19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2015 1:05 PM by mikiegfla RSS

London for Christmas…Which hotel Park Lane or Grosvenor House?

gmcweston Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

We are traveling to London from December 26- January 1, 2016.  Family of 4 with two teenage boys.  Which property is better?  I understand that the Park Lane has undergone a refub and is quite nice.  I am a Platinum member.  Where shall we go for New Years Eve?

Thoughts?  Many thanks in advance!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
London, England
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley
London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
  • Re: London for Christmas…Which hotel Park Lane or Grosvenor House?
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

gmcweston,

Sounds like a wonderful trip!  It sure is a great time of the year to visit London.  It is so "Festive" during The Christmas/ New Years time.  Don't know if you have spent time in London before, but here are a few experiences to share with you:

Both of the hotels you have decided on are very nice, but with two teenagers, you may be better off staying at County Hall!  With so much for young people to see and do, within walking distance, you would save yourself so much money/time on commuting to these places, for example, you can walk to,

The London Eye

The London Dungeon

Westminster Abbey

Thames River Cruises

Buckingham Palace

Trafalgar Square

Many, many more!

Now for something special to experience:

Christmas shopping at Harrod's.  No place like this in the World during the Christmas Season.  Try to go during the week, as week-ends are just too busy.

As for one dining experience that would be so special for at least one holiday night, consider one of the most beautiful and memorable and historic dining rooms in the World, The Ritz.  And no, it is not as expensive as you would think!

One thing for sure, book your plans early, all of your choices can be a "Tough Ticket" if you wait too long!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
      carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight, jerrycoin

@carat,

Here's London at Christmas!

SANY0356.JPG

The Christmas Floor at Harrod's has everything, including, your favorite type of tree!

IMG_2206.JPG

Sharing Christmas stories with fellow MRI's, like arkwright, in the lounge at County Hall, with scenery behind you is something your will never forget!

IMG_2227.JPG

After a day of Christmas shopping you may need to stop in one of the World's most famous pub's.  The Sherlock Holmes, will have a pint waiting for you to "Quench the shoppers thirst"!

Location Brand Hotel
        London, England
          arkwright Platinum 2 Reviews

Dear Jerry,

I noticed - with gratitude - your reference to our meeting in London a few years ago. Yes, I too found it a very enjoyable and informative experience.

For various reasons, I'm seldom around "Insiders" these days - partly because the focus of attention seemed to have moved far from the subjects to which I felt I could make a helpful contribution; partly because the  dominant style of input allowed little scope for the type of reflective ruminations that I enjoyed. 

If/when you are next in London, and might feel like a little alcoholic sustenance, I'd be delighted to endeavour to meet up again.

Meanwhile, all best wishes,

Arkwright

Arkwright,

So wonderful to again hear from you!

Your travel suggestions are wonderful, everything from England, Europe, and beyond!

Yes, I totally agree!  Will be back in London, and have a chance to "Have a laugh", or two, and share some great travel stories. 

The best to you over this upcoming Holiday Season, and do stay in touch!

AZDesertRat Platinum

Jerry -  Great pictures and insights, and continuing support for my "most interesting man" nomination.  I am vicariously reliving past trips and dreaming of more through your posts.

AZDesertRat,

Wow, you are again too kind!  Thank-you! 

Don't forget to visit us at The RI, Paradise Valley in Scottsdale, 1/25/16 to 1/29/16!  We could have a few laughs and enjoy chatting about travel.  BTW, any and all MRI's are welcome as well!  We can set aside a specific time, as we get closer to those dates.  I'm open, but will take into consideration others work, family, or social schedules!

AZDesertRat Platinum

jerrycoin

It's a plan and I am blocking those dates on my calendar.  We will have perfect weather for you to enjoy!

AZDesertRat,

"Book it Dan'l!  (From Hawaii 5-0)

Plan on coming to The RI, I would like to introduce you to some of the staff!  They are a terrific group of people!  Wonderful people for you to meet and know!

IMG_1872.JPG

Ann-Marie, is a fantastic helper!

IMG_3044.JPG

Win, is also a great provider of tourist information, as well as making sure your experience is a great one, and it always has been!

Location Brand Hotel
                Scottsdale, Arizona, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Scottsdale Paradise Valley
              jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

since I live in Phoenix at least nine months let me know to see if I will be in that week

gmcweston Platinum

Hi jerrycoin!

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply.  My trip just got more complicated:  I've booked a two day jaunt to Pairs.  My current itinerary is Dec 26-29 Park Lane, Dec 29-31 Ren Arc de Triomphe, Dec 31-Jan 1 London St. Pancras.  I'm staying at the Park Lane beuase it is very expensive and I'm using points.  My boys like to be comfortable!  Do all of these hotels have Executive Lounges?  I'm Plat Elite.  SHould I just atay at St. Pancras the whole time?  It is much less expensive if I were to pay but the same number of points so I am not getting as much value.  Also, when I leave London, can I leave my luggage in London to be there upon my return to St. Pancras?

Please avise.  I'm so confued.

Thank you!

gmcweston,

Yes, just stay at St. Pancras!  You can leave your bags there, and you won't waste valuable time packing/repacking and changing hotels.  Likewise, you have also picked out some outstanding hotels.  The St. Pancras has a CL, the Ren AdT, does not, but don't let that deter you.  You will get a wonderful full breakfast, comped, at The Ren AdT.

You will save yourself $100's but staying at St. Pancras, and NOT having to pay to commute.  Likewise, if you have a Plat. or Black AMEX, you will get into the VIP Lounge prior to departing on The Eurostar.  (Please see previous posts)!

London, will be easily accessed from St. Pancras.  I would recommend The Big Red Bus, as the first thing to do in London, and it's counterpart in Paris!

IMG_1663.jpg

St. Pancras is beautiful!  Wonderful places to shop/dine, and you will be glad you have a nice room, close, when you get off the Eurostar!

IMG_3950.JPG

Let me share one other recommendation!  Utilize the Concierge staff!  They will save you much time and money.  Especially at AdT!  Remy, and his staff, are wonderful!  Tell them Hello from me!

Location Brand Hotel
        London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
        Paris, France Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe Hotel
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I agree fully with jerrycoin here, County Hall is your best bet for a full-on-with-the-kids tourist visit. I wouldnt really recommend it for an adult stay, but just like the Marquis in NYC, the County Hall is Londons seminal "in the thick of tourism" hotel.

AS for New Years Eve, if you're at County Hall, stay put! London's New Years Eve fireworks centre around the London Eye, that's the big wheel in front of the Marriott County Hall.

IMG_1212.JPG

Almost forgot to mention Christmas shopping at The Burlington Arcade!  Wonderful shops, and this place is one of my real favorites:

IMG_1214.JPG

Julie, and Robert, at The House of Cashmere, always provide great products and service to all!

IMG_3460.JPG

Yes, The Queen is sailing by!  Note the crowd on Westminster Bridge!  There is always wonderful activity surrounding County Hall!  This is a photo from my room!

IMG_3780.jpg

This the view from CH!  It will provide you a safe, dry, and memorable New Year's FROM YOUR ROOM!

SANY0394.JPG

You may want to enjoy a moderately priced, but wonderful meal at London's oldest restaurant!  "Rules"!

You are in for a wonderful time, no matter where you stay!

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

Have you seen the NYE prices!!!!!

moonflower Platinum 13 Reviews

I confess I have not stayed at Park Lane but I use the Grosvenor House when ever I can. The rooms are luxurious and the new Exec Lounge is excellent. I expect New Year in London will be fun but the rates are astronomic! My wife and I have chosen the main event at the Forest in Arden (near Birmingham) - have a look at the New Year offer! Hope you have a great time with the family.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

But to stay on topic and answer the question, I've stayed at Park Lane and Grosvenor and for me it's Park Lane hands down. The location across from Marble Arch is superior and the property offers (or at least did offer last year) Platinum's the option of having breakfast in the restaurant in addition to the lounge. We opted for the restaurant each day and ordered anything we wanted right off the menu. Like I said, I'm not sure this is still being offered but too bad for the wait staff if it isn't because I dropped a ten pound note on the table each day for them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...