21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2015 3:52 PM by brightlybob RSS

How does rollover work - am I better off trying *not* to achieve platinum this year?

schweels Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I am 6 nights away from achieving platinum status this year.  Based on my read of the rollover policy, it sounds like I may be better off trying *not* to achieve platinum status this year.

As I understand it, the number of rollover nights I earn is based on my total number of nights - number of rollover nights from 2014 - number of nights based on current status (50 for gold, 75 for platinum).  I would hate to achieve platinum status in the final month of the year, only to lose the opportunity to rollover more nights without ever getting the benefit of platinum status.  Does that make sense?

All input welcome!  Thank you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How does rollover work - am I better off trying *not* to achieve platinum this year?
    phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I doubt that you ever be better off "not trying to achieve Platinum this year."  If you make Pat you are guaranteed Gold 2017 even if you come up short and you have Plat for all of 2016. 

The rollover nights might make Plat more achievable for  2017 but the only way this would be better would be if you planned to make more use of Plat benefits in 2017.

If you can achieve Platinum, go for it and wait and see what comes in 2016.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How does rollover work - am I better off trying *not* to achieve platinum this year?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It's a tricky question since rollover nights effectively count twice towards lifetime status. That's about the only benefit.

Your formula is correct so if you didn't roll any nights from 2104, you could rollover 19 nights for 2016. In general, reaching platinum is usually your best option as you earn additional points and all the platinum benefits for all of 2016.

Rollover nights don't really do much except give you a head start toward reaching the next level in the new year and adding padding your lifetime nights total a little. Getting to Platinum should be the goal. Think of it this way. Six nights before the end of the year or 56 nights next year (41 if you have the MR credit card). As you can see, waiting will take a lot more traveling to attain Platinum.

I'd try for the 6 nights so you can enjoy Platinum status sooner.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

TThe first question here is does that 69 night total include any rollover nights from 2014? If so you need to deuct them from your rollover calculations, so if you have 10 nights rollover from 2014 in your 2015 total your rollover to 2016 will be 69 nights less 50 for Gold and less 10 for the "expiry" of the 2014 rollover, leaving you with 9 nights to rollover to 2016. In those circumstances do the 6 nights and make Plat which will last till Feb 2017

IF you've got to 69 nights without any rollovers from 2014 then you have a valid point, with Gold secured you could stick at 69 nights, rollover 19 to 2016 and then only need 56 more to get to Plat which you'd then keep till Feb 2018. Whether this is a good idea or not depends on your travel pattern...

Do tell us what you decided to do

jt15550 Platinum

"only to lose the opportunity to rollover more nights without ever getting the benefit of platinum status." 

As brightlybob mentioned, you will become Platinum for the remainder of this year and will remain Platinum for all of 2016, and through Jan of 2017.  Note that you'll also get 25% more elite points for your stays at a Platinum.

In 2017, as a Gold member, you may receive an offer to 'buy-back' your status via points, or you might also be able to do a quick challenge through MR CS to regain Platinum.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Awesome insight here! If you'd like me to take a deeper look or have any additional questions, feel free to reach out.

justincfreem Platinum

I guess I don't totally understand rollover.    I am at 131 nights this year or 112 without credit card and birthday.   Will the 37 above 75 roll over until next year?  Effectively meaning I only need 38 less any credit card related earnings?    If so at this point I am going to cram in as many more stays as I can so I can reach plat early in the year and keep after that lifetime status. 

If that is the way it works I figure I will have about 25 nights of actual stays to keep plantinum through 2017.   Awesome.  

jt15550 Platinum

If you are currently at 131 nights, then next year you will start off with 131 - 75 = 56 nights in the tank, and you will only need 19 for making Platinum in 2016.

Credit card nights count, birthday nights count, and now redeemed reward nights count toward that total.

If you have 131 nights AND none of them were rollover nights from 2014, then you will rollover 56 nights as jt15550 says. If any nights were rolled over from 2014, those will need to be subtracted as well (for example, if you rolled 16 nights, your rollover to 2016 will be 40 nights).

As an example he's how my rollover worked this time last year and what will happen this year.

I began 2014 at Silver with 29 rollover nights. By year end I had 80 nights. So

80 - 75 (needed for Platinum) - 29 rollover from the previous year = -24 (0 or lower = 0 rollover for 2015)

So at the beginning of 2015, I had 0 rollover nights. If all goes as planned, I will end the year at 92 nights.

92 - 75 (needed to retain Platinum) - 0 (rollover from last year) = 17 nights to rollover to 2016

Once the year resets (a week or so after Jan 1). I'll start with 17 nights toward retaining Platinum for another year and my lifetime nights total will jump up 17 as well. When the 15 nights for the CC arrive on my card anniversary in February, both totals will increase again. I'll still need to earn 43 more nights by Dec 2016 to stay Platinum.

Hopefully a concrete example will help others with similar confusion.

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews

Really?  My rollover nights get added again to my lifetime nights balance?  They get counted twice? 

Oops, better not tell the authorities.  They may change it.

jt15550 Platinum

That's been my experience.  You may even receive an offer to "buy back" your Platinum status at the beginning of 2017 for comparatively few points, which can prolong your status.  I had one heavy travel year back in 2006, and I'd never dropped below Gold since - even though I probably only stayed about 15-20 nights per year since.  Of course, having the MR Visas helped with that as well.

drubin333 Platinum 1 Reviews

Interesting. Sounds like an unintentional loophole that they will close. Sadly, once you make lifetime platinum, getting credit for nights becomes meaningless. I got a free night for my birthday, and that got me exactly nothing as a LP.

I don't think there is much concern about the double counting. Except for the Platinums with huge numbers of rollover nights, the bump to the lifetime nights numbers don't amount to that much. Silvers could get at many as 39 (though most would probably rather stay one more night to reach Gold) and Golds could get a max of 24. I imagine the average is 5-15 nights. Getting the 750 nights to reach LTP might be a little easier with rollover nights, but you still need 2 million points. A few extra lifetime nights won't help with that requirement.

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews

Yes, the points are astronomical. But the night count is high to reach lifetime if one doesn't travel for work. Too bad they are not allowing elite night sharing as well as the point sharing.  My mom doesn't travel anymore, so using her night count would help me get Gold Lifetime.  At least the point sharing was a big step!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...