5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2015 9:49 AM by misterchk RSS

The Best and the Worst

sctravelers Silver
Currently Being Moderated

A tale of two Marriotts:

The Best:

Organized a family reunion to celebrate uncle's 80th and aunt's 75th birthdays in July 2015. Family came in from NC, CA, etc. We stayed at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott in Farmingdale, Long Island, NY. I can't say enough about the manager Paul Rowe and his staff. They went out of their way to make our 4 night stay incredible. They were about 16 of us staying at the hotel and Paul and his staff were constantly checking in with us to make sure we had everything we needed. Paul Rowe perfectly exemplified the Marriott brand for excellent service.

The Worst:

Last week visited the Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa which is part of their Autograph Collection. Beautiful hotel, beautiful location. However, this was the most dysfunctional hotel I ever stayed at. At checkin I upgraded our room to a lakeview (additional $40). I had reserved a room with two queens. They assigned a room with only a king (I was visiting with my 80 year old mom and my sister) which would work for the 3 of us. Plus, for an additional $40 there wasn't really much of a lake view. They said they would change our room to one with 2 queens but we'd have to wait. They would call my cell when it was ready. No problem - we went to lunch in the little village and were killing time, waiting for the checkin call. Around 3:30, went back to hotel to inquire about room. Oh yes, they said, room has been ready for quite some time. NO CALL.

Room's heater didn't work, was blowing only cold air. They sent someone up to repair. We then went to dinner at hotel's restaurant Bin 189. Food was okay but service horrible. Waited nearly 1 hour for our food to be served. Arrived cold. Sent it back to be heated, waited another 20 mins. What a disaster.

Back to room after dinner. No heat. I'n now tired and frustrated. Seems like all day was consumed with dealing with problems. At 8pm they switched our room to one with heat.

The night desk manager,, Dominique, was very kind and comped our dinner and wine and gave us a voucher for breakfast. That was kind of her. But what I had planned as a nice overnight trip for my sister, mom, and I turned into 24 hours of dealing with one issue after another. Not fun.

As an aside, I don't understand how this hotel earned the Autograph designation. Rooms need updating. Glass window in lounge has a long horizontal crack sealed with tape (tacky), room door had to be slammed to close as lock malfunctioning. No bar in lounge - have to walk into restaurant and order. I'm not a picky person but we had a much better experience at the TownePlaceSuites - go figure.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Best and the Worst
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great write up of your experiences, sctravelers.  One sounds delightful while the other sounds frustrating.  Can you send me a private message with your Rewards Number?  I'd like to pass your experience along to the appropriate team for review. 

I also see that you are new around here. Welcome to Insiders!  As you may have already seen, this is a great forum to talk about all things travel.  From recommendations and experiences to getting the most out of the Reward Program, we cover it all.  I'm carat and along with deannad and lindseyh, we moderate the forum.  If you ever have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to any of us, we're here to help.    I've included a link to our 'Getting Started Guide' just in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

Again, Welcome!  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

sctravelers, I think we should start a thread on "The Best and the Worst."

My all-time best:  upgrade to the exquisite LaSalle Suite at the JW Chicago.  Beautiful hotel, great location, wonderful CL, elegant well-appointed rooms, excellent restaurant, beautiful pool, on-site spa, and personalized service.  I'd live there if they'd let me. 

My all-time worst:  the way the management treated my elderly parents at Minneapolis Marriott West and a disastrous stay there where management made promises that were never kept, left my 90 year old father and 82 year old mother standing in the lobby for hours with nowhere to sit, no room ready even though check in was supposed to be at 3pm, resulting in them being late to a wedding, and when my mom asked if they could maybe have a cup of coffee while they waited, they were told that the restaurant was closed and no complementary coffee was available.  I complained later on and flexed my MR Platinum Elite muscles and was told my the general manager that my parents would get a certificate for a free stay at a later date, but no certificate was ever provided. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

sctravelers

Very Sorry to hear about your experience in Lake Arrowhead.

Sadly this could have been avoided if we did not have the facility to review hotels on this site taken from us.

If we did you would have read about  our stay in advance as we had an identical experience.

sctravelers Silver

Hi,

Wow! Same experience - curious as to what you had to suffer through (if you care to share).

Thanks.

Platinum 28 Reviews

sctravelers  It wasn't a hotel - it was a building that resembled a hotel where the faculty had set up everything that could go wrong to see if the students could correct.

Can't be much clearer than that.

Many letters were sent to management and Marriott to no avail.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...