11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2016 1:14 PM by shaunfromcolumbus,ohio RSS

Location recommendation: Germany's one of the best!

fistuk Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Not too long ago I was taking a 2 nights weekend break in Cologne, Germany. It turned out to be a very surprising city:

While it's not considered to be one of the major cities in Germany, it's a 'not discovered yet' jewel located on the Rhine river (west side of the country).

A lot of people come to this city as part of a business trip as the city has an industrial zone attached to it, but it still doesn't say Cologne is not for tourists! Personally, I didn't know what to expect but upon entering the city I was astonished!! What a lovely city!!!

DSC_0149.JPG

DSC_0150.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG

Of course, a short break can't be perfect without having the right type of accommodation, so I trusted my 'Marriott 6th sense' and booked the Cologne Marriott hotel - discovered to be the perfect match for all traveller's needs:

The hotel is located just a 5 minute walk from the central station - very convenient if you take a train from the airport to the city and back. It's location is adjacent to all main areas in the city - all within a walking distance (the old part of the city, the cathedral, the river boardwalk etc'...).

The hotel itself is a very modern one, seems to be quite new, offering its guests spacious modern decorated rooms and all required facilities.

As a platinum member, in addition to getting a room upgrade, I got access to one of the most, discovered to be, attractive executive lounges! It's modernly decorated and offering good quality food (also at evening time) with all types of beverages (including multiple alcoholic drinks), complimentary of course.

BUT it's big advantage is the two balconies attached to it:

These balconies are part of the lounge and have a direct access from within the lounge. Unlike other lounges I've been to, in this one you don't have to exit and go somewhere else if, for example, you'd like a smoke or have some fresh air. For me a big plus to the experience was being able to enjoy my cigar on the balcony after dinner 

Considering the fact that I managed to get all this for just €94/night (using the LNF rate) - no doubt this is value for money!

So... going to Germany sometime soon? Try not to miss this location.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Location recommendation: Germany's one of the best!
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

VVery useful thanks, as I am planning a trip to Germany next year and Cologne was on my shortlist.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Thanks for taking the time to produce the trip report on Cologne. The information provided on the Marriott property and transportation is definitely a plus.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Thanks for sharing your experience and insights.  I have heard good things about Cologne and so appreciate you providing more details.  To date, I have not ever been disappointed by German hospitality and I have to say that the German hospitality at Marriott properties has an edge over others properties, at least in my own experience.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

the cathedral there is very nice. the Rhine was the furthers north in Germany that the Romans settled so the name cologne. We went on the river cruise this summer and went on the river( s) to Budapest.

shaunfromcolumbus,ohio Gold

Do the rooms feel like the ones in America? I always here that even chain hotels take on the standard of the country they are in to a certain degree.

Jsucool76 Gold

This hotel was fantastic .

Everything there seemed just like a Marriott back in the US except for breakfast . They actually serve a full, amazing breakfast and you can eat in either the restaurant or the lounge as a gold/plat.

I have some pictures of my room I can post when I get home from work .

Jsucool76 Gold

Back home from work. Here come the photos of my room. (Executive Suite)

Small table when you walk in

IMG_20150704_133900.jpg

Coffee Station, closet, and safe opposite this table when you walk in

IMG_20150704_133904.jpg

Living room area

IMG_20150704_133852.jpg

Bedroom (Bed, Small Bench In Front)

IMG_20150704_133920.jpg

Bedroom (Small Seating Area)

IMG_20150704_133927.jpg

Bathroom

IMG_20150704_133912.jpg

Didn't get any pictures of the lounge, but it is pretty nice. Great hotel, highly recommended. Plus it was nice to see they had local beer in the lounge (IE: Gaffel Kolsch)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...