14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2015 12:57 PM by foxglove RSS

More headlines from the newspaper archives

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Finding the front section of the Atlanta Journal featuring the moon landing inspired me to spend some time looking for news headlines I'd saved over the years. They've been stored away in various locations, and I was able to locate one of the collections over the weekend. I know I have more squirreled away and will continue to look for them, but I thought I'd post those I've found. Politics, war, and sport were the reasons these papers were put away for safe keeping. I invite you to add images of old papers you may have -- each is a snapshot of history, and looking back provides insight (that comes with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight).

I know I have some papers somewhere that detail the attacks on 9/11, but they weren't among those I found this weekend. But I did find the accounts of G.H.W. Bush's Operation Desert Storm from 17 January 1991:

us attacks.JPG

The next day the Atlanta papers ran a full-color "viewer's guide" to the campaign:

DSCF4272.JPG

Also from 18 January 1991, the arrest of Aileen Wuornos, the "Interstate Killer," who was convicted of or confessed to the murders of seven motorists along Florida interstates. Her story became the basis for the 2003 film Monster, which starred Charlize Theron as Wuornos:

wuornos.jpg

Fast-forward to the biggest news of 20 December 1998:

impeached.jpg

But some six weeks later:

aquittal.jpg

And then there are the more local stories, such as the Atlanta Falcons securing their one and only berth in the Super Bowl, with Ray Buchanan, Jamal Anderson, and Head Coach Dan Reeves performing the "Dirty Bird." From 18 January 1998:

superbirds.JPG

A couple of days later, Dec 21st, the AJC ran this front page story about the US Rep chosen to become House Speaker. Um, no longer scandal-free:

hastert2.jpg

And finally, the Super Bowl results from 1 February 1999:

flattened.JPG

• Re: More headlines from the newspaper archives
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

That's some trip down memory lane for sure.  I now wish I'd kept all the note worthy days of the Houston Chronicle, but alias I did not.   I'd bet you have more as well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

It's amazing how fast time does fly -- and its flight speed seems to be increasing! '\/\/'

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

foxglove,

Excellent post!

Do you have one of 9/11?  I had friends coming thru Atlanta that day, with the airport closed they had to drive the nine hours to STL!   They said Atlanta was really weird, with virtually no activity of any kind in that huge city!

I do have 9/11 papers somewhere. Whether I'll be able to find 'em remains to be seen.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Great idea for a post! My parents have a ton of papers saved throughout their lifetimes, the ones that are popping in my head at the moment are when Kennedy was shot, and 9/11. Next time I go to their house I will try to uncover them.

I'd love to see 'em. My undergraduate degree was in journalism, so I've always had a soft spot for the print media.

I found a few papers that I'd stashed away from 21 January 2009. The 2008 presidential election was historic, and the following articles and photos document the inauguration of President Barack Obama.

The oath of office is administered by Chief Justice John Roberts before a "Who's who" of politicians and onlookers:

Barrackinnaug (2).jpg

The AJC ran a double-page spread, featuring a photo of the throngs on the mall and the complete text of Obama's inaugural address:

dbltrk.jpg

"That we are in the midst of crisis is now well understood. Our nation is at war against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred. Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age. Our healthcare is too costly; our schools fail too many; and each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet.

"What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility -- a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.

"This is the meaning of our liberty and our creed -- why men and women and children of every race and faith can join in celebration across this magnificent mall, and why a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath."

dubya.jpg

And President George W. Bush has left the building.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Oh my goshfoxglove I could contribute so much to this post but I’ll limit my newspaper photos to just a few for now.

September 11, 2001 I was in Atlanta on business and was supposed to fly home to Tucson the evening of the 11th.  I never did fly back; I kept my rental car, left Atlanta on Friday the 14th, met up with a co-worker in Jackson, MS, we drove back to Tucson, she dropped me off and continued on to LA where she lived.  The USA Today under my hotel door on September 11th had a headline so horrible about Andrea Yates and if she would be found legally insane for drowning her 5 kids.

IMG_1906.JPG

The headline in The Atlanta Constitution on September 12th was worse than I could ever imagine.

IMG_1907.JPG

On September 21st, 2001 United Airlines had a full page ad in USA Today.  It is kind of hard to read; literally and figuratively, you'll have to click on the image. I cut off a little at the bottom when I took the picture but it says, “We join you in mourning.  As we join you in strength.”

IMG_1908.JPG

In the wake of September 11th many air carriers filed for Chapter 11; United was one of them. I remember once at the end of a flight the pilot said, “We realize you have a choice of bankrupt carriers and we appreciate you choosing United.”

IMG_1912.JPG

USA Today had full page ads of many of the heroes on September 11th, I saved all of them and this was one of my favorites.

IMG_1909.JPG

I was in Washington DC on business the week of President Reagan’s funeral and I arrived downtown just in time to see his funeral procession go along Constitution Avenue toward the Capitol.  This Washington Post was from June 11, 2004.

IMG_1911.JPG

And then this USA Today front page from January 4th 2006 about the Sago Mine disaster in West Virginia.  CNN reported 12 miners were found alive; USA Today printed the same.  In fact, only one of 13 trapped miners survived.

IMG_1910.JPG

insidenji Well, I'm very pleased to know that I'm not the only Insider storing old newspapers. The ones I've saved have had significant meaning for me -- or for, in my opinion, the then-current times -- and barring a house fire, they constitute a more or less permanent record, depending on the care they receive. I showed this thread to a student today, and she said, "My roommate likes to read papers, but I don't." I asked why, and she said they're wasteful (trees), and you can read the same thing on a computer, tablet, or smart phone. I said, "But they're also recyclable, and the trees that went into their production are renewable, unlike the coal that generated the power to recharge your tablet and smart phone. And while growing, those trees store the carbon released by the coal combustion your devices required." She smiled, and essentially, we both acknowledged (and honored) the generational divide.

But to your post, I have that Atlanta Constitution somewhere. Thanks, now I don't have to go into frenzy mode to find it. And I hadn't thought about those miners or Ms. Yates in quite a while. The whole Yates story was bizarre, sad, and provocative. And the story of Roselle made me just a wee bit misty. Thank you for posting.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

You're welcome foxglove.  I enjoyed looking through my old newspapers; found some things I'd forgotten about.  May have a few more today.

I love newspapers, books, magazines and even though I do have a Kindle and at times it does come in very handy to read the electronic version of USA Today or the Washington Post, I still love the feel of paper in my hands.  I also love to save articles that have had meaning in my life.  I have stacks of papers about September 11th, 2001 as well as many days following and the anniversary papers.  I save many articles about Washington DC, the Monuments, the Civil War, also many articles about planes and flying.  If I see an article about a place I've visited in the past I usually save that as well.

Have you ever been to the Newseum in Washington DC?  If not I would highly recommend it if you ever get to DC; talk about newspaper archives....WOW the place is full of them; lots of great exhibits too; the one about September 11th is particularly moving.

I'm glad you didn't have to go into a frenzy mode looking for your copy of the Atlanta Constitution photo I posted.

And ah yes the generational divide; I find myself to be one of the very few reading a newspaper on a plane or in the lounge for breakfast at a Marriott.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

insidenji I have not visited the Newseum, although I would very much like to. We were in DC for 3 days in July 2010. The Boy Scouts of America were holding their 100th anniversary jamboree that week, and 50,000 scouts from all over the US -- plus another 10,000 scouts from around the world -- were encamped at nearby Fort A.P. Hill. You couldn't move through certain sites, like the Air and Space Museum or the Museum of American History. We found refuge from the scouting masses (and the oppressive heat) in the National Gallery of Art, as well as the Museums of Modern and Asian Art. It was interesting to observe that the scouts were rambunctious and boisterous -- as they should be at that age -- everywhere except the Vietnam Memorial. As the long lines of scouts filed past those 58,000+ names, you could have heard a pin drop. That incredible memorial demands reverence, even from generations likely twice removed from the conflict.

The Newseum will definitely be on the agenda for our next visit, as will a more thorough examination beforehand of what else will be going on in DC during the planned visitation period.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

More great headlines foxglove.

Boehner and Pelosi stand out right away.

The Andrea Yates thing was HORRIBLE.

United, well they can thank Continental for keeping them in business from 2010 till now.

The Coal Miners found alive had me on the edge of my seat watching it on TV.

President Reagan passing was so very sad.

And then we have 9-11, that says it all.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

foxglove I found this article 9 Unbelievable Erroneous Headlines and the WV mining disaster was one listed.  I had forgotten about Gabby Giffords being reported dead in the first minutes of those awful shootings.  I lived in Tucson at the time and remember that day very well.  The others are pretty interesting.

9 Unbelievable Erroneous Headlines (headlines, erroneous, news, media) - ODDEE

Oh and the article you posted about Hastert being scandal free; well I guess one could say that was a big error.

insidenji I'd like to believe that blatant journalistic errors are a relatively recent phenomenon brought about by the digitization of the press and the rush to beat the competition. But the classic Dewey-Truman and Titanic headlines from the days when newspapers ruled journalism pretty much disprove my would-be theory.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...