29 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2016 11:53 AM by iahflyr RSS

Space aviation geezers unite!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

This one's actually for space geeks of all ages, but those of a certain age will likely relate to this post the most. This past weekend the "Friends" group of the local animal shelter held its annual bazarr/garage sale. Donations and turnout were fantastic, and the group made some $6,000 for the animal shelter and animal control services. A call went out for boxes to package the leftovers, which were donated, depending on the items, to Goodwill, Habitat, and Hope House. At the bottom of one of the boxes, Lady Foxglove found the following front section of the Atlanta Journal from July 21, 1969, the day after Apollo 11's landing and moonwalk. It's a time capsule in and of itself.

DSCF4227.JPG

Most of the front section was devoted to the moon landing and EVA. Even Tricky Dick got in the act.

DSCF4237.JPG

But there were some other newsworthy events goin' on, like a war. And Thor Heyerdahl was following up his Kon-Tiki voyage with Ra:

DSCF4232.JPG

And Teddy was making news:

DSCF4231.JPG

And then there were the ads of a bygone era. Back then, it was "Smoke 'em if you got 'em." Ah, yes, a two-pack!

DSCF4234.JPG

And then there were the movies. Oh, to be Jack Lemmon.

DSCF4238.JPG

And finally, the editorial cartoon, with a little 2001-esque influence:

DSCF4241.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Cocoa Beach Cape Canaveral
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
  • Re: Space aviation geezers unite!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

foxglove,

What a wonderful post!

I just ask that KH B732 @ HNL, will also share his expertise!

PTDC0030.JPG

That's Fred Haise, from Apollo 13! 

Was lucky to meet these guys  who had the 'Right Stuff'!  My collection of experiences is now with KH B732 @ HNL!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Cocoa Beach, Florida, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Cocoa Beach Cape Canaveral

That's very cool, jerrycoin. I've heard it said that those astronauts who went to the moon -- whether they actually landed on it or orbited it like Fred Haise -- compose the most exclusive club on Earth. And sadly, the membership is shrinking. I hope that one day we'll again have the "right stuff" and explore beyond inner space.

PTDC0044.jpg

So lucky and blessed to meet almost every Astronaut, (In the old days), and here is a photo of Fred Haise and me, with a friend.  He like everyone I have met, were very humble, and very talented.  My buddy, Dr. John Williams, was head of PR for Lockheed, and he arranged for me to be on the VIP site for over 40 live Shuttle launches, (Or attempts!).  Met a lot of wonderful people.  Will say that I forwarded my collection to our dear MRI friend, KH B732 @ HNL!  He has the material to verify the many wonderful experiences I have enjoyed at KSC!

PTDC0057.JPG

The first picture is John Denver, singing, "They where flying for me"!  A wonderful song about  The Challenger Disaster!

Location Brand Hotel
      Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center

The astronauts of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions were the heroes of my childhood and youth. I would have  loved to have been able to meet and talk with them.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Great post. I love old newspapers and might have a moon landing one kept by my Dad. Of course it'll be a British paper. I'll nip into the attic over the weekend and if I find it, I'll add to this post!

I feel almost guilty that we stumbled upon this gem -- almost. Someone obviously saved it, and it ended up as packing material. I look forward to seeing what you find on your attic quest.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

What a historical piece, WOW.  Amazing to find that paper and even more so that it is in excellent shape.  Good stuff foxglove and even better by Mrs. Foxglove!

Mrs. Foxglove said to one of the other volunteers, "My husband's gonna love this. During the space shuttle days I'd find him watching NASA TV for hours, even it was just a static shot of the control room."

My response? You just gotta know what to watch for.

Exactly, to the untrained eye it all appears static but not to those of us in the know!!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

So neat!! Great post, foxglove!

Thanks, carat. It really took this geezer back in time.

moon plaque.jpg

I pray that our nation will someday soon find the courage to accept the risk and challenge to finish the work that we started.  – Gene Kranz

apollo11_earthrise.jpg

A few years ago Gene Kranz was on a flight back to Houston when one of the Flight Attendants in First Class recognized his name for their paperwork.  She told the Captain who came back to meet him before departure, he was so very kind and gracious.

I was lucky enough to be able to grab this picture as Endeavor made it's final pass by Houston and did a fly-by over Runway 15L at IAH on the way to LAX.  There were about 10 departures all ready to go when the tower announced the Shuttle would be making a final trip past the airport, not one airplane wanted to depart in front of the Shuttle Carrier and I'm sure many of them set the parking brake and got their cellphones out to grab a photo.

P1010353.JPGP1010354.JPGP1010355.JPGP1010356.JPGP1010357.JPG

Beautiful photo's and story!

Isn't it sad that we, nor anyone else, will witness these wonderful sights again!

Very cool photos -- what a sight!  And by the way, I think it stinks that Houston wasn't chosen to become the permanent home of one of the retired shuttles. If any city deserved one...

I and about 5 million other metro Houston folks of the same thought foxglove,

gatilla007 Silver

IAHFLYR Yep, Houston got a raw deal on this (I am allowed to say screwed?). Atlantis going to KSC makes total sense, Endeavour to LA for sure, and Discovery to the Smithsonia in VA is understandable, but Enterprise should have gone to Houston for sure! Giving it to NYC was purely a marketing ploy, marketers win again! Perhaps Houstonians should petition to "borrow it" from intrepid air museum? #sorryhouston

gatilla007,

I will agree that Houston should have gotten a Shuttle however; it should have been reversed with Houston getting Endeavor while Los Angeles enjoying Enterprise.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I'm certainly no geezer   no, I'll never cop to it, but old newspaper finds are the best, and great going, Mrs. F!!

Here's something a bit newer, though now belongs to a bygone era.

Space Shuttle Discovery at the Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA this weekend. What an absolutely phenomenal place this is!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Sorry about the sideways photos. It's a mobile device thing, I think. I'll have to fix later.

pluto77 Chantilly, VA, just went on my list of must-see, semi-near destinations. The shuttle will always be the iconic space vehicle image I associate with NASA. (I have a model of Discovery suspended from my office ceiling.) To launch, conduct a mission, and return safely in a reusable space craft seemed the partial fulfillment of a Jetson-esque future, which many of we boomers -- okay, maybe just some of us -- had grown up believing (hoping) was the future.

I was teaching high school in 1986, and the county system had closed the schools on Jan. 28. Temperatures had been in the single digits for days, which is unusual for N. Georgia, and the schools' boilers literally couldn't produce the heat necessary to heat the schools. (And sadly, those frigid temps had extended to C. Florida.) So I was home watching TV.

Despite the media build-up regarding sending a teacher into space, none of the major networks was carrying the launch of Challenger live -- shuttle launches had become routine. I have no idea what I was watching, but a "BREAKING NEWS" card flashed onscreen, and the network cut to the image of an enormous plume and solid fuel boosters heading off on their own. I knew immediately what I was viewing; that moment is one of the indelible memories of my life.

That fateful day in 1986 I had just got off a plane in EWR and while walking past a bar on the way out of the airport that had a huge number of people standing with a completely shocked look on their face as they watched the TV coverage.  A very very sobering experience.

gatilla007 Silver

What a terrific post foxglove! Got chills looking at the photos and comments. Anything space related has to be a topic of high interest, especially to anyone even remotely associated with it. So cool!

PTDC0056.JPG

Nothing like a "Night Launch"!

Here is John W, (Director of Public Relations for Lockeed"  Truman H, (Astronaut Candidate, my great friend) and Sue M., Director for Cocoa Beach Chamber.  We are awaiting, what turned out to be a fabulous Shuttle Launch at dawn.  It was spectacular!  We need to get our Space Program back to America!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Ah, how exciting it must have been to be alive (and of an age in which you'd remember) during this time in history!  foxglove, though the Cold War must have been a bit scary, stuff like the space race must have been extremely exciting!  As jerrycoin knows, it's a moment in history which I have a particular fondness for. 

Unfortunately I've never met an astronaut, nor have I ever seen a launch vehicle of any type... But I have seen Commander John Young's pressure suit at the Museum of Flight in Seattle! 

PNW-376.jpg

He's is among my favorite astronauts.  This guy is incredible!  Gemini 3 & 10, Apollo 10 (lunar landing dress rehearsal), Apollo 16 (on of the last men to walk on the moon), STS-1 (the first flight of the Space Shuttle; no unmanned test flight flown prior), and STS-9.  He's definitely a rockstar! 

kharada46,

I met John Young, and he was a "Pure, Gentleman"!

He is regarded as "The Astronaut's, Astronaut"!

Having donated my KSC to you, you will find a signed picture from him on the Moon.

He has a road in Orlando named after him, and he is a famous, deserved "Space Hero"!

He would never say that, but I know he was!

jerrycoin, you really are Insiders royalty.  What I wouldn't give to experience the things you've experienced!!

IMG_2537.JPG

There is a lot to see and do at KSC/Titusville area!  kharada46, you would have a great time, visiting all of the sights!

kharada46 The 1960s and '70s were definitely exciting times for space exploration and scientific advances. And although in the back of everyone's mind lurked the potential threat of a total nuclear exchange, the presence of  MAD -- mutually assured destruction -- allowed a certain amount of reassurance that it wouldn't happen (Dr. Strangelove notwithstanding). By comparison, present day society seems far less secure. At least back then we knew who our enemies were.

And speaking of exciting advances, how 'bout the recent detection of gravitational waves reaching Earth after a black hole collision 1.3 billion years ago? Those astronomers and physicists had a discovery moment that probably seemed right out of Carl Sagan's Contact.

foxglove, yes!  That truly was the age of exploration and scientific advances!  Society was changing at such an incredible rate.  I think it's much more exciting than the technological revolution I came to age in. 

The gravitational waves are exciting!  Hopefully we can see more of Einstein's theories proven in the not-too-distant future.  Though I'd really like to see wormhole and/or faster-than-light travel too

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...