21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2015 8:41 AM by keeton RSS

No Printed Receipt = No Room Tip!

infoage1985 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

For the third week in a row I have not received a receipt under the door on check-out day at Marriott properties. Each time I call, the front desk says "oh, we haven't done that for a year."

That is B.S. as I have received the printed receipt under the door every week (I travel 100%) for-e-ver at Marriotts.

So here's the deal. I normally tip $20 to the room attendant folks on check-out day. It doesn't cost me anything because I can expense it.

From this point forward, if I do not receive a printed receipt under my door on check-out day, I won't leave a tip for the room attendant folks.

No receipt, no Room Tip!

And, I will leave a printed note to the Room attendant folks explaining all of this!

I strongly suggest everyone else who travels on business do the same.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: No Printed Receipt = No Room Tip!
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

This seems to punish housekeeping who probably have no control over whether the front desk leaves you a paper folio?  I doubt that housekeeping has any leverage with the front desk, nor does the front desk likely care whether housekeeping gets a tip or not.

Have you tried adjusting your online account so that the folio is automatically emailed to you and/or available online?  I do that and it works pretty well, then I can just email to my assistant for reimbursement from the company rather than futzing around keeping track of paper receipts.

Having said that, $20 is a very generous tip to housekeeping unless you're staying for a long time, so kudos to you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The receipt either under the door or hanging on the outside door knob has been hit or miss for more than a year, mostly miss in my stays. 

I have to agree with clebert, you will be punishing an innocent victim and in my opinion for no reason.  If you're in a full service hotel normally you are able to check your bill on the TV if the issue is knowing what the exact charges are and another way you may think of is to call the Front Desk and ask them to have a receipt waiting for you in 10 minutes when you check-out, simply drop your key at the Front Desk and you get your receipt.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I feel your peevishness, it peeves me too. As IAHFLYR has remarked, a once straightfoward method, receive bill, check it, if ok, file in my expense file (I have it with me at all times) and drop off the key has now become hit or miss. Now I have to mess about at reception, or remember to print it out when I get home. Under the door worked well for me, this does NOT!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hello all, I'd like to take a look into this and I'll definitely let you know what I'm able to find out.

I'd also like to welcome infoage1985 to the Insiders Community.  This is a great place to talk about all things travel and share your experiences and recommendations.  I'm carat and I am one of the moderators here along with lindseyh and deannad.  If you ever have any questions, like above, please feel free to reach out to any of us.  We're here to help.   I've also included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Why would you punish the housekeeping staff for not getting something that is beyond their control.  That is like not tipping your server at dinner because your room was not properly cleaned.

Why not just call the desk and ask them for a bill?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hello again, infoage1985.  I have reached out to our greater team for clarity around this and was able to find out the following.  This isn't a company wide policy, so perhaps it was an individual effort by the hotels.  I also wanted to see if this is perhaps a preference we could note in your account, and what we can do is make sure that you receive an electronic copy of the bill sent to your email after check out. We do suggest that when you check in, you mention to the front desk that you would like a copy of your bill slipped under your door the day of check out.  If you would like, I can take a deeper look into this.  Please send me a private message with the properties at which you've experienced this. Just let me know.

We just left the Hotels In Horizon City Texas | Fairfield Inn El Paso Airport and had a printed receipt under our door when I woke up at 6 AM.

NO bill under the door on checkout yesterday from Marriott Forest of Arden Country Club.

Great hotel and stay though!

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

Ha! Tracking you down!

Bill or no bill I am fed up with chasing incorrect points allocations after stays - one last week in London, corrected after I approach Cork, then another after a stay in Edinburgh - 3000 bonus points not credited. I am spending so much time chasing them. I thin we should get 5000 every time they mess up! It would be good if Carat could pick up these annoying features!

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

Boy you are one tough guy.  Great logic..........punishing someone who has no control. 

ericwynn Platinum

Dude, relax.

After 4,000 nights I have learned the room attendants are my best friends. Tip them, as they are the hardest people working.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

NO soup for you; 1 year!!!!

keeton Platinum

I would be perfectly happy with a .PDF receipt if Marriott would get them to you in a timely manner.  Right now, you don't get the receipt until the points post, which can be up to 2 days later (if all goes well).  At Hi..,er, another hotel chain, an e-mail will be there first thing in the morning with the bill attached.  You can check it, and if there is something amiss you can stop by the front desk, otherwise you are on your way.

For the properties that don't put the bill under the door, I am forced to stop at the front desk to get a printed copy and validate the bill.

To the OP, your punitive actions are misplaced.  A note to the manager or review on Tripadvisor would have a greater effect.

II've found I invariably get a same-day PDF receipt if I checkout via the app. Any other method is hit or miss

keeton Platinum

"Same day" is not good enough.  You should be able to review your charges _before_ you check out to check for errant charges.  The TVs are hit or miss.  If you could review your folio online without having to use the TVs would be great, but Marriott does not offer this.

This is another example where Marriott has gone from a leader to a lagger <sigh>.

Left the beautiful CasaMagna Puerto Vallarta on Saturday morning with a printed receipt that was on the door.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I have the setting to get the bill sent via email/PDF, it used to come like clockwork, but even after re setting it, I don't get the PDF via email any more. And bills under the door, nope, not much in the last year. I then stop at the hotel's FD and ask for the bill so I have it, good thing too since my last stay at the Dusseldorf Renaissance did not post (ended November 27), so its a good thing I stopped at the FD and had a bill so it would have been a loss of many points. As some else said, the e-bills get posted by the other backup chain I use (starts with an H and ends with a TT), but at least they were up front about it, send me many communications about a change in policy, etc. Marriott's IT just wont send me an email with my bill like it used to, so I practice good paperwork and get one on my way out, no iphone checkout for me.

I think this is another change for the Millennials, show that you are saving the planet, one paper sheet at a time. so, with no desks in the revamped Marriott's, new Mlife lounges, failure to adhere to corporate policies, I am going to see how the starwood merger affects the program. I do have a choice in travel and I will exercise it.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Somehow I read your comment about "Mlife lounges" as "Milf lounges" which made me wonder just what the Millenials are actually up to - hehe.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

when I read your comment I got the best laugh of my day, so thanks for that. Guess we know where your brain wanders during the day

Oh MY.....how do these guys come up with this stuff!!! LOL  I just try and focus when I'm in the grocery store on fresh vegetables and fruits.............NOT THE MILF!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...