20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2015 10:38 AM by phctourist RSS

Tried Courtyard for the first time in 3 Years, Starbutts still dragging CY Down!

fedupplt Platinum 33 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have not stayed at a CY in over 3 years, since they implemented the switch to Starbutts,

Stayed at a CY in Jax, Fl, with an offer to receive 2000 extra points. The points are not worth the aggravation.

When checking in I asked the person working at the desk if they frequently (more than 50%) have platinum and gold Marriott members. She assured me NO.

Told her I have not been to a CY in over 3 years and why. She awards me with a breakfast coupon.

Thank You.

The front desk staff both at check in  and in the morning were fantastic. Thank You Valerie (?) and Jen.

The Starbutts employee should seek other employment. She is SLOW, has an attitude and is clearly incompetent which is a detriment to the hotel.

Breakfast is scheduled from 7 a.m. At 7:15 Jen from the front desk got coffee for us as Starbutts employee was probably still sleeping.

Starbutts woman shows up.... with a SEVERE attitude.

I ask how long for a breakfast since I needed to leave soon.

She says not that long and walks away!

Arrives from her journey a few minutes later, again I ask how long.

AGAIN she says not that long.

HOW long?

As long as it takes.

It is now 25 minutes since I first came down HOPING to get breakfast.

I Leave, grab breakfast someplace else... BUT, before I go I give my brkfast coupon to someone else.

Get this: The Starbutts woman tells me "You can't be doin that, she need to pay fo her food.

NEVER again!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tried Courtyard for the first time in 3 Years, Starbutts still dragging CY Down!
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Pathetic!

The last time I went to SB's, I asked for a "Black De-Caf"!  They looked at me like I was from "Outer Space"!  They honestly had to make it!

Everyone, in front of me ordered something that I had never heard of, nor ever had.  I guess that just reminds me of what "Stone-age", I come from!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Tried Courtyard for the first time in 3 Years, Starbutts still dragging CY Down!
      psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I am NOT a fan of the revised Courtyard format - don't like the Bistro (not a fan of reheated microwaved food and very average wine).  Also don't like getting up at 5:00am, heading to the lobby for a cup of coffee and having to pay the night front desk attendant to walk over and pump me a lukewarm cup of Starbucks for $2.00.  I would prefer to pump myself a cup of the lukewarm Barista Bold for free!!  Even most regular Marriott's have free coffee in the lobby early in the morning - and all Fairfield's, Springhill and Residence Inns.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Sounds like a terribly frustrating experience, fedupplt.  I'd like to bring this incident to the appropriate teams attention for review.  Would you mind sending me a private message with more details around this experience, the property at which it happened, the dates of your stay and your Rewards Number?  Thanks in advance.

Platinum 28 Reviews

You all should be ashamed of yourselves - how can you criticize the "Official Hotel Of The National Football League"!!! (LOL)

With (generally) alternative Marriott labels available - Residence Inns, Springhill, etc.. which include services (free breakfast, studio rooms,  suites etc) it appears that a Courtyard is a property of "last resort" to Elite Members.

With a Springhill Suites available in the same location with rates that are usually the same or less than a CY only a traveler with "challenged intelligence" would choose the CY..

What surprises me is each attempt Marriott comes up with to improve the brand never includes suggestions from our forum. The differences in quality and services between many of the brands (with the exception of full service properties) have become identical (with CY the only brand not including breakfast).

When are they (Marriott) going to realize that BREAKFAST IS IMPORTANT???

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

or at the very least a cup of coffee.  My wife and I are very early risers and I hate to have to get in my car at 5:00am to go find a Dunkin, when if I stay at any Marriott property other than Courtyard, I can get it in the lobby for free.

Platinum 28 Reviews

psudad

The simple advice would be suggesting you stay in bed longer (LOL)  BUT the reality is many of us (like you) are early risers - even though the property has provided us with the "highest quality" (LOL) of in-room coffee service we  usually venture down to the lobby and find a coffee service available. At least that's the way it used to be.

Evidently "coffee" has become a "major" profit center to all properties (including full service) and they have sold their souls to Starbucks.

Let's update our "scoreboard"  - CY = no free breakfast, no early morning coffee.

AND, you ask, "why don't elite members stay at CY's?

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

I used to always stay at CY in SLC when I visited once or twice a year. Last time I spotted a TownPlace Suites much nearer the part of the valley where I wanted to be. Bigger rooms than CY. Better breakfast. Half the price.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

misterchk, I see you share my amusement with the NFL - CY affiliation.  Like one of the Mannings is going to lay their multi-million dollar heads down on a CY pillow anytime soon.  I think not.  Plus, CY is confused.  Is it a business travelers' hotel or is it an NFL fan's hotel, or what?  Having said that I had a good stay at Courtyard Waikiki a couple of weeks ago because the cost was reasonable, no resort fee, and location was suitable for my needs.  And Spouse often has to use CY when traveling for work because Spouse travels on the US Government's dime, and they seem to have some negotiated rate with CY.  Spouse refuses to stay at CY, FFI, or SHS when we're traveling for leisure, though, unless there are absolutely no other choices available.  Of those three, CY is the worst because it usually costs more and has no free breakfast, so there is less value in CY.  I am a JW/Renaissance/Autograph Collection person myself, and for special occasions, RC.  Plus we have MCVI points and do like those properties.  Rens can be hit or miss as to quality and charm, but there are quite a few good ones. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert we have the same tastes as to Marriott brands - whenever I am in a location where my choice is a fs Marriott or a fs Ren, I usually take the Ren.  Seems they try harder because they are trying to prove they are superior to their sister properties.

misterchk, strange as it may sound, one of the reasons I prefer Ren to the Marriott flagship brand is the Aveda toiletries and the fact that Rens sometimes give you a travel size Aqua Fresh toothpaste.  Can't stand the THANN scented stuff at Marriotts - it gives me a headache.  Plus, Rens are often more urban/hip/stylish in décor/vibe. 

bigmrm Platinum

The newer (i.e. last two years) shampoo is horrible. Way too strong a scent. I did like the orange-ginger before that though.

The soap... well, it's OK soap, but I have 2 observations: 1) We only receive one soap. This is ridiculous and encourages spread of germs. I don't want to keep moving the soap from the shower to the sink. And what if they both are in use simultaneously? And 2) The soap is shaped like a giant suppository. Which is exactly what I think Marriott is doing to me when I get only one soap and when I have to use the overly-scented shampoo.

I missed the poll on this and I guess I'm really stealing the thread. We're supposed to be talking about CYs I guess. So, to connect the two: True, I don't really like CYs but their soap and shampoo are just fine!

I am fine with the Paul Mitchell stuff at CY even though I'm not a big CY fan.  Spouse calls the THANN soap "the shard" (kind of like that skyscraper in London - ha!).  Some of the Marriotts give you a liquid THANN hand soap and some give a smaller round THANN soap, but a lot do only just give you the shard.  Any way you slice it, I wish they'd go back to the orange-ginger stuff.

Platinum 28 Reviews

clebert  We are on the "same page" as to the toiletries  Hate that THANN - not only hate the odor, I hate the soap bar shape!

It also seems I always have bathrobes in my room.  The only time I get bathrobes in a Marriott is when in a suite..

zebra75 Silver

I agree.  My travels have me staying in CY's frequently because we have contracts with them in many locations.  They are my least favorite brand.  As crazy and petty as the complaint sounds, the lack of coffee in the lobby is a HUGE drawback.  I typically have departure flights between 6 and 7 AM.  I don't expect to get a full breakfast at 5:00 in the morning, but it's not expecting too much to get a hot cup of coffee for the shuttle ride. 

fedupplt Platinum 33 Reviews

Prior to starbutts running (ruining) interference with CY, I was staying 60 to 100 nights a year at Marriott properties with about 50% of those nights at CY.

Since Starbutts bribed their way into one of the largest hotel chains, my frequency has dwindled to 20 to 40 nights a year at Marriott.

Lifetime Platinum, I like receiving and using the points... but I am finding W and H work harder for my business.

CY would have to offer me 10.000 points per night to go back!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Breakfast has long been the Achilles heal for CY.  Since becoming Gold (and Platinum shortly thereafter) I have stayed at CY only when there is no other Marriott option.

In the 90s I used to stay at CY frequently, but the frequency has fallen steadily for the last 15 years.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

with all the complaints and fall off of people using Courtyard you would think it would see a drop in occupancy and someone in Bethesda would see that . I personally only use for true convenience

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I think that there has long been a reduced number of Plats and Golds at CY since (relative to other Marriott brands)  CY provides less than the competition.  Nevertheless, except for breakfast and no lounge, they do provide decent value.  As I said, above, I ceased to be a CY fan after attaining Gold and Plat.

I wonder what percentage of Marriott stays are by Golds or Plats, and how that changes for CY.

bigmrm Platinum

To me, it's more than breakfast. Most of the CYs I've stayed in haven't been that great, nor have they been a good value. Oh, definitely there are many exceptions -- I've stayed at some great CYs -- but overall, it's my least favorite brand and I will avoid them when possible.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...