14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2015 11:20 AM by eyesee RSS

$65 extra for 10,000 points: is it worth it?

eyesee Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hello!

I am making a reservation at a Courtyard and for $65 more, I can get a rate that gives a bonus of 10,000 MR points.

What is your opinion?  Is it worth the $65?

I know Marriott itself charges $12.50 per 1000 points, but I think that is too expensive anyway.

Thanks for your input.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: $65 extra for 10,000 points: is it worth it?

Oops, with tax it is $73 more to get the rate with the extra points.

Also, does this have any impact on the MegaBonus for double points?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur Platinum

depends on if you need the points;

you will never get anything for free

following the given variables we can caluculate:

1) 1,000 points is 12.50; so 10,000 points should be 125.00;

2) 73.00 gives you 10,000 points

and, 73.00 is less than 125.00

what is this bonus btw?

10.000 points seems a bit excessive

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

II've seen these kind of offers, and always take the 10,000 points where the difference is $50 (0.5UScent/pt) or less as I can ALWAYS do better than that. I never take at $100 (1UScent/pt) as although I'm not yet redeeming at that level, I'm quite close at times. Your offer is $73 (0.7UScent/pt) so it's in the grey zone.  If I had a redemption planned and they worked out well against the redemption value then I'd take it. And if I was low on points, down to my last 50k or so I would as its good to have a few points in the pocket if (as happens most years) a planned hotel stay has an expensive night I can cover with points...

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

As others have pointed out it's almost a tossup. What I haven't seen mentioned is that you will also earn points on the rate differential. As a Platinum, that's almost 1000 more points ($65 x 10 points per dollar plus the 50% platinum bonus), and  5 more points per dollar if you use a MR Visa.

So the bonus is closer to 11,000 points when all is factored in. Not a big difference, but don't forget about the few extra points when weighing the relative worth. It might be enough to sway the decision.

As for the double points on the MegaBonus, I think that is just base points, so the bonus points will not be included (but the 650 for the $65 higher rate would be doubled).

Adding all the extras might end up yielding a bit over 13k points for your $73. It might just be worth it.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great Insider insight here!  eyesee, do let us know what you end up choosing.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I have an upcoming 3 night stay where I chose to book at a rate that's $20 more to recieve the

Member Exclusive Offer, includes 5000 Bonus Points per stay.

Only my first night is booked at this rate.  The other 2 are a separate reservation using the AAA rate.  I've used this method before, for me it's worth the $20 to get the 5,000 points.

Thank you to all for the input. 

bejacob: What an excellent analysis!  Thank you!  After such a great explanation of the benefits, I will go with spending the extra money. I appreciate the time you took to fully examine all the details in my favor.

muppetwrangler: $20 for 5000 points is without a doubt a bargain.  And, yes, I would do the separate reservations to decrease the rate, if I were staying 2 nights. Great minds think alike.

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

What do you use your points for? If it's hotel stays then 10,000 points gets you one night in a Cat 3 hotel (if they have Saver space available). What's that worth? $75-$100?

With bejacob's analysis, getting the points and then using them toward a Cat 3 hotel room is a wash financially. (The hotel I usually stay in never offers the 10,000 Saver amount, so it costs 15,000 points.)

The purpose now, as it seems to be carefully looking at all this information, would be to add to my accumulated point total to achieve Gold Lifetime Status.  

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Being as Lifetime Gold requires 1.2MM points, this amount seems trivial enough that I'd personally rather spend the $65 on a nice dinner.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

A point of clarification.  I believe Lifetime Gold requires 500 nights and 1.6MM points, not 1.2MM.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I am with John here, the 10,000 is pretty trivial next to the 1,600,000 points needed for LTGold.

The cost needs to stack up next to the value of the points. bejacob analysis does apply for the extra points you'll get on the spend, $65 will for a Plat raise an additional 1,000 points meaning you're actually buying 11,000 points for the $73, that's 0.66UScents/pt. Whether the megabonus element applies will depend on the megabonus you've been offered.

Nonetheless you'll actually receive at least 11,000 points which can redeem for very different values even at the same hotel. Take my recent weekend stay at New York Marquis which redeems at 45,000 points per night, the Saturday was charging at $550 which is $134 for your 11,000 points (1.2UScents/pt) but the very next night was $220 which is $53 for your 11,000 points (0.5UScents/pt).

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If you need the points for a stay then do it.  It's cheaper than buying points, but remember, points are worth about 1.25 per 1,000 points.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. 

The Courtyard I stay if I am lucky, costs $135 a night (cheapest rate I could find) even though it is a Cat 3 hotel.  It is a business hotel, so when I need it midweek at the last minute for my own business stay, the rates can go higher, but it is too late for point redemption.  If I know enough in advance, I can pre-book it for 15,000 points or pay the $135 + tax.

I have the nights for Gold Lifetime Status, but need only about 80,000 points to reach the 1,600,000.  I have Platinum this year due to business travel, but won't meet it nor Gold for next year.  I have both the personal and business Marriott Visas.  However, to spend $80,000 would cost me $1200 of cash back lost with my AmEx.  Not worth it.  So, with this point bonus, I am inching my way to the Gold Lifetime Status.

I think, thanks to all your wonderful input, it is a wash no matter how I look at it. 

Since I am not losing anything, I guess I will go for it.

Thanks for an interesting and enlightening discussion.  I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...