22 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2016 10:09 PM by mycatdixie RSS

Are there other ways to keep Gold Status

chocoli30 Gold 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have 44 nights so far and need 6 more nights to stay Gold Status by December 31,2015.   I do have 2 nights scheduled on 12/23-12/24 but that's it for the year.  Is there any other way that I can get the 4 remaining night credits? I love being a Marriott Gold Elite member and would love to stay in 2016. Any tips would really help.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Are there other ways to keep Gold Status
    john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Find the cheapest Marriott brand in your neighborhood and take your significant other for a 4 day romantic getaway.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

That's how I'd do it, though I'd spread the 4 nights over November and December.

Another possibility is that you end up losing your Gold status and buy it back in 2016. It will cost 25,000 points to retain Gold, but it's a relatively good value considering all the benefits of staying Gold.

I'd try to reach 50 nights first. If that doesn't happen, try calling to plead your case. If that fails, spend the 25k points.

chocoli30 Gold 6 Reviews

THanks for your reply. I think your suggestion is the best option because we have 80k points from other stays and we held my daughters wedding at a Marriott.  I didnt know that was possible. I knew you guys would come through 

AZDesertRat Platinum

How does the "buy it back" option work?  I should be able to retain my gold status (at 40 stays, with anniversary card bonus coming) and Mega Bonus stays planned), but would like to know for future reference.  Thanks for all your helpful and informative posts.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Pretty simple. If you fall short in the number of nights to retain your current status, Marriott will let you buy back your status for points. At least that has been the case for the last few years. I suppose this could always disappear without notice, but it's a reasonable expectation it will be available in 2016. The offer usually arrives in late January or early February and is good until sometime in April.

To keep Silver cost 7500 points

Gold is 25,000 points

Platinum is 40,000 points

Here is a link to this offer from the beginning of this year Elite Buy Back Promotion.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I want to say the option to buy back status was made permanent. In years past it was always offered but there was always the anxiety of whether that would offer it or not. I might be wrong. Can someone confirm? clebert NathalieF

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

ks77, I think it's at Marriott's discretion as to whether a buy back is offered so no guarantees.  I will have 70 nights this year and debating whether to buy back platinum!

chocoli30 Gold 6 Reviews

THanks for your reply. We are leaving for Jamaica from Christmas to New years So I wish this was an option  

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

have you tried contacting marriott? many members received an email from marriott lowering the number of nights needed to maintain your status. I have 24 nights as of now and when i got the email about a month ago, they only required 14 more nights which put me at a bout 38 nights total to keep gold. I have the Ritz card so it does not matter since im way over spending 10k. If you received this email and didnt see it, you may already qualify to keep it. Not sure how many people received it. Here is a link to a discussion on FT

20 nights in next 3 months to maintain Platinum - FlyerTalk Forums

chocoli30 Gold 6 Reviews

THanks for your reply I did try calling but I think the person I got was grumpy. He was like you ONLY need 6 more nights.  Lol im gonna try calling again maybe someone will be in the holiday spirit   

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Yes,

Definitely try calling again. Makes a world of difference depending on who you get. Make sure you ask for the person's name nicely too. That sometimes makes a little difference to some people. And if you are traveling Dec and Jan, they won't drop you until February sometime, so you will have your Gold Status for your trip anyway.

stratman560 Platinum

jm1991 touched on it, but you might want to keep an eye on the Ritz Carlton Credit Card.  Last year at this time they offered a promo for 140k MR points, plus you get comped Gold your first year.  Right now I think the sign up bonus is 2 free nights at a Ritz, but if that 140k promo comes back, you may want to jump on it.  I'd post the deets for the CC, but there are already some pretty good threads on it here about it.  Long story short, if your a road warrior, you'll like the card.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great Insider insight here!  Way to go crew!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If you don't have a MR credit card get one.  It gives you fifteen nights credit each year.  In addition you get one night credit for every $3,000 that you spend.  There is an annual fee which is around $90, but that is recouped since you get a free night each year at a cat 1 through 5 hotel.

Thus charging only $1,000 each month gets you four nights per year.  Add that to 15 for the card and you only need to stay 31 nights each year for gold.  In addition, you get 5 points for every dollar that you spend at Marriott establishments.  If your staying 40 nights in a year, at an average cost of $100 each night, that's an extra night credit and an extra 5,000 points.

I jumped from silver all the way to Plat after getting the new MR credit card. The card gives me between 35 and 40 nights credit each year. In fact, the year that I had my kitchen renovated, using a vendor that takes VISA, I got almost 50 nights through the credit card.  Of course this requires me to put virtually all my spending on this card until 2017 when I will reach lifetime plat.

dk69 Platinum

So, if you have the RC card and enter your Marriott rewards number in during sign-up, you make Marriott gold after spend $10K. Does that mean you receive 50 stays in your Marriott account then - the cost of Gold? And does that also then mean you make Marriott Platinum Elite in only 25 nights (equaling 75 total nights for the year?)

I currently have had the Marriott Rewards card for several years, where you get 15 nights automatic each year. But with the Ritz Carlton card, if you can make Gold after spending $10K each year, that's worth 50 nights. Am I understanding this correctly?

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

dk69, My guess that you will get the status, but not the 50 nights. If I was doing that, I'd apply for it, get Gold, and then a month before you go do a longer stay, do the Platinum Challenge. If you can make Platinum, you should keep it all of the next year, and then if you don't make the nights for Platinum the next year, and don't want to buy back the Platinum status, they only drop you one level a year. So the year after that, you'd be Gold again. Through that process, You'd keep Gold or higher for about 3-4 years.

mycatdixie Gold

Now there is a very easy way. Get the American Express Platinum credit card.  It gives you Gold status in  SPG and Hilton.  Then status yourself to Gold in Marriott by linking your accounts.

kathynfmom Gold 3 Reviews

How much is it per year for the American Express Platinum?

mycatdixie Gold

The annual fee for the primary account holder is $450. You can add up to 3 additional users that will also get lounge access (even if the primary isn't traveling) and their Global Entry paid.

mycatdixie Gold

The cost for the 3 additional users is around $75 total ( not 3 times $75).

dk69 Platinum

then how many nights do you need to make platinum?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...