7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2010 6:46 PM by rmt_co RSS

Does Reward Points expire?

skarora007 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I would like to know if the reward points accumulated over a period of time do get expired if I don't stay in a Marriott hotel for some specified amount of time, say, 2 years or more?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Does Reward Points expire?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

In Marriott legal-ese, the term, "expire" is not used at all.  Points are "forfeited" due to lack of activity over a 2 year period.   See paragraph 7 under General Membership heading for Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditons:

"7. An account may be closed at Marriott's discretion if no points are accrued during a 24-month period. All points in the account will be forfeited at that time."

Depending upon your situation, consider redeeming points for a stay in combination with at least one night paid in a 24-month period to keep the account active.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

rmt_co Gold

- Thanks, TJCNewYork, for your response in both this thread and the pointer to this thread you provided in my post seeking clarification of the Marriott's points expiration policy.  It seems clear to me now that Marriot points  don't expire; however, a better question might be "What is required to keep my account active so that my account isn't closed and points forfeited?" 

-

- On the one hand, as you have cited (under General Membership heading for Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditons):
    "7. An account may be closed at Marriott's discretion if no points are accrued during a 24-month period. All points in the account will be forfeited at that time."

-

- This would seem to suggest that points accrued through the use of a Marriott Rewards credit card (or any other means) would be sufficient to keep an account active.

-

- On the other hand, per the FAQ at http://www.marriott.com/suggest/faqs_mr.mi#question21, question 20 states that a *paid* stay is required every 24 months in order to maintain an account's  active status. 

-

- So I'm still left questioning if points accrued from Marriott Rewards credit card use are enough to keep my account active (would seem to be in keeping with the Terms & Conditions) vs. the need to make a *paid* stay within the 24 month time frame as stated in the FAQ.   I see these two statements as being contradictory.

tjcnewyork Platinum

RMT

Consider directing the revised question to Customer Support and do keep us in the loop.  Thanks!

rmt_co Gold

I received the following response to my inquiry in which I pointed out the contradictory requirements for maintaining an "active" account (accrued points from a *paid* stay vs. credit card use):

"Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.  Thank you for bringing this error to our attention.

As long as Marriott Rewards points are earned on your Marriott Rewards account, your account will remain active and your Marriott Rewards points will not expire.  Using the Marriott Rewards credit card will ensure that your Marriott Rewards account will remain active."

tjcnewyork Platinum

rmt_co

"Using the Marriott Rewards credit card will ensure that your Marriott Rewards account will remain active."

Thanks for circling back with the reply.

tjcnewyork Platinum

RMT_co

Based upon the information you obtained, since points earned from a paid stay are not required, in an extreme scenario - for as little as $12.50 charged to ~any~ credit card one could purchase 1000 Marriott Rewards points which should qualify to keep an account active.

rmt_co Gold

I agree, TJCNewYork. Or alternatively consider shopping via https://www.marriottrewardsmall.com/ to add points to an account.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...