11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2015 11:15 AM by bejacob RSS

Obtained Platinum Level (...and Shanghai Renaissance Yangtze's way of congratulating me)

ramoneur Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

...so,

when I checked out last Wednesday (at the Shanghai Yangtze Renaissance hotel) I asked the front desk staff to please make some (special) haste with posting my stay to my Marriott Rewards account,

since with those nights I would become Platinum Elite (i.e. my 75th night);

and they did!

the nights got posted within 2 days and I even got an email congratulating me on obtaining Platinum level :-)

([bla]it is a little bit of my pet peeve to complain about the inaccessibility of a Marriott tied-in CC; so I herewith do this; I had to stay an actual 72 nights having only 2 roll over nights and a birthday credit night; and yes, for most of you road-warriors out there this is nothing, but my wife doesn't agree on that point[/bla])

but it get's better!

upon checking in last Friday at this hotel, I got greeted by many of their staff (even the general manager :-)), congratulating me personally on obtaining the Platinum level;

I even got upgraded to a suite for the occasion (very nice room btw!)

and it get's better still!

in my room I found a personalized welcome card - next to some fresh fruit and a bottle of red wine - wherein the Renaissance staff personally congratulated me with my new Platinum level;

this was really, really nice;

I already appreciated the very nice room-upgrade

but the personalized card really showed me they went the extra mile for me

I love this hotel

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Shanghai, China Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
  • Re: Obtained Platinum Level (...and Shanghai Renaissance Yangtze's way of congratulating me)
    jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Hey ramoneur, that is an awesome story and congratulations in order as well for the Hotel for going our of their way to express their appreciation and gratitude for making Platinum level. 72 actual nights is a lot of stays no matter how you look at it and you deserve the extra attention for getting to that level.

Enjoy your status, despite some negative (not being appreciated) posts, I too have had special treatment at times, not all the time but occasionally at a hotels I frequent more often & they have sent up some goodies too with a nice little note in a card.

Thanks for sharing this..

JD

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Obtained Platinum Level (...and Shanghai Renaissance Yangtze's way of congratulating me)
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

CCongratulations on your achievement. 72 nights actually stayed, in 10 years of Marriott membership and 6 at platinum I've only stayed over 60 butt in bed nights twice. Even so, I do feel some of your pain, if I had access to the Chase card I'd be at lifetime plat now...

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Congrats!  祝贺 - Google told me these characters mean congrats in Chinese, but who knows? 

ramoneur Platinum

thnx

>but who knows?
      well, I do actually ;-)

problem with Chinese is, next to being highly contextual, that it frequently combines sets of characters into shorter sets;

in formula: word 1 = AB, word 2 = CD; combination of word1+word2 is not ABCD, but BD (or AC, AD, etc.)

>祝贺

this is combination of:
      祝 = zhu4 = express good wishes; wish

贺 = he4 = congratulate

(note that the person (I) and grammatics (noun-making of the verb) have already been condensed c.q. left out)

btw: I have seen google translate get better and better with translating Chinese to English;

but in the end they will never solve it with the current architecture of programming/chips;

an especially contextual language (like Chinese) needs an almost sentient processor of algorithms

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Stories like this help to renew my faith in Marriott.  This is how the program should work!

tmak75 Platinum

That kind of service makes you never want to stay elsewhere again.  Nice.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Congratulations on your hard earned platinum status and congratulations on being in the right place at the right time.  From what you and others have said, China is the place to be for warm hospitality executed with finess, especially your Yangtze Renaissance.  Enjoy your stay!

Sitting in my room here in the U.S., I shall raise a toast to you with my one cup of in-room coffee provided for me and my husband (apparently we're supposed to share) by Marriott.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Congrats, ramoneur!! The hotel did a great job congratulating you as well! 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Great news ramoneur and welcome to the dark side!!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Good news indeed. All I got for renewing my Platinum status for another year was a crumby email. Okay, it was actually a nice email.

Some properties do put a little extra effort into greeting Platinums. A couple times I've had a handwritten note and a few goodies waiting for me in my room when I arrive. Usually it is a places that don't have any suites available and this is their way of thanking me for my loyalty. It's always a nice touch and still uncommon enough that it is noteworthy.

It's nice to hear about personal touches like the ones you experienced. I like reading those much better than the complaints.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...