This discussion is locked
26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2016 10:50 AM by carat RSS

How early is too early to ask for a status challenge?

newbusinesstravelersos Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Note from your Community Managers:  For all inquires and requests regarding Status Challenges, please refer to the following thread:

Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll?

HI all,

I recently was given silver status through a company program and a VERY helpful MR customer service agent. I recently had a post about the fastest way to gold/platinum status and people seemed to say that the challenge is a good idea. Would you recommend waiting until I reach the required 10 nights (I'm at 4 now and will most likely hit 10 in the next 2-3 weeks) prior to asking for the challenge? Or should I wait even longer? I don't want to waste my time or the customer service agents time if I need to wait to hit a certain threshold of nights. Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How early is too early to ask for a status challenge?
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well, if you don't ask, you don't get!

I think the problem for you is that we are near the end of the year, so your numbers for 2015 are at first glance unimpressive. If you've got 10 more nights reserved between now and the end of the year you might, on telephoning Marriott, get an offer, but without a lot of forthcoming stays I think you'll struggle to gain traction. I reckon your best bet in the absence of a lot of stays to year end would be to ride out silver to year end and ask for a gold challenge in January 2016...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Tthe other good thing about waiting until January is that if you earn the gold status through completing the challenge in early 2016, the gold status will be good for all of 2016 AND all of 2017 if I remember the rule correctly.  Perhaps someone can confirm or deny my statement.

achmedn Silver

I have a little bit different issue. I got the challenge/upgrade without asking for it. I was upgraded last month to gold till the end of January and if have 6 stays before the end of this period I will stay gold for another year. My problem is that the timing is very bad, in a period with no planned travel. In another period I could enjoy the gold benefit and also have a good chance to make the challenge. I was wondering if I can let this challenge pass, and ask for another challenge (at a more suitable time)  so soon after I was upgraded to gold and did not succeed in the challenge.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight here from the Insiders!!  NewBusinessTravelerSOS, I believe the best plan of action for you would be to wait until you've reached the next level.  That way, you'll be much closer to reaching Platinum.  I've recently found out that when it comes to Status Challenges, you are only allowed to complete one within a calendar year and cannot sign up for another challenge until one year after you originally signed up for the first challenge. 

achmedn, if you'd like, I can take a deeper look into this.  Please send me a private message with your Rewards number and I'll reach out to our team for clarity.  Thanks in advance!

justin4326 Gold

Carat, I tried t send you a PM but keep getting errors. Is there any other way to reach you? I would like to register the premium challenge as well. I am a gold elite now.

Hello justin4326! You should be able to send me a message now.  Some times it takes a little bit for new members to send private messages.  At any rate, I'll definitely be able to help you out.  If you are still having troubles sending me the message, let me know.  Otherwise, send over your Rewards Number.

I'd also like to Welcome you to the Insiders Community! As you may have already seen, this is a great forum to talk about all things travel.  From sharing your recommendations and experiences to finding out how to get the most out of the Rewards Program.  I am one of the moderators here, along with deannad and lindseyh.  We're here to help, so if you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out to any of us!   I've also gone ahead and included a link to our 'Getting Started Guide' just in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

Looking forward to hearing more from you!!

justin4326 Gold

Hi Carat,

Thanks for the help. May I also know how to complete the challenge to get the platinum challenge? How many stays/nights I need? 

Thanks!

Great question, justin4326! If you complete nine paid stays during a given time period (I've sent that information to you via private message), you will be upgraded to the Platinum Elite level through the end date of the following year, 2017. 

Hey, carat If you start a challenge this year and complete it before 12/31/2015, do you keep your status until the end of 2015, 2016, or 2017?

To add to that, when would your status stay through if you were to successfully complete the challenge in early 2016?

marriottjad Silver 1 Reviews

I Would like a good status challenge if I am eligible.

carat, I'm having trouble sending you a direct message also.

thank you

marriottjad

Welcome to Insiders,marriottjad!  You may have already seen this, but this is a great forum to talk about all things travel related.  From program benefits to sharing your recommendations and experiences.  We discuss it all!  I'm carat and I moderation the forum along with lindseyh and deannad.  If you ever have any questions, like about, or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any of us.  We're always around to help.   I've included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you wanted to take a peek. 

Getting Started Guide

In regards to your post, I've sent you a direct message.  Please respond with your Rewards number and we'll work with our team to see which challenge you are eligible for. 

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

kimb Platinum 1 Reviews

Hi carat. I, as well, am interested in a challenge but am unable to message you. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you - Kim

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to Insiders kimb!  This is a great forum to share your travel knowledge and experiences!  I've gone ahead and sent you a private message, please let me know if you haven't received it. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Okay, I'm a little curious about this one... As a member who is already at platinum level, what status would he/she be challenging?

ghillied Platinum

Hi Carat, I've been lurking for a while reading stuff and then noticed this thread on status challenges.  I'm currently Gold and will retain it for 2016 as well by my calculations, but I also wondered if I would be eligible for a Platinum Challenge??

Many thanks,

GD

sharpinf Gold

Hi Carat,

Sorry for piggybacking on everyone's replies but is there any chance I could be considered for a challenge as I shall be staying in Marriott's for the next 9-10 weeks. Please could you send me a DM as well? Thanks!

Welcome, sharpinf!  I've gone ahead and sent you a message. 

first88rx7 Platinum

I've received errors while trying to DM you as well. I am sure it's because I just set up this profile today.

rowdy1438 Platinum

Hello, I am also receiving errors when trying to DM you. Can you please send me information on the status challenges. Thank you in advance and sorry to piggyback on everyone elses comments.

Hi rowdy1438!  Welcome to the Insiders Community!!  I've gone ahead and sent you a private message.  Let me know if you haven't received it. 

I've also included a link to our Getting Started Guide, just in case you'd like to take a look.

Getting Started Guide

Apologies for not catching this sooner, NewBusinessTravelerSOS. Once the challenge has been completed, you would be able to keep the status through the end of 2016. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

Is this where two members choose weapons and take ten paces before shooting?

starafire Silver

Hi,

I think we are running parallel situation.  I also just started a project on Nov 1st with a lot of travel.  And am at a financial consulting firm.  My company also had the program that fast tracked me to silver before my first stay.  Who knows.  We might be at the same company

Anyway it appears you are more patient then me.  As an fyi, after I did my 2nd  stay at a Marriott property, I called into the Marriott Reward line and asked for the challenge for myself and my manager, who hadn't heard about this challenge stuff before.  They were originally going to give me the Road to Gold Challenge and give her the Platinum one, as she had already done 25 stays this year, compared to my 2.  However, when I told them that I was going to be mostly traveling with her, they agreed to let me try and do the challenge for Platinum as well.

Thx

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...