28 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2015 10:05 AM by carat RSS

Winter Blues

*lucky1* Silver
Currently Being Moderated

What is your way or idea to help beat the Winter Blues?

I Think Parks Are Good Medicine for the body and soul!

Name some of your ideas or activities To help give you a lift with the weather changes.

Nice walk on a sunny day always puts me in a good mood.  Finding a nice bench to sit and ponder what I  have achieved and what I want to do next helps recharge my spirit!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Winter Blues
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Lovely pictures.

I can be of no help in this thread for beating the winter blues as we thankfully don't have much of a winter here in Houston and I am quite grateful for that!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

*lucky1* Silver

Have been to Dallas but not Houston. I like  to see the snow and all but it's just the cold    that really doesn't help arthritis and can't really get out as much when the cold sets in Chicago area. You are lucky to live where you do not get brutal cold wInters.  

That city to our north can have all the heat in the summer and cold ice and snow in the winter, I"ll take our six months of humidity any day over the crud they get up there.  So no not a fan of the little town nor their weather!!! 

*lucky1* Silver

I want to move down that a way get some of that kinda weather ...warmth.....      yes tired of crud....

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I'd take a New England winter over a DC summer, gratefully.  I can't imagine living through a Houston summer.  I'd take an Alaska winter over a Houston summer.

Our summers are not as bad as you might think, we did not break 99 this year in my part of town and the humidity is supposed to be good for your skin or so my wife tells me.

I loved snow skiing, key word being loved.  Speaking of boots and equipment, I still have my boots and ski pants, gloves, jacket etc., and a friend even borrowed them last over Spring Break when their family went up to Ouray, Colorado. 

Oh it's fun to go out and play in it once in a while, just rather be outside in shorts and flip flops these days.

I'm miserable at 90 with a little humidity!  I'm totally wiped out by higher temperatures or a lot of humidity.  Different people are made differently and can tolerate different extremes than others.  Perhaps my ancestors' passed on some genes that made me this way.  They lived on the shores of the Baltic.

lucky1, I just don't have the winter blues.  Perhaps I learned to avoid them as a youth by enjoying the snow and cold in the sunshine.  The only winter blues I ever get is from short gray days, not from the cold and certainly not from snow.

There is little that leaves me feeling better than a sunny day on the ski slopes or cross country trails at 10-20 degrees.  Fortunately, my wife agrees with me completely.    

*lucky1* Silver

You are lucky to enjoy the cold. I too loved to play in the snow as a child and in my younger years. Getting up there in age and having arthritis that gets worse with the chill prevents me from doing any winter activities except to walk so I do enjoy that. I am happy for you and wife getting to enjoy the winter activities, sounds like a great time you both have! My daughter loves snowboarding so she sends me videos of her enjoying the snow, that puts a smile on my face to watch her doing something she loves also! Yes the snow looks beautiful. Happy  Skiing to you! 

I also have to deal with Arthur, mostly in my hands so I really appreciate todays ski glove technology.  The time that I pay, however, is summer.  I am miserable when the heat index gets anywhere 90.  

Incidentally, when I bought my current skis, and boots, I commented that these were probably buying my last skis and boots.

An older man overheard me and asked "why?"   I responded "I just turned 72 and I get about 15-20 years from a set of equipment.  I can't imagine I'll still be skiing when these wear out."

He smiled and said "I'm 89 and I'm buying new boots, today."

I looked down and he was trying a pair of new boots.

*lucky1* Silver

Wow....nice!  Great to be able to ski As long has you can still be able to enjoy and your body allows you to move like that it's awesome! I would rather be where it's warm myself my arthritis is through my spine (neck to tail bone) ugh.....

So the cold makes me tense up if out in it cold. I just feel better when it's warm. Everybody is different which I guess is good so we all do our own thing to make us feel better. Like the story you told about the 89 year old and you made me laugh. I am 17 years younger then you and have been dealing with this for already 20 years so take advantage of your ability to be able to ski. Wishing you the best of skiing weather this year!  

I still don't expect to be skiing at 89. 

*lucky1* Silver

Well I am hoping you still will be able to ski. That would be great to be able to do that activity as long as you can, good exercise.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I beat the winter blues by being in Phoenix during the winter. I spent 35 years in New England so no longer can put up with winter

I beat the winter blues by being in Phoenix during the winter. I spent 35 years in New England so no longer can put up with winter

*lucky1* Silver

Sounds like a good idea!

yes went to a fall league baseball game today. Next years rookies play and it was 78  not so bad lucky 1

*lucky1* Silver

Nice! Jerryl . Was nicer out today here but not 78 it was in the 50's  but sun was out all day. We raked and blew leaves to the roadside, emptied clay pots so they don't freeze and crack, and carried wood inside for the winter,  arranged  garage so we have room for snowblower and shovels.  Lol.... Sounds like you had a much better day..   Enjoy your beautiful weather and baseball games.

lucky1,

It was 75 here yesterday, mostly cloudy and we got it a nice round of golf.  Today they say some wind, PM storms that will usher in a cold front to give us a high on Friday of 68.  We should get the golf in before the storms approach! 

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great thread!  I may be one of the few, but I enjoy the snow and the cold.  I always make sure I spend some time outside to help beat the cabin fever feeling.  Whether it be skiing, taking my dog for a walk, or playing with my nephew in the snow.  Fresh air does wonders for the soul!

carat  I knew you had some good background (New England) and knew good pizza.  Now you tell me that you have great taste in weather/climate.

You are a true asset to this forum!!!!!!!

Thanks, phctourist! I do what I can

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Snow, ice and cold??  Bring it on, I love winter! 

You are a wrangler after my own heart.

Another difference between cold &. heat is that you can always put on another layer, but t here is a limit to what you can take off.

BTW Where do you like to ski in NE?

Depends.  I've spent a lot of time skiing in Vermont, as I used to live there.  Luckily at the time, I was dating a lift attendant for Smugglers Notch, so that made it cheap and easy.  Growing up, my mountain was Jiminy Peak. I haven't been in a few years, but am hoping I'll get there this winter.  It's big enough to get the large mountain feel, but small enough to have decent lift ticket prices.  Do you have any favorites, phctourist?

Stowe and   Killington were my favorites when I was a bit younger but at my age I'm happy on the blue and green trails, so I enjoy almost anywhere.  In my prime, my favorite runs were the ones under the gondola at Stowe, especially Nosedive. 

I thoroughly enjoyed, Stowe!! Haven't been since I left 9 years ago, so I'm sure much has changed. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...