23 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2015 9:15 AM by KatieC RSS

How do you travel?

KatieC Member
Currently Being Moderated

Savannah.jpg

Ladies weekend in Savannah, GA

I like having a travel partner. And I have a few…my husband for authentic adventures in new places, my best friends from high school and college to hit the town in one of our favorite cities (usually the Southeast), my coworkers for business travel and late-night brainstorming. I’m not much of a solo traveler (except for my Australia adventure https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/44535)

I love hearing about solo travel, and it always sounds so wonderful when other people tell me about their experiences. It’s not for me.

The best part of traveling is sharing my experience with others. Talking about the delicious food or the cool little shop we discovered, laughing about funny little things that happen along the way or getting lost/finding our way together. I have absolutely NO sense of direction, by the way, which could be one reason I don’t like traveling alone.

One of my travel goals is to get my entire family on board for a destination family reunion. I am always impressed when I see these large groups in hotels. My family is not so easy to herd.

So, how do you travel? Solo? Do you have a travel partner or group? And what do you love about traveling with them?  Looking forward to hearing from you! And I would love any tips on wrangling a group as well.

Happy travels, Insiders!

• Re: How do you travel?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

KatieC, I travel solo all the time.  I love it.  It is good for the soul.  I must be antisocial because the thought of traveling with a group as large as the one in you pic above gives me extreme anxiety.  Fast and nimble is the way to go for me.  Having said that, we did a 12 person Florida adventure this summer with extended family and it was fun and went well.  But we have a house in Florida so we just used that as the central point, and people came and went as schedules allowed.  So not much group wrangling involved.  I also travel all over with Spouse and our 2 school aged kids, and I do trips with one or more of my siblings occasionally, too.  Doing a Miami/Keys trip with my brother and his girlfriend in Dec. and looking forward to it.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews
    Sometimes I think the main reason I travel is to get away from the three females I live with 

(one wife, one daughter, one dog).

Such a pleasure to have a room or suite all to myself - everything where I want it - no yelling, screaming or barking,

Excuse me I need to call Marriott Reservations!!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

misterchk, I feel ya.  Spent last week in HI by myself and loved every minute of having the hotel room all to myself.  Hiked Koko Head, Manoa Falls and Makiki Valley by myself and never felt better.  Nobody argued with me, either!  Not that I don't love traveling with the family, but my favorite traveling companions are me, myself, and I

Platinum 28 Reviews

Very well said clebert

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

My wife is my travel partner (poor lady) and the best part about us traveling together is to share experience first hand rather than through pictures of a place that one of us went without the other.  I'm so very blessed to have a wife that enjoys being with her spouse and loves to see, smell and be in the moment with me.....thank you God!

Now there is my best male friend who I do attend some sporting events like AT&T Pro-Am at Pebble Beach, Indy and NASCAR races without the my wife.  We've been friends for 31 years now and just laugh our way around places.  He will accompany our golf team as the "designated caddy/bartender" to Puerto Vallarta in early December as the six of us enjoy the gorgeous Puerto Vallarta Hotels | CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Y'all need a designated caddy?! That sounds like my kinda round of golf!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

You betchya.....especially since we will have three pilots in the group!!   It will be five rounds of golf so we will need some swing lube for sure.

For the past 35 years, our travel has been exclusively for enjoyment and vacation (and the occasional wedding, funeral, or family gathering). Consequently, I can't imagine traveling -- or gardening or remodeling or pretty much anything else -- without my wife. That's in no way a value judgement regarding the travel modes of anyone else. It simply works for us. ./\/\.

KatieC Member

This is adorable, foxglove! You sound like a great couple!! What's the best trip you've ever taken together?

Thank you, KatieC. I'm going with the safe answer: our honeymoon to Kiawah Island, SC. (It actually was delightful.) We got married in July, and we usually plan a trip around our anniversary, as both our schedules were always less rigid in the summer. Our trip to Santa Fe was one of those. But often, our anniversary trip is to a coastal destination somewhere in the Southeast in order to indulge our seafood cravings: Wilmington, NC; Charleston, SC; Pensacola; Amelia Island; Palm Coast, FL; etc.

I think the one that stands out for me was a motoring trip down to the Georgia coast; then down the east coast of Florida to Miami; across to Naples, FL; and back up along Florida's Gulf Coast through Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Clearwater, and Tarpon Springs; around the turn at the Panhandle to Apalachicola; and finally back home to Northeast Georgia. It took a couple of weeks; we got to visit old friends in Ft. Lauderdale along the way, and we enjoyed each other's company and terrific seafood the entire time.

curiousone Platinum

My travel partner is my wonderful wife of 34 years. Fortunately, we both prefer to arrive early at the airport and people watch, or read, while waiting for our flight. We both enjoy exploring downtowns and love to walk where ever we are visiting, so we have managed to avoid rental cars for the last few years. We also both enjoy sharing meals/treats so we try a variety of eats (even decadent ones, like chocolate covered bacon, since we know we will walk it off). Typically we will travel with my wife's cousin and her husband for a week about every 12 - 18 months. This is typically near a golf resort so he can golf almost every day.

KatieC Member

I like traveling with other couples too, curiousone. And people watching at the airport is one of the best things about travel.

Where did you have chocolate covered bacon? Do you have a picture?

curiousone Platinum

The first time was Frank Hotdogs in Austin, TX. Dark chocolate covered bacon, very good. They also make bacon infused Tito's vodka to use in their Bloody Marys. The second time was Roni-Sues Chocolates in Manhattan. Both dark and milk chocolate covered bacon.

No pictures. For some reason my computer and Insiders do not get along and I can not post pictures, either in IE or Firefox. Best show at the airport is all the sprinters trying to make a plane while sitting back and reading a book.

KatieC Member

This sounds incredible! carat is in Austin, TX as I type and I am telling her to go to Frank Hotdogs NOW.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My travels tend to be alone. It's hard to convince anyone to want to spend hours in the car just to visit county seats across the country. That said, on a couple occasions, my mom had joined me when my county collecting coincides with some other travel objective. She enjoys seeing parts of the country she might not otherwise visit.

And, of course, my significant other joined me in Hawaii earlier this year. She even tolerated a couple drives just to visit the county seat (Hilo took the better part of the day from our hotel, but we visited several waterfalls along the way).

maui.jpg

She lets me travel alone to accumulate enough points to take her special places. We are spending a weekend at the RC Pentagon City in few weeks, so that should be fun (and I get to earn points instead of burn them ).

Most of the time it's just me on the open road, stopping every so often to take a few pictures and mail a postcard. Reaching Marriott at the end of the day is always welcome.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

When I was single all of my travel was solo. I went to probably 50 or more countries and flew 2 million miles or more all by my little lonesome. And I enjoyed the freedom of not having to compromise with anyone and going and doing whatever I felt like.

That kind of changed one day when I was in England (Derbyshire not far from Nottingham) and looking from the top of a hill over a stunningly beautiful landscape and realizing I was alone. No one to share it with.

These days I'm married and my wife goes with me absolutely everywhere. I don't recall the last time I bought a single plane ticket, always 2 at a time. The only compromise is that while I get to go see pretty much whatever I want to, she gets to shop pretty much wherever she wants to.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

My travel partners.  We are the masters of road trips!  A free weekend, a tankful of gas and off we go!IMG_0155.jpg

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I'm with you KatieC,I would have to say that I like traveling with one or two other people.

When it becomes a large group for bachelorette parties or bigger trips (like the 2 weeks to Thailand where there were 10 of us, 4 guys and 6 gals), it tends to get too busy with all the differing opinions, personalities, and time it takes women to get ready to go out!

I don't have too much solo travel experience aside from taking a flight by myself to meet someone at the destination, but I don't think I'd enjoy solo as much as I do with my significant other or with family. I love having someone else to take in the beautiful views, share food, and travel with!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I, almost always, travel with my wife.  Similar loves of travel destinations are among the things that have kept us together for 50 years.  Our honeymoon started at the Key Bridge Marriott in 1966 and we have our 50th anniversary coming up in June.

Incidentally, most of our travel is car trips but we do take about one airline trip in a typical year.

Jsucool76 Gold

I normally travel with my family, though I have had some solo trips. During my recent trip to germany, about 4  of the 9 days were spent solo, and it was an interesting experience. I was a little nervous at first, but it was pretty cool. You get to do what you want to do, don't need to worry about anyone else. Not a care in the world. A few times I was eating lunch and people just sat down with me, and we talked. There isn't a more real experience than that.

Do I think I could always travel solo for all my trips? Probably not, however,I think everyone should take at least one trip alone. It is interesting to say the least.

You bring up a good point, Jsucool76.  When traveling solo, you really get a chance to meet people and immerse yourself in the local culture wherever you are.  I've also traveled with the kids in tow without Spouse, and I was amazed at how much friendly and more approachable people are when you're not with another adult.  Nothing wrong with traveling with others, but there are some unique aspects to going solo.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

years ago when on a business trip solo  would always eat in room but last several yeas I eat out. Some in restaurant but if I have a car use trip advisor and eat in a new restaurant

KatieC Member

I recently stopped into a diner in Waterville, ME on my way to a conference. I had an amazing breakfast (oatmeal with REAL Maine blueberries) cooked to perfection, and I chatted with the locals who obviously go there every morning. I felt like I was in someone's living room and it was delightful.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...