37 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2015 9:34 AM by ks77 RSS

Anthony Bourdain discovers Waffle House

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Chef Sean Brock, who owns restaurants in Charleston, Nashville and Atlanta, introduces Anthony Bourdain to that mainstay of Southern road life and late, late nights, the Waffle House. Despite all his world travels, Bourdain had never experienced the WH. Brock schools him on the delights of "scattered, smothered, covered and chunked,"  as well as mmmmMMMMMmmmm, pecan waffles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bct8stbZafI

pecan waffle.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Anthony Bourdain discovers Waffle House
    psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Saw the clip.  Pretty funny.  Good, simple, comfort food whenever you need it.  And come as you are and who you are.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

When I was an undergrad, my roommates and I did so many late nights at the WH near campus (after a long night of studying ) that the servers presented me with a WH visor on my birthday. I still have it and wear it proudly!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Great clip.

WH is a staple of my county collecting road trips, especially on mornings when I'm out the door of the hotel before 6am. 4:30? 5:00? 5:45?

Doesn't matter. WH is open.

SHS and FF don't start breakfast until 6:30 or 7:00.

So what?

Staying at a CY with no free breakfast?

No problem.

Find the nearest WH. (A 24-hour IHOP will do in a pinch, but it's not the same). Tasty breakfast, served quickly, and cheap to boot. What's not to like?

BTW, Huddle House (in my opinion) is a pale comparison. Just sayin'

Early morning? Late night? "Seriously hammered"? It doesn't matter -- the "warm glow" of the WH always beckons. And the servers are very often quite the characters, especially if you're a regular and they know you. (And I agree 100% regarding WH vs HH.) 

On one visit (Boone NC, I think). The server sang throughout almost my entire visit. He had a pretty good voice too.

Sometimes the patrons can be just as entertaining, if not always for the right reasons. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

My husbands aunt calls it the "Awful" House.

(Seriously, I don't know if she really doesn't like it or is just being snarky with rhymes.  I've never had an opportunity to dine at one.)  What did Bourdain think?

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

You don't dine at one, you eat there. 

pluto77 Bourdain, who's always willing to dive headfirst into local fare, really got into his pecan waffle. Brock says, "You don't come here expecting The French Laundry," to which Bourdain replies, "This is better than The French Laundry." If the link above the waffle photo isn't working for you, you can always go to Youtube and search for "Sean Brock and Anthony Bourdain eat at the Waffle House." The clip's < 3 minutes. And put the WH on your list of "things to do" when you make that journey east and south (and be sure to sit at the counter in order to watch the short-order action). They know grits.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I love the WH.  They are great at what they do and when we are driving through the South, we always have multiple lunches at WH.  Nobody fries potatoes like they do and the waffles are always great.  They do a nice job with eggs and the service is always quick.  What more could you ask for at their prices?

Well said, phctourist! Also, something that many folks are unaware of is the Waffle House's commitment to disaster relief. After Hurricane Katrina, the WH ramped up its disaster preparedness. Many stores are now equipped with portable generators, and the corporation purchased a mobile command center that can be sent to hard-hit areas. They also created a "playbook" to instruct managers how to re-open and conduct business after a disaster -- things like what can be prepared if there's gas but no electricity or how to maintain refrigeration if there's generator-only power. And they often serve countless meals to the disaster relief and power crews working to restore some semblance of order in the community.

Here in North Georgia, the most common disaster tends to be ice storms that knock out power over wide areas, often for days at a time. The Waffle Houses are among the only businesses that manage to stay in continuous operation throughout the ordeal, serving both the public and relief workers hot food, coffee, and a smile.

Thanks, foxglove.  I am You Tube challenged on weekdays, since my office was flooded and we have been "holed" up in the basement bomb shelter/storage room these past 4 months, where there is no cell service/data roaming.

I don't know if I'll ever visit an "Awful" House, now that the Jae Birds Café opened in Wartrace, TN a couple of years ago.  We love this place.  The food and atmosphere is perfect, and the prices will floor you.  Run by a bunch of really cute women who are the epitome of pure southern hospitality and charm and love to sing while they work.  When we left just two days ago, our waitress, who remembered me from last August wouldn't let me leave without a hug.  Awwwwe.  Now isn't that Naaaaice? And swaaayte?  Well, it shore woauz.

Jae Bird Cafe, Wartrace - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

JaeBirdCafeWartraceTN.gif

pluto77 Well, bless yer horrt! Local cafes and diners are hard to beat, but when you're on the road midway between East and West Bumfork, the "WH Ahead" sign can be a welcome sight. (Nahce Suthun di-a-leck, bah the way.)

I'll have to give Waffle House a try someday.  I've noticed that there is another chain "back east" with a similar name, Huddle House.  Any experiences or thoughts on these?

Nooooo! Waffle House is much better. Tried Huddle House once. I see no reason to go back.

'nuf said.

They're sort of a WH wannabe. Both chains were founded in metro-Atlanta, WH in 1955 and HH in 1964. Waffle House has over 5X more locations than HH, 2,100 to ~400. Because we've done a lot of driving all over the Southeast, we've eaten at both. They have similar breakfast menus, but Huddle House seems to be all over the place on their lunch and dinner menu: fried chicken "tenders," fried shrimp (mostly breading), and something brown and fried smothered in white gravy. WH pretty much sticks to what it does best: breakfast fare and burgers 24-7, with a T-Bone, hash browns and eggs as the exotic outer limits. And we've found WH's food prep, cooking and service to be nearly identical across the chain. HH can vary widely, and not all locations are open 24 hours. As bejacob commented earlier, when it's WH vs. HH, the Huddle House pales in comparison.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

bejacob is right, Huddle House doesn't even reach the level of "nothing special". It's like Stewart's drive in here in NJ, it's cr@p.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Thanks for sharing, foxglove! I have never been to a Waffle House, so it was neat watching what Anthony Bourdain had to say about it. 

WH is a highway treasure!  It's comfort food that breaks up a tedious road trip.  Nobody does hash browns like they do, at any price, and they serve them for a rather low price.

Unfortunately for New Englanders, WH seems to be found only below the Mason Dixon line.

carat "I have never been to a Waffle House..."  That constitutes culinary cruelty!

You are missing a treasure.  It's not gourmet but it is good and it is cheap!

I believe you said that you live in CT,  If that is correct, your nearest WH is either Allentown or Scranton, PA, about 150 miles from Hartford.  Sadly, they are not in NY or New England.   BTW the Allentown Renaissance is a great hotel at a very reasonable price with a wonderful in house restaurant!

Platinum 28 Reviews

This subject is very unfair as I am on record as having a waffle addiction and joining waffleholics anonymous!

misterchk I should probably come clean and admit to my addiction as well. And I would be willing to attend WA meetings -- provided they're held at a Waffle House.

Platinum 28 Reviews

foxglove you  should be aware that my addiction is a result of the waffle machines at RI's!!!

Unfortunately the meetings are not held at WH but they do have open bars!

Don't be ashamed!  Eat your waffles and enjoy them.  Remember, you can stop whenever you want.

Truth be told, their waffles are only excellent! I make waffles that are just as good.

Their hash-browns are even better.  U've tried to duplicate their hash browns and I can't come close!

Jsucool76 Gold

I can honestly say, I've never been to a waffle house in my life. There isn't one where I live (boca raton), and there was one nearby when I lived in gainesville, but I could never bring myself to eat there. I've been to Denny's, Perkins, IHOP, Original Pancake House....but never a waffle house.

Jsucool76 Ya just gotta be like Bordain, and take the plunge and immerse yourself in the WH "ambiance."

Waffle House #258  at   4840 POWERLINE ROAD in   FT LAUDERDALE, FL 33309 is only 12.6 miles from Boca.  You have missed a great experience that is nothing like the other restaurants that you list!  This weekend, take a ride and five it a try.  Have a waffle and eggs with hash browns.  Then report back on Monday!

I'm certain that

Platinum 28 Reviews

phctourist I hope you are happy.  Due to your blatant disregard for my addiction you continue to entice me to face my problem more often than I can handle.

I have just gotten off the telephone with my Waffleholics Anonymous sponsor who is on his way over here (as we speak) to transport me to the closed bar where I can get drunk and keep  me away from the closest waffle machine.

I say SHAME ON YOU SIR!!!

misterchk   I truly regret my behavior in this matter.  I stand here shamed!  Please convey my apologies to your sponsor!  Did you ever think about going to the WH for the eggs and hash browns?

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I am not a "fan" of WH but there is one on my way to Pittsburgh in Carlisle, PA. I have been there twice. I have to say, the best two options on the menu are the Hash Browns and obviously the waffles.

Nice location look-up work, phctourist!

Jsucool76 Gold

I'll try when I can. It's actually a bit more than 20 miles from where I actually live.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...