55 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2015 6:04 AM by kharada46 RSS

32 Years with MRI!  Thanks for all the Memories!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Share any wonderful thoughts and experiences you may have with fellow MRI's!

Having been in the program since 11/20/83, It's fun to share special memories.  Two aspects of the "Ride" really make the experience special!

First is the wonderful fellow MRI's I have been so fortunate to have personally met over the decades. People like:

SG, and Chris in London!

IMG_3241.JPG

zukracer, in London,

IMG_3777.jpg

How about Arkwright, in London as well!

IMG_2206.JPG

These are all "Lovely people" with many travel stories and experiences to share!

Oters "Stand-out" as well!

nuhusker, (May he RIP)

IMG_2653.JPG

He was a wonderful MRI, and really provided a memorable time in Burlington, Iowa, with Sue at The FF!

I don't  want to forget another MRI, "VIP" and that is,

IMG_4118.JPG

bejacob The man who will visit every county in The USA!  He's a most interesting guy, and we love his experiences.

The other part of my celebration is just "Thanking" the hundreds of wonderful Marriott people who have brought such fond memories of so many places  and provided quality travel times to my life!

Thank all of you!  It's been a lot of fun, and hopefully there will be a lot more great times for all of us! Hope to meet many more MRI's!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rome, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
  • Re: 32 Years with MRI!  Thanks for all the Memories!
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Great stuff jerrycoin. I've just been looking back over all the Insider meetings from this past year and plan to put up a similar post soon. Our get together took place more than a year ago, so it does not fall into that timeframe, which makes me glad you included it.

Here's to many more MRI photos like these in the coming year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerrycoin,

Congratulations on a wonderful ride with Marriott and here on Insiders.  You've been a great source of information and an excellent source for tips from "meds" to the best dining spots, special hotels to visit, wonderful people who provide top notch service at each property and yes, cannot forget your love of grilling. 

I have yet to make any Insider gatherings, but hope to in the near future, with 2016 being the near future. 

And thank you for the lovely photos you have shown us of your travels.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

Congratulations, jerrycoin, on your anniversary.  You're the man.  Appreciate your longevity, your knowledgeable posts, and excellent photographs.  Here's to many more years of quality, safe travel with the Marriott Brand.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

jerrycoin Congratulations on a long, glorious association with MRI. Your posts about your experiences and folks you've met -- from other Insiders to celebrities to cosmic explorers -- have enriched us all. Thanks, and "keep on keepin' on."

AZDesertRat Platinum

jerrycoin,

Congratulations on your 32 years.  As a newcomer to MRI, your posts have convinced me I should have joined in long ago.  Thanks for the extra effort you put in to share so many great experiences and acquaintances with us.  Your gracious recognition of Marriott deserving staffers is wonderful.  Here's to 32 more years!!

AZDesertRat,

Thank-you as well!

Have the camera ready for our January visit!  We will have some laughs and I'll introduce you to some wonderful Marriott Staff Members!

I have met so many wonderful employees at Marriott properties.  You feel fortunate you have them help you, because when you have to stay at most other chains, you just don't get the quality of service from most of them!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Absolutely, congratulations on your 32 years, I'll make that in 23 years time, by which time, not being a millenial like some around here, I'll be in my seventies.

heres to your next 32

brightlybob,

Thank-you as well!  Your valuable insights to Great Britain, Canada as well as the US, have been most interesting.  Hope we can get some of The Great Britain contingent of MRI, together in London!  If we just had a chance to relax in The County Hall Lounge, it is very historic!

You would be welcome indeed and I will certainly do my very best to meet any insider coming over to the UK for drinks in the lounge...hic!

brightlybob,

There are so many wonderful places to see and things to do in London, I just hope it will be safe for travelers.  Did you see the hotel business in Paris is off by almost 60% and the dining is off by 40%?

Us travelers need to look forward to a "Peaceful Journey", most of us have enough stress, that we don't need to buy or invite it!

NO, no, no! Don't let the terrorists win.

I Lived through the IRA terrorism campaign of the 1970's and 80's and they were real professionals next to these ISIS medieval morons. Since I was living in London/Birmingham at that time I had no choice to accept the risk. But it's tiny. Literally you have more chance of winning the California State Lottery jackpot AND the next week picking up the British National Lottery than losing your life on a weekend in Paris.

Really its a MICROSCOPIC possibility.

As a matter of fact, having discussed it with our teens, we are all going to Paris for a weekend in the Christmas run up to show solidarity to our French neighbours, whom, though we often rib, we count amongst our greatest allies and friends in the world.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité

I must apologize for omitting two lovely ladies, who are also members of MRI.  Met them in London, and they were so welcomed by the wonderful staff at County Hall!

SANY0361.jpg

That's Teddi, in the middle, and she is one of my favorite Marriott Employee's!  A consummate professional!  She has been a wonderful help to many, many MRI's staying at County Hall!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Your loyalty to Marriott should be appreciated but your contribution to all of us is priceless

jerryl,

Thank-you for the beautiful words!

I do want to share with you I got a wonderful "Thank-you" from Marriott today, thanking me for the 32 years!

BTW, I started when I was 7, and now I am the same age as "Jack Benny"!!

(When I quote "Jack Benny", I know I am in trouble when people have no idea who he was)!

Yep you have to be 39 to know jack benny

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If someone is not old enough to know Jack Benny, then  they don't know "Jack"!

JB was one of the funniest people I ever heard or saw.  I saw him in a night club in 1968 and it was like visiting with an old friend.  The evening was hilarious.

I occasionally listen to the old radio show channel on satellite radio and he still holds up well.  Most of the other radio comedies just aren't funny any more.  I think a good part of his appeal was that he mostly laughed at himself!

phctourist,

Actually JB was a big part of me traveling desire.  When I first saw JB taking a "World Trip" to Rome, I was fascinated.  It was a funny, and wonderful show.  Had never been anywhere, but the scene he did with The Spanish Steps, in Rome, was a classic!

How about "The Man Know One Could Remember"?  Another Classic Radio Show!

Marriott should thank people like JB, for their travel exposure to others.

Your loyalty to Marriott should be appreciated but your contribution to all of us is priceless

Wow   

phctourist,

Wow!  You too started when you were very young!

Likewise, I have had only one "Below standard" experience in all of these years.  However, it was not staff problems, just the room was "Below Normal".  Probably, that hotel is not even a Marriott property anymore!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Congratulations on your 32 year association with the Marriott program.  But even more importantly, thank you for the wonderful insights and advice that you have provided to the Marriott Insiders. You are definitely a class act and an incredibly valuable resource for the visitors to this site.

gm1,

That is a beautiful comment, and "Thank-you" very much!

Hopefully, we will all be able to share more "Travel tip's", as the World of travel changes!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

What a wonderful thread, jerrycoin!  You have really touched on what this forum is all about, bringing like minded travelers together.  Your loyalty does not go unnoticed! We're all very lucky to have you as a contributing member to this forum. 

carat,

Thank-you!

This not only nice of you, but I think it is first time I have got a direct message from Marriott thanking me for my business!

I am returning the favor this week by staying at one of my favorite FF's, Wentzville, Mo, and next week at RI, Branson, MO!

Let the good times roll!

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

A Treasured "Coin" - A short (and not very good, but heartfelt) poem for JerryCoin

He is a treasure of knowledge, wisdom and wit,

With always a kind word or interesting trip.

His insights are valued, unparalleled are his tips,

JerryCoin, MRI and Marriott - as good as it gets

Thanks jerrycoin

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry,

You have graciously given so much to this community and it is so heartwarming to see and read from others just how much you are appreciated, for there is so very much to appreciate indeed!  You have a rare and special way of turning every connection that you make into a treasure and it is wonderful to behold. Many thanks (though I could never thank you enough or repay you in kind) for the many and priceless travel tips, stories and banter that you have shared over the years.  You are one of the best of the best and really know how to make life beautiful.  There has never been a better "decoration" or "amenity" at a Marriott than a jerrycoin (unless it's maybe his Mrs. Coin!)  You enhance an already swell brand   and really are a classy pair.

pluto77,

Those are kind and appreciated comments from your post!

You service to this country, your travel stories, and your family experiences are all exceptional, and wonderful to read about!

You have a much deserved title of "Insider of The Year"!  Hope you just keep contributing!

jerrycoin  Your contributions to this forum have added to my experience.  Pleas keep on sharing your thoughts for another 32 years.

Thank-you phctourist!

This really means a lot to me!  Just hope I can continue to travel and contribute to this wonderful MRI Forum!

MY former company use to give a recognition for a elite group of employees and told the for many their contribution many times was better  than before their award. I had a person that had 50 years and he thought it would be tough to do better the next 50 so jerry c I do hope you share your travel experiences for another  32 but many of us may not be around to read them   

jerryl,

Sad, but true!

Isn't it funny, (or sad), that company awards go this way"

After 10 years a GOLD pin

After 20 years a Silver pin

After 30 + years, a "GOLD PLATED PIN"!

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

One day I fully expect to see a picture of jerrycoin right along with Mr. Marriott in the lobby of hotels worldwide!

IAHFLYR,

I honestly have just missed Mr. Marriott a few times!  Recently in Scottsdale, but there is still hope that someday we will meet!

BTW, last Saturday night I had a wonderful time with The STL Symphony Director, who is also The Sydney, Australian Symphony Director, David Robertson!  He's a class act, and got a nice picture with The Maitre De, Leon Bierbaum at Tony's, in STL!  A wonderful night!

DSCN0596.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

What a great time, at a wonderful place to dine!  Not far from very nice Marriott properties, in STL!

Mrs. Coin and yourself sure do get to meet some interesting folk.

IAHFLYR,

Thank's for the note!  Am "Living it up" this week at The FF in Wentzville, MO!  It's one my favorites and I can get a lot done here, and enjoy this new place at the same time!

BTW, my old Houston favorite has moved!  They told me Saturday night that Tony's in Houston has moved to a new location.  That was always a wonderful place to dine.  Likewise, I think it was "Seven Gables"?  Another wonderful place during the 80's!

We will be getting together in The Woodlands.  My last great meal in Houston was at The Woodlands CC. (I think that's what it was called.  A good friend belongs and we had a great time!  However, they were a little too generous on their "Meds"! 

Sounds like you may have eaten at Spago's if you were at the CC and yes they were famous for their "med" work.   Not sure about Tony's, but quite a bit of places are moving as the city and area continue to grow.

IAHFLYR,

Yes, that was it but I really didn't remember the name of the place! 

Knew it going in, but couldn't remember it when I left!

The manager commented he enjoyed having customers, "Act single, and see double"!  I never want to subject myself  to a notorious place like that again!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry,

I saw him and the Sydney Symphony in Sydney at (where else?) the Opera House.  They were fantastic!  Really entertaining.  How fortunate for you.  Now I must see the STL Symphony!

pluto77,

Thanks for sharing with us!  He's a very nice guy, really racks up the FF Miles!  He works STL in the Summer, and then goes to Sydney for their Summer.  What a life!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Excellent writeup jerrycoin!  Such great experiences you've had over the years as a member of MR! 

Still waiting for our MR meet up!  Hopefully it'll happen in 2016

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Nice post, jerrycoin... 

Here's to 32 more years!!!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Jerry has one more year in the program than me. It's been a while since I posted a page from the original award schedule from the original Honored Guest Award program, so here it is once again. Read it and weep.

HGA_1988.png

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...