22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2015 1:50 PM by tryt53 RSS

HAS THIS FORUM "TILTED" TO THE NEGATIVE

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

IT SEEMS MOST SUBJECTS LATELY CONTAIN MORE NEGATIVE COMMENTS THAN POSITIVE. WHETHER IT IS A DISCUSSION LIKE "AM I BEING TAKEN FOR GRANTED",  "HELLO AND GOOD BYE" OR "YOUR ROOM YOUR CHOICE" THE COMMENTS THAT ARE DESCRIPTIONS OF NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES OUT WEIGH THE POSITIVE.

We are in a  changing hotel environment that is moving forward quickly.  Whether it's consolidation (Starwood and Hyatt) or automation making it more difficult as each day goes by to make contact with management that can correct mistakes and wrongs.

We are being insulted internally by members with "handles" that suggest other chains are a better choice.

It has been said by the majority of members that MR is not broken, just needs some "fine tuning" and by far the best of the hotel programs (My feeling).

Are we going to continue to travel down the "negative" path or going to make a constructive effort to get the message to Marriott that we will remain loyal all we ask is you (MR) make an equal effort.

E

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: HAS THIS FORUM "TILTED" TO THE NEGATIVE
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

NO!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

brightlybob

Now, sir, am I to take this opinion from a gentleman in a short sleeved shirt! - I have been to Manchester during the Summer and it was never warm enough to be without a sweater (jumper in English - don't want a language problem).

(hope you understand said in jest)

Doh, silly me. I posted a big negative

And it was all going so well too

Now, now misterchk don't be a Southerner*. My rule is to get my Hawaiian shirts out whenever the mercury hits double digits (in Celsius, obviously!). It's the only way of giving them any wear "Up North"

*Trans... Here in northern England the word Southerner means someone who lives in the Southeastern corner, principally London, Essex and Kent. All of whom I find are excessively sensitive to the drizzly, cold, damp, grey weather which is the staple fare of Manchester.

peymanagement Platinum

No, But I do find some venting that could have easily been resolved with a simple CS call. I find mostly good points made from sometimes differing points of view on relevant subjects.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

I'm positive that there have been more negative comments lately..... Hmm... is that a positive or a negative statement??

I have sensed the same thing misterchk (or do you prefer E)

Overall I am very pleased with the Marriott Experience (hotels, upgrades, points, etc. etc. etc).  I also realize having been in retail for nearly 40 years (ouch; that just made me feel really old) that service industries cannot be perfect and please all of the people all of the time.  Some of this I suspect is due to a change in the American culture; treating people with respect and understanding goes a long way with most everyone - just feels like that experience is dwindling almost everywhere you go...

OK back to your point....

I agree with you; while I earned becoming Gold then Platinum, I still appreciate how I am usually recognized and the 95% of the time that my room is upgraded or the hotel does something really nice because it was my wife and I anniversary.  We shouldn't forget those experiences when you are told that there are no upgrades available when you check-in.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset when something is done wrong or not done at all, but there is a way to do it in a manner that the person on the receiving end of your discussion feels the respect that hopefully they have shown you.

Sorry, I ramble sometimes - and I'm positive about that statement.....

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I think like everything the negative issues get highlighted and positive stuff gets less attention . Just like in the news

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

This site always has a few gripes. That won't stop and let's face it, sometimes venting is needed. It's hard say whether it is more negative than in the past. I try to tune out the most obvious trolls and generally don't even bother the respond (sometimes it's hard to bite back a vicious, snarky reply). Perhaps my slightly reduced presence of late is because things are more negative and I don't feel the need to add to it.

I try hard to keep my tone mostly positive, though it wouldn't take too much effort to find times when I'm not thrilled about MR (seems to me the current MegaBonus offers might have been one ).

I'm a big fan of Marriott, Marriott Rewards, and Marriott Rewards Insiders. This is a great place for info. An occasional gripe is fine. If it becomes nothing but a place to complain, many of us will find other ways to spend our time. That would be a sad day.

If someone posts on this site seeking advice on a bad experience and what might be done to solve it, that's a good thing. We can sometimes help. If someone posts solely to bash Marriott, we don't need to perpetuate that discussion. People have a right to post opinions. The rest of us always have the option to ignore them. Odds are pretty good that the problem is not with Marriott but with the individual involved. That person will have problems with whatever hotel chain he/she ends up with. Better elsewhere than under the same roof with us.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Normal. That's what people tend to do in all areas. Everyone complains about things they don't like more than they praise things they do like.

I personally pride myself on not going off on some of these guys who are clearly completely out of line and probably making things up.

"Hi I'm ceo uf the largggest bakn in umerika and mariot just looosed all my buzienss"

I soooo want to call them out.

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

Agree, i tend to be neutral to complains if they have a valid point. Many people are more driven to complain about a bad experience than to write about a good one.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I am guilty of both "positive" and "negative" posts and for me personally, I would have to agree that over the years ("Charter Member" of MRI since Spring, 2008), the flavor of my posts has trended more towards the negative. But I think there is a real explanation for this.

Change can be embraced or rejected and human nature, for no other reason, typically chooses the latter. Compounding this it that most change within MR has (for the most part) been to most member's dismay. Seven years on MR as a contributor and follower of posts has shown many of the "hottest" topics are about the changes to the program.

BOGO changes soured a lot of members. Doing away with eCerts, Cash Vouchers, changes to MVC, "No Blackout Dates" announcement far from the truth and reality, annual (and predictable) re-categorization of hotels inflation effect on points, changes to the MRI site itself, (fill in the blank ____________). For me personally, No Guaranteed Suites on Points and Free Coffee removed from lobbies (I guess I turned this post "negative" . Even the most lauded change of carryover nights to help retain status (which I thought was actually a horrible idea as it made status achievement less of a "real" achievement diluting the status of uber-travelers) demonstrates that all topics and change will have both positive and negative views.

However, I take a slightly different approach to this as an opportunity (whether more positive or as we both suggest, more negative) as my way of viewing not only my personal experiences with Marriott, but those of hundreds of other posters. I want to hear about the negative experiences as much as the positive experiences - so I can get a feel or trend of the MR program as viewed by the masses. In Feb 2013, I made the decision to stop patronizing Marriott - but I have not directly or intentionally derided the MR program as I really do think it is the premier loyalty program. As commented in other posts, I have LTP, 800K points in my bank, and cannot spend points as fast as I earn them, so for me personally, until the GSOP is instituted by MR, I do wish to see what other chains have to offer. If this is viewed as a negative post because of my admitting I am no longer a 200 paid night loyalist to MR, then perhaps I am one of those who should consider not posting on MR any more.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pingreeman

Your comment was concise and constructive.   You exploitation of your actions over the last few years clearly explains your position. AND (in my opinion) written in the  "positive".

I hope you  will not leave the forum and continue to air your opinions and suggestions.

Crikey, Ping, don't you desert us, you're our resident numbers man

Over the past 7 years of enthusiastic Marriott membership I'd say the changes, pro's and con's can be summarised thus:

ADDITIONS

Free Internet

Free breakfast 7 days per week

Nights rollover

Genuine cash and points scheme

20% increase in Plat points*

No blackout dates (greatly increased redeem-ability)

Lifetime membership scheme

Award nights count as elite

REDUCTIONS

USA weekend lounge closures

2009 devaluation*

2013 cat 9 launched

2011, 2014 & 2015 aggressive category creep

BOGOs removal

Summer Megabonus removal

*these represent the 2009 scheme reorganisation which saw a sliding scale 7-night redemption sweet spot replaced with a 5-for-4 arrangement and the introduction of category 8. It represented a big devaluation for those staying 7 nights at top hotels, for those staying 2 or 3 nights at a time it became slightly more expensive but for plats the increased earnings broadly covered those losses. The big take out from my point of view was the no blackout rule which whilst not genuine last room availability vastly improved availability.

Overall more benefits have been added than taken away but the money saving aspect of the scheme has been reduced, via both the devaluations and end of BOGOs. To be honest I think theres been more ups than downs, 7 years ago I was redeeming at 1.5UScents per point. Earlier this year I redeemed 15 room nights at 5 different North-American Marriotts at 1.3UScents per point, despite the fact that no stays were more than 2 nights each, so although we have lost some value over the years, it's not been gutted.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

pingreeman,

As you know, I have always loved all the contributions you have made over the years, and hated it when you took a "break". I too have been absent somewhat for the last year, due to the amount of time this sometimes takes, to stay involved.

You are right, because I too believe it is both the negative and positive that makes this site worth reading and contributing to. If this was all positive all the time, I would feel like we couldn't try to bring things up to get them changed (or not, many times).

I want to hear the most about good and bad experiences people have, and tips they've uncovered, and suggestions. That's why I'm here

Platinum 28 Reviews

Maybe I get frustrated sooner than the average in this forum. 

For the most part I really do my best (when being serious) to be constructive. Unfortunately (for me) my "style" has a low lever of tolerance for those that post negative comments rather than make an effort to make our life on the road smoother.

My frustration is the feeling that I'm in a minority as to making wrongs right!  I continually read about problems members are experiencing and nothing is done to correct the situation.  Additionally many comments keep repeating that difficulties communicating with Marriott is non-existent.  IF THAT IS TRUE WHY ARE WE AIRING THESE COMPLAINTS.

Airing complaints is NOT negativity.  What is are the members that advise us that problems can't be fixed and the best course of action is to go elsewhere or put up with the lack of services and treatment promised. 

Things get fixed working together!  LET'S TURN POSITIVE IN OUR EFFORTS.

Unfortunately for members out there - this subject, along with my comments, will be continued........

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

All above have pretty much said what I'd say about MRI. 

Yes there are those blowhards who sign in, make their loud and mostly obnoxious negative posts about who knows what and then poof they're gone.  Good for them and good for us as I for one really do not care much for negative (except Marriott/UA partnership ) and let them sound off about leaving Marriott, even better as it gives us more reward chances.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR

I don't consider your opinion of the Marriott/United pact (an opinion that is the feeling of many) "negative" - you were posting what you felt.

Negative (in the context of my question) would be to post - "Marriott sucks, I"m  going elsewhere" - That is the attitude I was referring to when starting this discussion.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I try not to worry about things I can't control. There are many concerns that people have that can be researched( and do ) by the various community managers and this is a good thing . When Marriott changes a policy ( ex cancellation policy) they do it for  a reason- they think will improve their business. I for one may say I don't like it but will not fall on my pick so to speak, as I cant control it. I assume if they get enough complaints on any change or more important see a drop off in business, they will reverse it. In the end we all have the same choice stay or leave. I for one enjoy Marriott and still think it is the best hotel chain. For others if they depart I wish them well.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

My Marriott/UA comment was tongue in cheek as I knew what you meant, I just had to toss that out there to keep it alive!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I think that you are onto something but I goes way beyond this forum.  Our society has become one where the negative outweighs the positive in so many ways.  Look at the Presidential campaigns (and all other election campaigns).  The overwhelming number of speeches and ads focus on complaints.  People win nominations, and to a lessor extent elections, by complaining about the opposition, and not by explaining how they plan to make things better.

I don't think this forum is any worse on that score but it certainly hasn't gotten any better.  One of my first posts, ever dealt with the vast number of people who were announcing their intention to abandon Marriott.

I do try to be positive at least as often as negative, in my posts, but I'm not certain that I succeed!

As I prepare for a trip to Paris, Normandy, and Provence, I shall try to return with some favorable stories about my vacation.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...