilton Honors Gold (AMEX Partnership)

AIRLINES

United Lifetime Gold until I reach 2 million lifetime miles then Platinum for life (wife same status due to my million miles and lifetime status) then she also will get higher Premier level when I achieve it.

CAR RENTAL

Avis First and primary choice for car rentals

Hertz Gold Plus

bejacob what is this Hertz Five Star through United?  Never heard of that, actually never looked for it either.

Message was edited by: IAHFLYR

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Five star is one step up from Gold Plus. Normally it would require renting 7-19 times within a 12-month period.

Here's a screenshot from the Hertz Partnership FAQs | United Airlines

hertz.PNG

Five Star Status doesn't covey much. A one-class upgrade, 10% bonus on Hertz points, no fee for an additional driver, and a few other meaningless add-ons. Not much really. It sounds a lot cooler than it is.

Funny thing is that I got it because of being UA Silver and I only got that because of being MR Platinum.

If a status grants b status, and b status grants c status, then a status grants c status. It's the transitive property of loyalty programs.

Message was edited by: bejacob

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Well the main is Marriott, i made an account with fairmont years ago but only stayed once. I have Best western which is ok, mainly use it for roadtrips since some are very decent, well priced and include a small breakfast. I have Hertz gold just because i opt in for marriott points plus marriott sometimes has bonus points with them.  For airlines i only have Southwest.

Jsucool76 Gold

I'm marriott gold, which is where almost all of my hotel stays are. Courtesy of the amex platinum, I have SPG gold status (for now) and recently received hilton gold status from them. I'm currently working on getting matched to Hyatt Diamond (if they'll work with me), and I have best western diamond status, just cause I was bored one day and sent them an email. Haven't ever actually stayed in a best western oddly enough.

My next program to get invested in will be fairmont. I plan on getting their credit card from chase for the 2 free night signup bonus. Pretty good value.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Marriott Lifetime Platinum

United 1k

Hertz Presidents Circle or something. I rarely rent a car and it's a freebie from UA.

Hilton Honors Gold (they have left me at Gold even though I have an average of 1 stay every 3 years)

Does my Sizzler card or my loyalty card at a Thai grocery store count?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

United Air Lines and IHG, but make relatively sparse use of these programs.  I don't fly more than one (or occasionally two trips) per year.  I used to stay at a Holiday Inn Express in Rehoboth Beach, DE but it has gone downhill and a rather nice  FFI has opened there.    I'll take a Holiday Inn Express, on the road when there is no convenient Marriott property.  Nevertheless, these two clubs represent a fraction of my travel activity.

Ny comparison, we are Platinum with Marriott!

superchief1 Platinum

I've lived in many places and most didn't have an airline hub, so I belong to several programs.

Hotels

Marriott Lifetime Platinum: Primarily FS, SHS and Ren; Most pleasure travel at MVC resorts (own 5)

Hilton Gold (Amex): Hilton Garden Inn over Courtyard, Homewood Suites over RI (due to recent food downgrades)

Starwood Gold (Amex): Seldom use, occasional Westin or Sheraton, don't like Aloft

Hyatt: previously used for International properties

IHG : Seldom use

Airlines

Delta Lifetime Silver : preferred

Southwest: Frequently use

American (with Citi card) Occasional

United Silver (with Marriott) : Seldom

Frontier (Midwest) : Never use any more, they lost all my miles and have no customer service

Amtrak : Use primarily for long distance award travel (from old CO miles and Ultimate Reward credit card)

Rental Car

Budget (our corporate) : Don't really like but have no choice

Hertz Gold : Occasional personal travel, but rates often too high

Avis, Alamo, Enterprise : Primarily through Costco rentals

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Air:

AA - Wife is Gold

UA - No status but have CC

DL - Have a few miles remaining

AS - Rarely use as options are slim from East Coast

Hotels:

Hilton - No stays or status but have acct

SPG - Wife is Gold

Hyatt - No stays or status but have acct

Rental Car:

Enterprise - Company code almost always gives me a great rate

Budget - Company code often gives me good rates

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Good question bejacob!

Hotels:

Marriott: Currently Platinum & Lifetime Gold-  My #1 pick for hotels.  Should make Lifetime Plat in about 2 yrs

Starwood:  No Status- My number 2 choice. Point Values are high and Good Promotions.

Hyatt:  No Status- My number 3 choice

Hilton:  No Status- My number 4 choice as their points are the least valuable

Airlines:

Southwest:  Companion Pass Status through Dec 2016

United:  Silver Status Thanks to Marriott, also United Card Holder which gives 2 Lounge passes per year

Jetblue:   No status but love flying this airline, Family Points Pooling is awesome. Unfortunately their route map is very limited

Delta:  No status but currently have Delta Plat Amex which gives free bags and one companion pass per year.

Rental Cars:

Currently have 5 Star Status with Hertz through United Silver Status but rarely use Hertz as their prices are much higher than their competitors.  Also Thrifty Blue Member which is usually good.  I have found myself using Uber more in my travel which in many cases has been less expensive than renting a car especially for shorter trips.

I'm heading out to LA in March for a few days before departing LAX for Australia.  When in LA I'll have the opportunity to try the new "Silver Car" Rental Service which only rents Silver Audis with all the bells and whistles at no extra cost.

https://www.silvercar.com

kurtzie Platinum

Hotels:

Marriott - Gold, but will be platinum in a few weeks. Marriott is my #1 pick for hotels

Hilton - Silver, and my #2 choice

Starwood - no status, and #3 choice

IHG - Gold, and my #4 choice. Barely have status, and it's only due to conferences and international travel

Airlines:

American - Platinum. Based in Philly, so AA (was US) basically owns the market

United - I rarely fly them, but have to occasionally. Will have Silver with them thanks to Marriott

Etihad - Gold thanks to status challenge, which gave me great perks for the one flight I had with them this year.

Emirates - Silver thanks to status challenge. Useful for my one flight.

Rental Car:

Hertz - Presidents Circle. I'm their biggest fan, but the only approved rental agency with my company.

homoviator Platinum

Marriott-Platinium fairly easily.  I´d love to see them add a new level with extra benefits.

Delta-Silver, but going platinum probably next year.

Hertz-Gold Pres circle, don´t pay attention too much. I like them and I get great service. Everywhere I´ve been, they have been there too. I´ve always used them with the exception of Costa Rica where I felt like I was getting seriously ripped off. Definitely not Hertz typical service.

a bunch of other ones that I have but don´t really pay much attention to. At some point, I´ll try to roll their points into my main programs.

I really wish Booking.com had a real loyalty program. I´d be double super platinum with them for sure.

I could have been very high with travelocity or someone like that too (I´m thinking the one owned by mircosoft, I think), but they did me wrong with a few reservations that I didn´t get points for.  I ended up at blue when I should have been gold.  If I have to call each time to get my points, I don´t think it´s a program I want to use.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...