17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2015 9:14 AM by misterchk RSS

Marriott Acquires Starwood

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This would seem like pretty big news.

http://news.marriott.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Acquires Starwood
    jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

well that was super unexpected, i thought hyatt was the one buying them?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

IT will be interesting to see what this means to the Rewards program.

Far East Man Platinum 1 Reviews

Huge news since I use both brands.

spoiled_traveler Platinum

AS an MR Plat with no Starwood status, I'm pretty happy, especially considering I  stay at Westins a few times a year. Can't wait for a W redemption

cheers,

JG

prius_for_life Silver

The last thing I thought i'd be seeing this morning pop up on my phone (in a notification from CNBC) was that Marriott would buy Starwood. It is going to be quite interesting and overall should be a generally positive move I think. Plus as a bonus it will make Marriott the biggest hotel chain in the world Marriott will soon be dominating the world in the form of the hotel industry Great Success!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Thats not such a good thing, right now marriott hotels seem to be a bit overpriced compared to the other chains, they may raise the rates

prius_for_life Silver

Please elaborate how you feel that they are overpriced...

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Very big news. I really like many of the Westin hotels. Sheraton to a lesser degree but enjoy them as well. I am really curious to see how the MR program handles this.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

If they merge the loyalty programs it will open a lot of new options for us MR people....for instance, French Polynesia which currently has no Marriott properties but has a Le Meridien on Tahiti and a St. Regis on Bora Bora.  It could be a good thing!

suzysharp Platinum

I agree that this could be a boost overall. I've had terrific experiences with Starwood Properties but having no status and being Marriott Platinum has caused me to drive further to stay at a Marriott. Now I wouldn't have to make that choice which could be a bonus. An interesting note those is that someone else purchased Starwood's Vacation Club a couple of weeks ago... Either way I just called and reactivated my Starwood Points on the hopes that they will at least merge in with my Marriott.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

This is great news, assuming that there are no negative consequences for the MR program.

It dramatically increases the options for MR members as we travel to locations with limited Marriott options.

travelagent16 Gold

WOW. I am exited and happy but ive got to say... I did NOT see that coming

crnkotm Platinum 6 Reviews

Yeah! Hotels in Croatia!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I, too, like this.  I just hope that Marriott takes on the nice things that SPG offers their elites.  I feel that when AA and US AIR merged, they took on the worst of each as opposed to the better.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

UA and CO definitely took the worst of both. I am hoping AA and US learned from UA and it will be a better situation for everyone.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I am quite surprised of the lack of response from our community managers on the merger.  The only postings I can find were on non-controversial subjects. (what is your favorite place in Europe etc)  Another possibility is their postings will take our mind off yesterday's events.

You would think Marriott would, at the least, instruct them to talk about the positive aspects of the merger..

superchief1 Platinum

Although my original reaction as a Lifetime Platinum MR member was positive, recent experiences have shown that reducing competition in any industry is not good for the consumer. The airline mergers have demonstrated that only the investment bankers, lawyers, and executives win in large mergers. Shareholders, employees, and customers lose in the long run.

I think brand standards have suffered in recent years due to Marriott's rapid expansion, and expect this will only get worse as more hotel brands are added. Although the merger offers more opportunities for award redemption, it also adds a lot of new members fighting for the few award rooms and upgrades. Having gone through 8 mergers in my career, I am concerned about the long-term impact of this merger.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...