6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2015 3:14 AM by doddsy69 RSS

Online reservation rate vs. actual paid rate?

matsgone Gold 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently reserved a 2 nights stay at the Marriott Courtyard in Lima, Peru via Marriott's website.  The reservation was made in US currency as per the website.  Now, when I checked-out of the hotel, I was charged in the local currency, PEN$ which turned out to be a little more expensive.  In this case, it is not of any real concern to me because the price difference was not big enough to raise a fuss as I got the cheaper weekend rate and only stayed for 2 nights but I guess it could become a concern if I was to stay for an extended period of time.

I was just wondering if it was a normal occurrence when booking through Marriott's website as it had not happened to me before.

Thanks!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Online reservation rate vs. actual paid rate?
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

This is a great question, matsgone.  I do not have much experience with this so I'd like to reach out for better clarity.  Hold tight, I'll let you know what I'm able to find out.   

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Typically, when you make a booking directly through the international reservations, it will reflect the currency in whichever county you are making the reservations.  So it sounds like what you experienced may have been a glitch. Please let me know if you'd like me to take a deeper look. 

matsgone Gold 5 Reviews

Thanks for the info carat, a glitch is what I had figured because I do remember staying in Hong Kong and paying in HK Dollars,  which is why I found this strange.  Do you think that is something they will be fixing?  I guess I should just give a call to the customer service and find out because I will be using this location in the near future.  Thank you very much!! 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I have always reserved at a rate expressed in local currency and it can work out better or worse as currencies fluctuate.  I have booked 16 nights in France in the near future.  Since booking I have watched the Euro drop about 4% so the cost of those reservations has been reduced by $about $125.  Hopefully that will continue during the coming weeks. 

matsgone Gold 5 Reviews

FYI I just called customer service to find the bottom line and the agent said that it was totally normal to see the rate in USD while booking online and that the hotel will ALWAYS charge in local currency upon checkout.  So basically, as phctourist said, it either works in your favor or it doesnt.  I still remember booking online in local currency  when in Hong-Kong...... but the since the agent sounded like he had had a rough day, I didnt push it.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

I Have a reservation for Istanbul and it's showing up in euros but states I will be charged in local currency so will keep an eye on it at check out

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...